Rep Kathy Ryg's Response

Ol'Coach

uhhh...haven't I seen this somewhere before?

As Mr. Monk says:

"The thing is"....I included factual info and "up close" pics of both machine guns pictured in her brochure, pointing out her error in both, and included the actual wording of the IL Code re: machine guns.

No mention of any of that!

Thank you for contacting me concerning my recent mailing on gun control.  I appreciate your input and the information you provided re: the error in the piece. I was negligent in not using an accurate picture and as you point out, the gun pictured in my mailer is a M249 Squad Automatic Weapon and is illegal in Illinois. 

The purpose of my mailer was not to mislead the public or to spread false information, but to inform residents about the type of weaponry which are legal for purchase in Illinois.  Since the federal assault weapons ban was allowed to expire in September 2004, there is currently no state restriction on the sale or possession of military-style semiautomatic assault weapons and rapid fire magazines that can fire up to 100 bullets without reloading.

While we may not share the same views on all (maybe most) gun legislation, I do want to apologize for sending out a confusing message.  Your communication has helped me become better informed on the technicalities of this issue. 

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with me.  Please feel free to contact me at (847) 680-5909 with any additional questions or comments. 

Sincerely,

Kathy Ryg

State Representative – 59th District

...and rapid fire magazines that can fire up to 100 bullets without reloading.

As someone asked in a previous thread,

"...rapid fire magazines..." What is that??? :D

I got the message quoted below and sent the reply below it. In case anyone forgot, my messages were all about her website. I never ONCE mentioned that stupid flier. I'm definitely going to feel free to contact her at that phone number. :D

Kathy Ryg wrote:

> Thank you for contacting me concerning my recent mailing on gun control.  I appreciate your input and the information you provided re: the error in the piece. I was negligent in not using an accurate picture and as you point out, the gun pictured in my mailer is a M249 Squad Automatic Weapon and is illegal in Illinois.

>

>

> The purpose of my mailer was not to mislead the public or to spread false information, but to inform residents about the type of weaponry which are legal for purchase in Illinois.  Since the federal assault weapons ban was allowed to expire in September 2004, there is currently no state restriction on the sale or possession of military-style semiautomatic assault weapons and rapid fire magazines that can fire up to 100 bullets without reloading.

>

>

> While we may not share the same views on all (maybe most) gun legislation, I do want to apologize for sending out a confusing message.  Your communication has helped me become better informed on the technicalities of this issue.

>

>

> Again, thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with me.  Please feel free to contact me at (847) 680-5909 with any additional questions or comments.

>

>

> Sincerely,

>

> Kathy Ryg

>

> State Representative – 59th District

My emails had nothing to do with the lies you told in that flier.  Thank you for confirming that you can't be bothered to read my email even if only for the purpose of putting it in the correct "dishonest form letter" file.

You and your staff are an embarassment to your district.  Have a nice day.

Don Gwinn

Smersh, you're probably right. But I gotta fire another one off anyway! Makes me feel better:

Representative Ryg:

I find no satisfaction in the form letter received as a response from your office regarding the recent “assault weapons ban” mailer.

"...re: the error in the piece."

...THE error? Your mailer was full of errors, erroneously or otherwise!

You state, “The purpose of my mailer was not to mislead the public or to spread false information, but to inform residents about the type of weaponry which are legal for purchase in Illinois.”

Until such time as you inform your constituents of the misinformation with which they were provided, I must question the above statement.

“…I do want to apologize for sending out a confusing message.”

It’s my good fortune, Representative Ryg, that you do not represent me in the House, thus you owe me no apology.

But you do owe your constituents a huge apology. A second mailing informing them of your, let’s call it, “error?” is certainly in order. It wouldn’t even be necessary to state whether it was a lack of knowledge or a lack of ethics that led you to such misinformation!

Wistfully,

Smersh, you're probably right. But I gotta fire another one off anyway! Makes me feel better:

Well done, and I certainly wasn't intending to discourage anyone from contacting her to express indignation. I plan on continuing to do so myself.

Representative Ryg:

I find no satisfaction in the form letter received as a response from your office regarding the recent “assault weapons ban” mailer.

"...re: the error in the piece."

...THE error? Your mailer was full of errors, erroneously or otherwise!

You state, “The purpose of my mailer was not to mislead the public or to spread false information, but to inform residents about the type of weaponry which are legal for purchase in Illinois.”

Until such time as you inform your constituents of the misinformation with which they were provided, I must question the above statement.

“…I do want to apologize for sending out a confusing message.”

It’s my good fortune, Representative Ryg, that you do not represent me in the House, thus you owe me no apology.

But you do owe your constituents a huge apology. A second mailing informing them of your, let’s call it, “error?” is certainly in order. It wouldn’t even be necessary to state whether it was a lack of knowledge or a lack of ethics that led you to such misinformation!

Wistfully,

...I was going to suggest you get on the horn and have a one on one chat with her....till I saw that you wasn't from her district.

...but those who are....why not you do it. Get on the horn!

Archived