Rep. Osterman Up To His Stall Tactics...

Ocellairs

Just got off the phone with Rep. Reis office...they called me again. Old man Osterman is up to no good. He's trying to stall HB2607 from reaching the floor. I was told this is one way of trying to keep a bill from hitting the floor.

He's file fiscal notes after fiscal notes.

Take a look at these:

Home Rule Note (Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity)

In the opinion of DCEO, House Bill 2607 pre-empts home rule authority.

Fiscal Note (Illinois State Police)

House Bill 2607 has no fiscal impact on the Illinois State Police.

State Debt Impact Note (Government Forecasting & Accountability)

Would not change the amount of authorization for any type of State-issued or State-supported bond, and therefore, would not affect the level of State indebtedness.

Pension Note (Government Forecasting & Accountability)

Does not amend the Pension Code and would not affect employees covered by any Illinois public pension fund or retirement system.

Land Conveyance Appraisal Note (Department of Transportation)

As there are no parcels of land being conveyed in this bill, there are no appraisals to be filled by the Department of Transportation.

Judicial Note (Admin Office of the Illinois Courts)

Would neither increase nor decrease the number of judges needed in the state.

Housing Affordability Impact Note (Housing Development Authority)

This legislation will have no effect on constructing, purchasing, owning, or selling a single-family residence.

As you can see two of them are beyond laughable... Land Conveyance and Housing Affordability

I'm having trouble figuring out what some of these filings gain him, since he filed them during recess, and were found to have no merit before the House returns to session. It doesn't seem a very effective or well thought out stall tactic.

The minds of the demo's, who knows how they operate. I think we may need to start a drive to have a federal funded program (demo's do this allot you know) to see what just makes them tic.

I suspected maybe he figured he load the bill down with these items, thinking no one was the wiser. Then upon the return of the rest of the reps, they would have their hands full of addressing these items.

Seems someone was expecting this sort of thing, and "bug squashed" them as they rose from their yearly sleep.

Excellent update, Ocellairs. My hat goes off to you. This is exactly the kind of thing we have to be very aware of and do our best to overcome. Polite, persistent, and reasonable communication with the General Assembly should be the way to do it.

As you pointed out, most of those notes are ridiculous. The only relevant ones seem to be Home Rule and the financial impact on the ISP (which turns out to be nothing).

He's still at it. He added this one today:

State Mandates Fiscal Note (Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity)

In the opinion of the Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity, House Bill 2607 creates a local government organization and structure mandate for which reimbursement of the increased costs to units of local government is not required under the State Mandates Act.

I wonder why he's not playing these games with HB2567, too. Also, if any of these notes do lead to a determination that the bill would have an impact (as when the Home Rule note was filed, and the determination was made that the bill would preempt home rule), would this place any additional obstacles in the way of this bill's passage in the House (beyond mere delays)? Once again, good work, Oscellairs.

About the only note Osterman hasn't requested yet is one from his Mom so he can go on a field trip! Eventually, he's got to run out of fiscal notes he can request, right? Let's just hope it happens before this session is over!

Does anyone happen to know if these two bills are on the calendar to be heard/voted on yet?

I wonder why he's not playing these games with HB2567, too. Also, if any of these notes do lead to a determination that the bill would have an impact (as when the Home Rule note was filed, and the determination was made that the bill would preempt home rule), would this place any additional obstacles in the way of this bill's passage in the House (beyond mere delays)? Once again, good work, Oscellairs.

Without looking in detail, I could only guess that there is some wording in this bill that would allow it to pass better than HB2657.

Without looking in detail, I could only guess that there is some wording in this bill that would allow it to pass better than HB2657.

That could be, although the only difference in the wording that I could find pertains to the issuing authority (State Police for HB2567, county Sheriff for HB2607). Come to think of it, maybe it has something to do with the fact that HB2607 was introduced by a Republican, and HB2567 by Democrat. Maybe there's just enough party loyalty that Democrats like sabotaging Republican legislation more than with Democratic bills (even ones they oppose).

That could be, although the only difference in the wording that I could find pertains to the issuing authority (State Police for HB2567, county Sheriff for HB2607). Come to think of it, maybe it has something to do with the fact that HB2607 was introduced by a Republican, and HB2567 by Democrat). Maybe there's just enough party loyalty that Democrats like sabotaging Republican legislation more than with Democratic bills, even ones they oppose).

You could be onto something there. HB2567 has too distinct points of interest.

1. State Police as issuing authority

2. Introduction by a democrat.

My take on one, is the democrats would rather have the state police take control over who says can and can't get CCW...and the state police could be controlled more so by Springfield.

Were as, the locals who the majority would issue with out much of a second thought and who couldn't be controlled by Springfield.

It shouldn't matter much who the issuing authority is, because they're both "shall issue" type bills, that don't leave it up to the issuing authority's discretion. Of course, how it would actually work out is open to question, and you're right, of course, that the State Police would be more fully under central authority than the county Sheriffs.

It shouldn't matter much who the issuing authority is, because they're both "shall issue" type bills, that don't leave it up to the issuing authority's discretion. Of course, how it would actually work out is open to question, and you're right, of course, that the State Police would be more fully under central authority than the county Sheriffs.

I think the local's would be more apt to allow a CCW. Were as the State Bulls would consider the same application as a no go!

Were as, the locals who the majority would issue with out much of a second thought and who couldn't be controlled by Springfield.

Look at the other States for guidance. Local county guys are elected and are subject to political pressure and their own views. State Police are a bureaucracy that once given a job (and budget) they do it. It seems that every State I have applied for to the State police it has been quick and no problem. Every one that went through locals was a huge problem.

Also, when it is done by the counties, you get 70 different interpretations of the law. Look at Missouri and how F*ed up their implementation was. Some counties still do not issue them. In Nevada some counties just issue no problem, Las Vegas makes you register your firearm and dance like a chicken.

If the State police issue, then any problems are statewide, are easily identifiable, and can be fixed. If 90% of the counties everything is fine, but the others aren't working right, then there is nobody to help them.

Archived