No charges for concealed carrier who used his weapon to stop a robbery on the cta

jim123

The following quote is from the original article from 2019. The link is also in the story:

https://cwbchicago.com/2019/12/no-charges-filed-against-good-samaritan-who-held-cta-robber-at-gunpoint-the-robber-was-not-so-lucky.html

The private citizen holds a valid Firearm Owner’s ID card, but prosecutors spent Wednesday mulling the possibility of charging him with a variety of weapons offenses, including possession of a firearm on CTA property.

Ultimately, they released him without filing charges, a Chicago police spokesperson said.

I'd be curious to know if there were any other effects on the CCL holder, e.g. having to surrender a firearm for a period of time, etc.

No punishment for assault and theft.

Seems like she knows her stuff.

"Instead, Judge Ursula Walowski, who regularly sits in the Criminal Division, stepped in and ordered Laureto held without bail, saying he poses “a real and present danger” to the public."

Man charged with breaking judge's window with snowball ordered held without bond

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/breaking/ct-met-snowball-broke-window-no-bond-20180220-story.html

What's interesting; there seems to be conflict in the articles.

One says he has CC but the others just say he has a FOID?

I do not know if it matters. At the time of the robbery he could have been FOID carrying, which is legal on the CTA.

He could have removed an unloaded gun from its case.

I am just listing possibility.

It is not unheard of for police or prosecutors to not prosecute minor offenses if they occur to prevent or stop a greater harm.

In this case it was the robbery.

Quiet Observer, I am not sure if you are trying to be a snarky jerk or just genuinely have concerns regarding the privacy of a fellow gun owner but let me respond.

Kim Foxx has a history of using both a racial and political lens to decide whether she will prosecute a person. Do you honestly not believe that had the person been a white, Trump hat wearing, NRA member from Sumner IL that he might be more likely to be charged than a black, Democrat elected official or other politically connected person? Kim Foxx herself made this racial with statements she made shortly after being elected the first time.

I am not asking for the persons name, address, social security number, birth certificate and tax returns but a little more information might be interesting.

SDF - Why are you trying to debate it here? We clearly don't hold the keys. If you have a burning desire to get these questions answered, don't you think the most obvious solution would be to send a FOIA request to Foxx? I will warn you though, police reports generally don't require the inclusion of political affiliation, business ties, and demographics other than his physical appearance. Where exactly do you think that kind of intel would come in light of this situation?

Frankly, I think the angle I think you are headed with this, has nothing to do with it. It is probably more a function of of the Democratic's over all strategy of avoiding charges on borderline cases that might undermine the the current status quo, and increase gun owner rights if the case is lost. The local Dem's have learned the hard way to drop charges on those that have the potential to bite back.

JMHO.

Are you just ok with the fact that some people might enjoy being allowed to break the law while the hammer would be lowered on others for the same exact action? Might that information be useful to those lobbying on our behalf in Springfield? I, personally, do not want to know because I am some sort of busybody. I want the information out to the public so citizens can see the hypocrisy of it all.

I think that any time someone breaks the law, they should be charged to the full extent of the law. Only then can the law be scrutinized for it's constitutionality. However, the fact is, the application and enforcement of laws have been biased based on politics and other influences since the beginning of time. You're going to change that?

I do not appreciate nor support virtually anything that Foxx does, but if you think you can change things, by all means contact her. If the Jesse Smollett situation didn't register, regarding trying to force her to bring charges, I suppose nothing will.

That said, I think when you add in citing the elements of the individual that you did, (Demographics, political ties, business ties etc) that immediately undermined your post. Had the guy been charged, and his name released, you might have been able to do the costly research to learn some of this, but to what end? However, seeing the individual wasn't charged and his info wasn't released, it makes identifying the person all the much harder. But still, what's your point? Are you trying to present some kind of inappropriate ongoing policy or conspiracy based on a single case?

I'm not saying not to scratch your itch. I'm just telling you that trying to identify the person, and certainly dig into the PI elements you think are relevant to your undisclosed objective certainly isn't going to be embraced or assisted here. No sense in arguing with folks here about it.

Very eloquent post. What you should have just posted was:

I don't give a damn what happens. No one on Illinois Carry gives a damn what happens. We can't fix it. You are naughty for asking questions.

I'm actually trying to be more restrained in my posts as a result of considerable guidance from the moderators here. Whenever I post in a manner that makes more sense to me, my posts tend to get deleted faster than I can hit the post button. I see my post above still remains, so it seems I'm making progress. Good luck with your endeavor.

Were the details about the shooter ever revealed publicly? I would not want to take the fact that he was not charged to mean that it is likely that the NEXT time someone carries and uses a gun on the CTA that they will not be charged. The political climate being what it is, I suspect that if the shooter himself is seen as part of the “victim class” he would less likely be charged, but if he is a member of the “oppressing class” he more likely would be charged. That’s why it would be good to know the details.

This all makes me think about the best selling novel “Bonfire of the Vanities” by Tom Wolf where an innocent man is charged with a serious crime because he was very rich, driving a Mercedes, and white, and this gave the white District Attorney a good case to show the black community that he was not showing favoritism to a white man. Politics, not facts determined much of what occurs in the novel and I doubt that real life is any different.

Vito - Did you not read the entirety of the posts above? If you potentially want to learn more about this guy, send a FOIA request to Foxx - but don't hold your breath. NOBODY here is researching and compiling this information on folks who are NOT charged for obvious reasons. I mean, if they don't charge, what exactly are you going to do to change things, if much more powerful people couldn't force very appropriate charges against Smollett??

We all get that there are a number of variables involved in determining who get's charged in these cases, including the politics. Frankly, politics probably has more to do in this State than just about anything else.

Yeah, I don't think it's normal operating procedure to be identifying folks involved in situations where they are not charged. Sure, if the media happens to be lucky and witnesses the event or the very early aftermath, they might be of use, but that's probably a low proportion, especially with no shots fired and no injuries between the two individuals involved. Had the guy shot or killed the perp, I very much suspect we'd know more.

Archived