Laser sight in Chicago vs catalytic converter theft

Euler

CWBChicago

The witness told police that the crew fled in a black Cadillac. Minutes later, cops spotted a black Cadillac driving around the area with its headlights off and pulled it over.

A drill and saw were lying in plain view on the car's back seat and two catalytic converters were inside the trunk, prosecutors said Wednesday. Cops also allegedly found a loaded handgun with a defaced serial number in the glove box.

ADISA-BOWLING-and-CPD-gun-photo.jpeg

Prosecutors charged the driver, 33-year-old Adisa Bowling with possessing a firearm with a defaced serial number, unlawful use of a weapon, theft, and driving on a suspended license.

It was the second time Bowling had been arrested in four days. Last Friday, prosecutors charged him with manufacture-delivery of narcotics. He got out of jail on a recognizance bond Saturday. Bowling has seven previous felony convictions -- five for narcotics, one for gun possession, and one for escape, prosecutors said.

His defense attorney said he lives with his wife and has twelve children.

After hearing the state's allegations, Judge Charles Beach said the scenario of stealing car parts in a residential area while armed with a handgun is "a recipe for disaster, quite frankly."

I'm confused. I thought laser sights were horribly dangerous devices (in Chicago), worse than the firearm itself, but no charge was filed.

They can't charge him criminally for the laser. It's a city ordinance, not a state law. They will usually confiscate the gun, and I'd think charge you administratively in their kangaroo court and fine the crap out of you after stealing your gun for daring to have a laser on it. We wouldn't want the gangbangers actually hitting their criminal targets rather than innocent children during drive bys, now would we?

Archived