Photo

Any Experience With FOIA Rejection Litigation under Sec 1828.506?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 Elmer Fudd

CPA

• Members
  • 5,899 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 03:35 PM

This is a rather technical question where I am seeking some practical experience from anyone that has actually been through an Illinois Freedom of Information Act filing, didn't get the information requested, and then got denied at a second level rejection from an Illinois Attorney General Public Access Counsellor. I have an FOIA filing in the pipeline that I expect will be rejected, at least in part, and am trying to position to deal with several issues...specifically:

• Should the litigation be prosecuted in Sangamon County, or is my county of residence, which would be Cook County be preferable. 
  • Can you confirm is I should actually wait for a decision from the Public Access Counsellor to meet the exhaustion of remedies provisions prior to filing.
  • Is it worth seeking to subpoena the individual executive officers with Illinois State Police as part of this proceeding, or is this more effective through a "due process" filing under 42 US 1983?

My sense is this is a question for the attorneys on the forum but one never knows if someone else has been down the garden path....thanks in advance.

#2 es503IL

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 05:43 PM

EDIT. Disregard.... Didn't read closely. Thought you asked about FOID rejection and not FOIA.

Edited by es503IL, 13 April 2014 - 05:45 PM.

#3 Elmer Fudd

CPA

• Members
  • 5,899 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 05:47 PM

I asked about FOIA it's a hyper technical topic