Highland Park weighs 'Assault Weapon' ban

RockerXX

ALERT - North Shore Townhall Meeting on Municipal Gun Regulations - Thursday, June 13, 7:00pm

Several communities trying to pass so-called "Assault Weapon Bans"

After the passage of IL HB-183 (amended to be CCW) through both houses of the Illinois Legislature, Rep Drury and Lt. Gov Sheila Simon have issued statements urging the passage of local firearms bans during a window of time provided for in the bill.

Simon and Drury are promoting bans on semi-automatic firearms that you own under the guise of "Assault Weapons". This would likely include popular sporting and defensive firearms like the AR-15, and standard-capacity magazines for all kinds of handguns and rifles. Law-abiding gun owners could face confiscation of their firearms or criminal prosecution.

At this time, Deerfield and Highland Park appear to be considering new local ordinances.

What about your town?

If you live in the North Shore area, please come to this Townhall Meeting to learn what you can do to stop this effort to ban your firearms.

What: North Shore Townhall Meeting on Local Gun Regulations

Where: Vernon Township Community Center, 2900 N. Main Street, Buffalo Grove

When: Thursday, June 13, 7:00 pm

Yeah, that's annoying timing. I'm eager to attend, but there's no way I'll be able to get out of work in time to get there at 4:30pm. I might try to go, even if I'm late.

Note that there is a closed session on the agenda and the first scheduled item after that is at 5:30. The item of interest is scheduled for 6:30. The full agenda is at https://www.cityhpil...31333421820.pdf

Later in the week there will be a more detailed agenda packet, available at https://www.cityhpil.com/index.aspx?nid=96

Note that there is a closed session on the agenda and the first scheduled item after that is at 5:30. The item of interest is scheduled for 6:30. The full agenda is at https://www.cityhpil...31333421820.pdf

Later in the week there will be a more detailed agenda packet, available at https://www.cityhpil.com/index.aspx?nid=96

This is great info, Hapless ; many thanks! I'll definitely be there.

Gee I just love how they blatantly pervert Heller. Scalia's opinion addressed NFA stuff like grenades not a rifle with a foregrip (which, by banning it, violates the ADA). Subject to "certain types of governmental regulations (which are outlined below and violate the aforementioned Supreme Court ruling)." "Let's just leave out that pesky 'in common use' thing that Scalia said, we don't like him anyway"

"WHEREAS, in District of Columbia v. Heller, the United States Supreme Court recognized that the Constitutional protections related to firearm ownership is not unlimited, and can be subject to certain types of governmental regulations; and

WHEREAS, in its Heller decision, the United States Supreme Court specifically acknowledged that the protections afforded by the Second Amendment to the Constitution of the United States does not extend to all types of firearms; and"

I'm looking forward to being there for Mondays town meeting. According to the agenda packet, the town has received about 24 emails from individuals supporting the ban. I'll be interested to see how many turn up for the meeting.

It will be interesting how many email they get opposing the ban - if they report that.

That is the question!

I lived in HP for about 5 years before I moved to Deerfield. It is about as far left as you can get politically. Of all the suburban towns, I'd say Highland Park is the most likely to pass an AWB.

If only one town passes an AWB, Evanston gets my vote. But we're arguing over nothing, they'll both pass something.

Gee I just love how they blatantly pervert Heller. Scalia's opinion addressed NFA stuff like grenades not a rifle with a foregrip (which, by banning it, violates the ADA). Subject to "certain types of governmental regulations (which are outlined below and violate the aforementioned Supreme Court ruling)." "Let's just leave out that pesky 'in common use' thing that Scalia said, we don't like him anyway"

"WHEREAS, in District of Columbia v. Heller, the United States Supreme Court recognized that the Constitutional protections related to firearm ownership is not unlimited, and can be subject to certain types of governmental regulations; and

WHEREAS, in its Heller decision, the United States Supreme Court specifically acknowledged that the protections afforded by the Second Amendment to the Constitution of the United States does not extend to all types of firearms; and"

I think there are two thing that someone attending should raise although they seem to be technical. First, notice in the preamble that :

WHEREAS, many courts throughout the nation have upheld local regulations restricting or prohibiting the ownership or possession of assault weapons, including, without limitation, the State of Illinois Appellate Court, the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, and the Court of Appeals for the State of California; and

Please point out that the Illinois Appellate Court was overturned by the Illinois Supreme Court regarding the Cook County ban being a violation of the Second Amendment. Also, point out that when, not if, the ordinance is challenged, the standard that will be applied will be "strict scrutiny" which means THEY, the Village, will have to prove by empirical studies, that mean facts, not feelings, that their ban WILL make them safer in Highland Park. They will have the burden of proof. Strict scrutiny is what the judge in Wilson will be applying at the trial. Over 4 million law abiding Americans use semi-automatic rifles for lawful purposes and all data is on our side.

Should be able to do that in 3 minutes.

so you pass the Carry law. Then you go shooting close to where you live When you go you drive through another town and get pulled over now soon you would be a felon?? That is BS

If the carry law passes, that will preempt all transportation issues. You can drive through Highland Park with your AR-15 unloaded and in a case. THe problem is if the carry law does NOT pass.

Please point out that the Illinois Appellate Court was overturned by the Illinois Supreme Court regarding the Cook County ban being a violation of the Second Amendment. Also, point out that when, not if, the ordinance is challenged, the standard that will be applied will be "strict scrutiny" which means THEY, the Village, will have to prove by empirical studies, that mean facts, not feelings, that their ban WILL make them safer in Highland Park. They will have the burden of proof. Strict scrutiny is what the judge in Wilson will be applying at the trial. Over 4 million law abiding Americans use semi-automatic rifles for lawful purposes and all data is on our side.

Should be able to do that in 3 minutes.

Thanks for the info, Hi Impact. Will do.

In the packet they reported only four emails against the ban. There was, however a cut off date after which additional emails were not included. I know my email was not included in that list of four.

I sent several emails, all before the "cutoff", none of which were included in the packet, reasons unknown but there are some obvious possibilities.

The latest email from ISRA includes the following:

The Highland Park meeting is now higher profile, and is expected to be packed with anti-gun zealots sent by the 10th Congressional District Democrats, an organization long dedicated to removing your right to keep and bear arms. Please attend this meeting if you can. Get there at least 1 hour early, please.

Status?

Archived