Photo

Hi point c9 9mm

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
52 replies to this topic

#31 Bud

• Members
  • 7,572 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 01:51 PM

I would be very hesitent to buy a HiPoint. They do not have a very good rep and there are much better guns just dollars more.

This is a gun poster that frequently shows up on many of the gun forums.

Posted Image

If you do a Google search for reviews on the HiPoint there are quite a few that are not favorable. Here's some quotes:

Picky Eater- Since the action is straight blowback, the breach does not tip back to align with the feed ramp, and the feed ramp suffers from poor polishing. The result is a weapon that will not feed non-jacketed ammo. So those super-cheap reloads that you got for $.03 a round? Donít even try. Itís embarrassing. Even low-power jacketed ammo can be problematic. While straight-blowback is inherently simple, it necessitates a heavy slide and recoil spring, and if you have an anemic round, it may fail to throw the slide all the way back, and cause the weapon to feed the next round improperly. Half an hour with a Dremel tool will polish the feed ramp to the point that many of the feeding problems will disappear, and is not the sort of thing that requires a skilled gunsmith. That being said, both Federal and Remington 9mm Luger FMJ feed reliably and consistently right out of the box.

So shoot decent ammo! The weapon is +p rated, and using jacketed +p ammo completely eliminates this issue.

Weight- 9mm handguns should be thin and light. This one is not. Fully loaded, this beast weighs almost as much as my .357. It boasts unloaded weights of 30 oz., while competitors are fully 1/3 lighter with better ammo capacity. It has a polymer frame, but its design necessitates a big, heavy slide to operate reliably. You definitely have a BIG, HEAVY slide to deal with. The only plus to this is that with 9mm, the weight makes recoil non-existent, even with the hottest loads around.

No Staying Power- Stock single-stack magazines hold 8 rounds, and the big one holds 10. Springfield XD-9 has a 20-round stick and is lighter. Enough said.

This is not a gun you would want to trust your life on and also not a gun for concealed carry
Bud

Winter is coming
and the White Walkers are already attacking the cities

ITWT Club Member 001

ONE STATE- ONE LAW

#32 Talonap

• Members
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 05:08 PM

I would be very hesitent to buy a HiPoint. They do not have a very good rep and there are much better guns just dollars more.

This is a gun poster that frequently shows up on many of the gun forums.

Posted Image

If you do a Google search for reviews on the HiPoint there are quite a few that are not favorable. Here's some quotes:

Picky Eater- Since the action is straight blowback, the breach does not tip back to align with the feed ramp, and the feed ramp suffers from poor polishing. The result is a weapon that will not feed non-jacketed ammo. So those super-cheap reloads that you got for $.03 a round? Donít even try. Itís embarrassing. Even low-power jacketed ammo can be problematic. While straight-blowback is inherently simple, it necessitates a heavy slide and recoil spring, and if you have an anemic round, it may fail to throw the slide all the way back, and cause the weapon to feed the next round improperly. Half an hour with a Dremel tool will polish the feed ramp to the point that many of the feeding problems will disappear, and is not the sort of thing that requires a skilled gunsmith. That being said, both Federal and Remington 9mm Luger FMJ feed reliably and consistently right out of the box.

So shoot decent ammo! The weapon is +p rated, and using jacketed +p ammo completely eliminates this issue.

Weight- 9mm handguns should be thin and light. This one is not. Fully loaded, this beast weighs almost as much as my .357. It boasts unloaded weights of 30 oz., while competitors are fully 1/3 lighter with better ammo capacity. It has a polymer frame, but its design necessitates a big, heavy slide to operate reliably. You definitely have a BIG, HEAVY slide to deal with. The only plus to this is that with 9mm, the weight makes recoil non-existent, even with the hottest loads around.

No Staying Power- Stock single-stack magazines hold 8 rounds, and the big one holds 10. Springfield XD-9 has a 20-round stick and is lighter. Enough said.

This is not a gun you would want to trust your life on and also not a gun for concealed carry

On the other hand, a lot of the opinions you will find on the web are from people who have never owned nor even shot them - just think because they are inexpensive, they must be garbage. Go to the HP Forum http://www.hipointfi...Forum/index.php and get the real information from people who actually know about the firearm.

#33 Uncle Harley

• Members
  • 6,044 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 07:15 PM

There is one thing you can count on when you purchase a hi point......you will piss off non-highpoint owners. LOL They will eat any round and come back for more, The ONLY downfall is the 8/10 rnd mag and they are klunky.
"A river cuts through a rock not because of its power but its persistence." - Jim Watkins

" Never argue with an idiot, passers by won't be able to tell you apart "- Grandpa

#34 Talonap

• Members
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 04:16 PM

There is one thing you can count on when you purchase a hi point......you will piss off non-highpoint owners. LOL They will eat any round and come back for more, The ONLY downfall is the 8/10 rnd mag and they are klunky.

:laugh: Oh so true! Some of the mags do require a bit of "Tweeking", but it's easy. Have heard the 10 rounders aren't as good as the stsndard ones - don't have any, so I don't know...

#35 Uncle Harley

• Members
  • 6,044 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 04:59 PM

:laugh: Oh so true! Some of the mags do require a bit of "Tweeking", but it's easy. Have heard the 10 rounders aren't as good as the stsndard ones - don't have any, so I don't know...

"A river cuts through a rock not because of its power but its persistence." - Jim Watkins

" Never argue with an idiot, passers by won't be able to tell you apart "- Grandpa

#36 Uncle Harley

• Members
  • 6,044 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 05:02 PM

They are fine, but add to the klunkyness. I prefer the 8 rd. The 10 rd mag is a universal and will fit either the 380 or 9mm. If you have a Hi-point with feed problems, it's not the gun, it's the mag. If you can go to the forums off their website and there is a picture diagram how the mag should look and some slight mods if you happen to have a bad one.

#37 jnaese08

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 11:45 AM

WOOOO HOOOOOO I got my Hi Point c9 9mm today!! And my local gun shop I went through threw in a box of ammo!! The bad part now is I promised id take my daughter to an infatable jump house. So I won't be able to shoot till at least tomorrow :-(

#38 Talonap

• Members
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 12:46 PM

WOOOO HOOOOOO I got my Hi Point c9 9mm today!! And my local gun shop I went through threw in a box of ammo!! The bad part now is I promised id take my daughter to an infatable jump house. So I won't be able to shoot till at least tomorrow :-(

Where is your gun shop? I want to go there! Glad you made the plunge - just don't take it with you to the jump house. :frantics:

#39 jnaese08

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 12:50 PM

Where is your gun shop? I want to go there! Glad you made the plunge - just don't take it with you to the jump house. :frantics:

The gun shop is in Bradley IL Rodgers ammo. Father and son own it. And are very helpful and noligable. Or however you spell it

#40 Talonap

• Members
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 01:16 PM

The gun shop is in Bradley IL Rodgers ammo. Father and son own it. And are very helpful and noligable. Or however you spell it

Thanks for the info! My wife and I will be going down there for the ISRA Open House on 25 June in Bonfield. Maybe we should look him up. Do they have a website?

#41 Uncle Harley

• Members
  • 6,044 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 01:21 PM

where I work they are selling raffle tickets for a high point 9mm 2 yrs ago, I won a stoeger 20 ga over/under I don't need another 9mm, but tickets are cheap and it goes to a good cause so I may just have to buy a few.

#42 jnaese08

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 01:25 PM

[quote name='Talonap' date='08 April 2011 - 01:16 PM' timestamp='1302290219' post='260305']
[quote name='jnaese08' date='08 April 2011 - 01:50 PM' timestamp='1302288638' post='260300']
[quote name='Talonap' date='08 April 2011 - 12:46 PM' timestamp='1302288361' post='260296']
[quote name='jnaese08' date='08 April 2011 - 12:45 PM' timestamp='1302284725' post='260265']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks for the info! My wife and I will be going down there for the ISRA Open House on 25 June in Bonfield. Maybe we should look him up. Do they have a website?
[/quote]

Yes they do have a website
www.rodgersammo.com
On sat they are open 10-2.

#43 Jeffrey

• Members
  • 7,324 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 01:26 PM

I've had the .380 for years. I've put hundreds of rounds through it and could count on 1 hand how many problems i've had. No it is not something you would bet your life on. I paid 70 bucks for a brand new one. It is great for the ol lady to shoot or the youngens'. Recoil is minimal. If my life did depend on this piece and the rare chance that it jammed, you could always throw it at the bad guy. Its heavy enough to knock down a small bear.
...and justice for all

YOUR WALLET, the only place Democrats care to drill

#44 jnaese08

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 01:27 PM

where I work they are selling raffle tickets for a high point 9mm 2 yrs ago, I won a stoeger 20 ga over/under I don't need another 9mm, but tickets are cheap and it goes to a good cause so I may just have to buy a few.

It never hurts to add a few more to collection

#45 THE KING

• Members
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 01:31 PM

Nice job Josh.

The hardest part about getting a new toy is not being able to go shoot right away. Especially in your case where you can go to the range just down the road from your house. :frantics:

NRA Patriot Life Member - Endowment
ISRA Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
ISP Certified Illinois Conceal Carry Instructor
Retired Professional Firefighter / Paramedic

#46 Talonap

• Members
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 01:35 PM

[quote name='jnaese08' date='08 April 2011 - 02:25 PM' timestamp='1302290737' post='260310']
[quote name='Talonap' date='08 April 2011 - 01:16 PM' timestamp='1302290219' post='260305']
[quote name='jnaese08' date='08 April 2011 - 01:50 PM' timestamp='1302288638' post='260300']
[quote name='Talonap' date='08 April 2011 - 12:46 PM' timestamp='1302288361' post='260296']
[quote name='jnaese08' date='08 April 2011 - 12:45 PM' timestamp='1302284725' post='260265']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

www.rodgersammo.com
[/quote]

Thanks again for the information! We go down there on Friday, stay over Firday & Saturday, and come back Sunday. Even though we only live in Matteson, it's like a mini-vacation. A lot less hassle and we get to spend the whole day at the Open House without having to worry about travel time. :headbang1: Ever been there? We went for the first time last year and had a great time. A bit hot and humid, but hey, there were guns!

#47 jnaese08

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 01:36 PM

Nice job Josh.

The hardest part about getting a new toy is not being able to go shoot right away. Especially in your case where you can go to the range just down the road from your house. :frantics:

I know with the ISRA range only 4 miles from my house it is hard. The second hardest part is with me not working a lot right now coming up with the membership dews:-( I had to take a lil bit out of each check to be able to get it

#48 jnaese08

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 01:40 PM

[quote name='Talonap' date='08 April 2011 - 01:35 PM' timestamp='1302291348' post='260315']
[quote name='jnaese08' date='08 April 2011 - 02:25 PM' timestamp='1302290737' post='260310']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

www.rodgersammo.com
[/quote]

Thanks again for the information! We go down there on Friday, stay over Firday & Saturday, and come back Sunday. Even though we only live in Matteson, it's like a mini-vacation. A lot less hassle and we get to spend the whole day at the Open House without having to worry about travel time. :headbang1: Ever been there? We went for the first time last year and had a great time. A bit hot and humid, but hey, there were guns!
[/quote]
Actually I was out there for the first time last week and picked up a memberhip app. Like I just said to The King I'm only 4 miles from there. Now if the construction season would start and pick up a lot id be fine lol

#49 bob

• Members
  • 5,153 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 06:40 PM

I bought a HiPoint in 45acp from kenny. It is fun to shoot. I don't recall how much it was, maybe $150.

It is huge compared to a 1911.

It is nothing fancy. Not much in the feature department.

I do not even know if you can get a holster for it.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

The opinions expressed by this poster do not reflect the official stance of Illinois Carry. Apparently there was some confusion on the part of at least one person that it does, and I want to make things clear that my opinion is my own and that whatever the official stance of IC is or is not at present, it may or may not reflect my own opinion.

http://ilbob.blogspot.com/

#50 jnaese08

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 06:50 PM

I bought a HiPoint in 45acp from kenny. It is fun to shoot. I don't recall how much it was, maybe $150.

It is nothing fancy. Not much in the feature department.

Yes it is big but for my first pistol ohwell and I have a holster that fits it like a glove.the one thing that I do like is that if you have the clip out and a round is in the chamber it WON'T fire and the lifetime warranty helped to. Next purchase is a ruger lcp 380 for the wife

#51 lee n. field

• Members
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 07:18 PM

I bought a HiPoint in 45acp from kenny.

Posted Image

("That's a joke, I say, that's a joke, son." )
"Woe to you who desire the day of the LORD!
Why would you have the day of the LORD?
It is darkness, and not light,"

#52 moparcardave

• Members
  • 2,304 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 08:01 PM

I have learned in many years that that you don't ever downgrade a man's gun. A Highpoint will kill just as well as a high dollar gun. It's the one doing the shooting that will make a little bit of differnce. I have some expensive guns an I have and have had cheaper guns. I never did get rid of one because it didn't go bang.

It's an American made gun and not a lot of those made anymore. Congrats to anyone that buys one, welcome to the world of shooting.
Guns don't kill people, Gun FREE zones kill people!

WHY CARRY A GUN? Because carrying a Cop would be too heavy.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials."
--George Mason, 3 Elliot, Debates at 425-426.

#53 defaultdotxbe

• Members
  • 5,847 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 08:32 PM

its actually only 1/10 of an inch wider, but it feels a lot bigger because of the way the slide is squared off instead of rounded

Yes it is big but for my first pistol ohwell and I have a holster that fits it like a glove.the one thing that I do like is that if you have the clip out and a round is in the chamber it WON'T fire and the lifetime warranty helped to. Next purchase is a ruger lcp 380 for the wife

what i like about the hi point is when you lock the slide back with the safety, after you load the magazine you can release the slide with your thumb to chamber the first round, rather than having to bring your left up to the slide, and then back down into a shooting position. seems to me like the 1/2 second you save can be very valuable someday

only problem is if i load more than 6 rounds (federal hydro shock) in the mag it wont feed, but it feeds FMJ no problem, and im not the only one with that problem

"The cheek of every American must tingle with shame as he reads the silly,
flat, and dishwatery utterances of the man who has to be pointed out to
intelligent foreigners as the President of the United States."
-Chicago Times review of Lincoln's Gettysburg Address.