TRANSPORTING in gun free zones.

"Transported" today on Metra for the first time. Carried unloaded in a case on my lap Metra to Union. The only restroom I know of had a line and two homeless guys occupying the only two stalls. I waited about 15 minutes with another guy to get in one of the stalls.

Finally got in, holstered and walked up and out. The whole thing seemed ridiculous. Handling a firearm in public (even in the privacy of a bathroom stall) is just plain a bad idea. The best place for the gun would have been in my holster the whole time.

If loading in a bathroom at the train station, you're still in violation of the GFZ. It's not just the vehicles that are GFZ's but the train and bus stations as well.

• 2 weeks later...

"Transported" today on Metra for the first time. Carried unloaded in a case on my lap Metra to Union. The only restroom I know of had a line and two homeless guys occupying the only two stalls. I waited about 15 minutes with another guy to get in one of the stalls.

Finally got in, holstered and walked up and out. The whole thing seemed ridiculous. Handling a firearm in public (even in the privacy of a bathroom stall) is just plain a bad idea. The best place for the gun would have been in my holster the whole time.

If loading in a bathroom at the train station, you're still in violation of the GFZ. It's not just the vehicles that are GFZ's but the train and bus stations as well.

Good point! If you have to take public transportation ammunition doesn't have to be in a separate case. So I wonder if something like a Sneaky Pete that can hold a gun and a magazine in your purse or on your belt might fit the bill.

Archived