Can LE see if you have a permit?

jeterlancer

It also depends on whether they have a functioning MVC (MDC, whatever). I was listening to my county SO stopping people left and right and one Deputy said over the radio that he hasn't been able to run tags on his computer for weeks. He was relying on another unit to run 27s, 28s, and 29s. Pretty pathetic to have squads with busted computers when I'm paying $7k in property taxes to this county. City has a StarCom talkgroup that it never uses, but pays for the privilege to use the towers around here. More waste.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Interesting that we don't have what seems like a clear answer to the question. I thought we had numerous LEO's on the forum so I am surprised we didn't get a simple straightforward answer. I have asked this in earlier threads, but not for IL law enforcement which I have always assumed would know that if I am stopped that I have a CCL. My question was about being stopped in another state, and I never was able to get an answer that gave me any confidence either way. I have been concerned about travel that takes me to states where CCL is virtually nonexistent and there is a strong negative predisposition toward anyone with a firearm, like NJ. I wonder if I were stopped for a traffic infraction in NJ, with my IL license plates on my vehicle, would the NJ LEO know that I have a CCL, and further, would it be likely that just knowing this he would feel he has probably cause to involuntarily search my vehicle. Being uncertain about this I have traveled unarmed, despite how uncomfortable that makes me, from IL to NY and New England rather than risk the huge consequences of being found with a firearm in NJ, NY, CT, RI, of MA when traveling to northern New England states.

I also wonder about travel in or outside of IL with a towed RV. If I kept a firearm in this "home", would I be safe from unwarranted searches by law enforcement or is an RV like a travel trailer considered a vehicle? I'd be willing to pay a fee for a consultation with an attorney if I could find an attorney that I had confidence in his/her having the knowledge to really answer these questions.

You should assume if they can, they will. Some places like you mention run the plates on every "Red-State" car they see looking for a permit holder who they then pull over and toss their car hoping to find a carry weapon they can bust them for. Maryland is well known for this.

http://rappnews.com/2015/01/23/senate-limits-out-of-state-access-to-gun-permit-records/139398/

Archived