HB 2760 to be amended with "lost or stolen" language

45superman

More here

I haven't really figured out the difference between the two amendments to HB 2760, but if either is adopted (and you can bet that one will), we'll be hard pressed to stop this. I've been puzzled by the lack of action on the "lost or stolen" front--apparently, they were just biding their time.

Everybody we called for HB 758 needs to hear from us early tomorrow.

Here's the contact information we used for HB 758:

Representative Suzanne Bassi (R-47th District)

(217) 782-8026

(217) 782-5257 FAX;

Representative Patricia Bellock (R-54th District)

(217)-782-1448

(217) 782-2289 FAX;

Representative Bob Biggins (R-41st District)

(217) 782-6578

(217) 782-5257 FAX;

Representative Sandy Cole (R-62nd District)

(217) 782-7320

(217) 782-1275 FAX;

Representative Joe Dunn (R-96th District)

(217) 782-6507

(217) 782-5257 FAX

Representative Mike Fortner (R-95th District)

(217) 782-1653

(no Springfield FAX listed);

Representative Paul Froelich (D-56th District)

(217) 782-3725

(217) 557-6271 FAX;

Representative Charles Jefferson (D-67th District)

(217) 782-3167

(217) 557-7654 FAX;

Representative Michael Madigan (D-22nd District; Speaker of the House)

(217) 782-5350

(217) 524-1794 FAX;

Representative Sidney Mathias (R-53rd District)

(217) 782-1664

(217) 782-1275 FAX;

Representative James H. Meyer (R-48th District)

(217) 782-8028

(217) 557-0571 FAX

Representative Ruth Munson (R-43rd District)

(217) 782-8020

(no Springfield FAX listed);

Representative Sandra Pihos (R-42nd District)

(217) 782-8037

(217) 558-1072 FAX;

Representative Harry Ramey (R-55th District)

(217) 558-1037

(217) 782-5257 FAX

Representative Ed Sullivan Jr. (R-51st District)

(217) 782-3696

(217) 782-1275 FAX

We should add Rep. Reboletti--they'll undoubtedly put a lot of pressure on him--here's his contact info (no Springfield FAX # given):

Representatvie Dennis Reboletti

(217) 782-4014

Amendment 1 of HB2760 (lost or stolen handgun) passed out of committee 8-5. It's now on the house floor!

Make those calls, people.

I agree that HB758 is a MUCH MORE ONEROUS bill.

But it seems that they are really moving on this lost or stolen thing. I've analyzed the Amendment text and it is similar to HB 1696. The main difference is that the Amendment only applies to handguns (not long guns).

I suspect this is being offered as a way to reduce straw purchases. Straw purchaser gives/sells gun to someone, who later uses it in a crime. Gun is traced to straw purchaser, who claims the gun was stolen. I don't see how this can help for two reasons 1) straw purchaser just claims they didn't know the gun was stolen/missing, and 2) the penalty for failure to report the lost or stolen firearm is a "petty offense" on first violation, and a class A misdemeanor on second violation....neither of which result in the revokation of FOID card unless that person is under 21 years of age.

Thus, I submit that this lost or stolen bill will primarily harass law-abiders, who would report a gun stolen anyway. Just more needless firearm regulation/legislation.

...neither of which result in the revokation of FOID card unless that person is under 21 years of age.

The FOID revocation language is earlier in the amendment (page 4) than the rest of the amendment's verbiage:

The Department of State Police may revoke and seize a

Firearm Owner's Identification Card previously issued under

this Act of a person who fails to report the loss or theft of a

handgun a second time to the Department within 72 hours after

obtaining knowledge of the second loss or theft.

It is not, as far as I can tell, age-dependent.

Would it be possible to note which offices are connected. I spoke to several of the ladies twice.

If someone kept track of that, it would be a good idea--I didn't think to do so.

The only names I can remember are that Reboletti and Cole are in the same office.

From my notes last time:

Same Admin Assist: Biggings/Dunn; Bellock/Pihos; Reboletti/Cole.

May be others but I'm not aware of them.

AB

More here

I haven't really figured out the difference between the two amendments to HB 2760, but if either is adopted (and you can bet that one will), we'll be hard pressed to stop this. I've been puzzled by the lack of action on the "lost or stolen" front--apparently, they were just biding their time.

Everybody we called for HB 758 needs to hear from us early tomorrow.

Superman:

I just scrutinized the two amendments to bill HB 2760. Amendments 1 and 2 have now been adopted by the Executive and Rules committees, respectively. So they are both on the house floor.

The only difference between the amendments is to which law enforcement agency the reporting is mandated.

Amendment 1 mandates that the report must be made to the Department of State Police.

Amendment 2 mandates that the report must be made to the "local law enforcement agency"...such as local police department or sheriff's office.

ICPGV is licking their chops over this.

5/28/08 – Bill to Require Reporting of Lost & Stolen Guns moves into House. House Bill 2760 (Reps. Madigan, Currie & Molaro) is quickly moving through the Illinois House and will be coming up for a vote in the coming days. The bill is similar to HB1696 and allows the State Police to revoke the FOID Card of anyone failing to report a lost or stolen firearm within 72 hours of discovering it had been stolen or lost. Reporting these weapons lost or stolen gives law enforcement the tools to identify individuals engaging in, profiting from such trade and distribution while making gun trafficking more difficult for criminals. Please call your Representative and urge them to pass this important legislation. Click here for a fact sheet on HB 2760.

SB 1007 set for House vote this week. Senate Bill 1007 could come up for a vote this week in the Illinois House of Representatives. This bill would ban the sale, possession and manufacture of large capacity ammunition magazines. These magazines can hold up to 100 rounds of ammunition and are designed to fire off many rounds as quickly as possible. They have also been linked to the Virginia Tech and NIU shootings. Click here for a fact sheet on SB 1007.

Please contact your State Representative and urge them to vote YES on HB 2760 and SB 1007. To find your state representative, visit www.elections.ilgov.org. Let your State Representative know that we need their support on these important bills!

They seem to be counting their unhatched chickens, and are acting as if the amendment (either one of them) has already been adopted, despite the fact that neither has. Granted, the adoption of amendments generally seems almost automatic, but it hasn't happened yet.

Well, so much for my proclamation of "it hasn't happened yet"--they adopted both House Amendment 1, requiring reporting of loss or theft of guns to the state police, and House Amendment 2, requiring reporting of loss or theft of guns to local police--heck, maybe they should make us buy advertising space in the paper, and place a full page announcement.

The House is back in session at 10:30 tomorrow morning--make your calls before then.

The Springfield State Journal-Register thinks it's a great idea.

Our Opinion: Require that all gun thefts be reported

FOLLOWING the arrests of Lee Boyd Malvo and John Allen Muhammad in the Beltway sniper shootings in 2002, authorities discovered that the rifle used in the shootings was one of 238 weapons that had mysteriously gone missing in the previous three years from a gun dealer in Washington state.

Last December, 19-year-old Robert Hawkins shot and killed eight people at a mall in Omaha using an assault rifle he had stolen from his mother’s home. She knew her mentally troubled son had taken the gun, but had not reported the weapon as stolen.

UNDER CURRENT Illinois law, gun owners are not required to report lost or stolen firearms to police. For law enforcement, this often means a quick and unsatisfying end to an investigation of the origins of a gun used in a crime. If the weapon’s owner of record, whether a private citizen or a dealer, tells investigators that the gun had been stolen or lost, the investigation is over.

This opens a gaping loophole for unscrupulous gun dealers, who know they can sell to anyone and, if problems arise later, claim the weapon had been stolen from their inventory. It also provides no incentive to individual gun owners to report thefts of guns — though reporting such thefts probably would be instinctive to the vast majority of firearm owners.

A BILL in the Illinois House would require that all gun thefts be reported within 72 hours of their discovery. Failure to do so would result in loss of the owner’s FOID card. This bill would give law enforcement a better accounting of firearms on the street after residential burglaries and, more importantly, would give investigators more latitude in questioning dealers whose “lost” merchandise is used in crimes.

“All the original gun owner has to say is, ‘It was stolen,’ and the investigation ends,” says Jennifer Bishop, Chicago-based program director for victims and survivors with the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. “This law would let law enforcement continue questioning the owner.”

A 2000 report by the federal bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms revealed that 57 percent of guns used in crimes in 1998 had been traced back to 1.2 percent of the 1,020 dealers operating that year. The vast majority of gun dealers — 85 percent — had no weapons used in crimes traced back to them. Closing the loophole of non-reported lost or stolen guns, then, would affect only a tiny percentage of dealers.

Any bill dealing with firearms is inherently controversial. They draw out a strong and vocal lobby that frames its opposition in Second Amendment terms.

Already in this legislative session, lawmakers voted down a bill that would have required background checks on private gun transfers.

WE CAN'T imagine any responsible firearm owner who would not immediately report a stolen gun when it comes up missing. The same goes for gun dealers. It’s difficult for us to fathom any responsible business with an inventory system so lax that pieces of expensive merchandise simply go unaccounted for until they wind up in a criminal’s hands.

We see this bill — House Bill 2760 — not as a gun control bill but as a responsible ownership bill. We urge the House and Senate to make its passage a priority as this session nears its conclusion.

Apparently, ICPGV expects the House to vote on HB 2760 tomorrow.

5/30/08 –HB 2760, legislation which will require reporting of lost or stolen guns, is set for a House Floor vote tomorrow!

One more night and morning to make those calls. If we waste that time, we get what we deserve.

Apparently, ICPGV expects the House to vote on HB 2760 tomorrow.

5/30/08 –HB 2760, legislation which will require reporting of lost or stolen guns, is set for a House Floor vote tomorrow!

One more night and morning to make those calls. If we waste that time, we get what we deserve.

Lets hope that they spend alot of time "fighting" about the budget and don't have enough time to vote on this. I'm really glad that they cut the day short yesterday because of the storms. ;)

Archived