How to Appeal Revoked or Denied FOID

Thanks, again - it's been about twice that now - if I call the ISP number on the application/registration site would they have visibility to its status?

Or is that a completely different set of people/processes?

Thanks (happy thanksgiving to everyone) - John

You might try this email address:

ISP.CCW.Illinois@illinois.gov

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, again - it's been about twice that now - if I call the ISP number on the application/registration site would they have visibility to its status?

Thanks, Molly - sent an email that day (over 2 weeks ago) with some relevant details, so they could match to the faxed form. Silence.

No idea (except the fax receipt) that it's been received/filed/ignored :)

Any thoughts? Don't necessarily need to know it'll be done tomorrow :), but I would like to know it's somewhere in process.

Thanks again - if there's anything else to try, please lmk!

Thanks, Molly - sent an email that day (over 2 weeks ago) with some relevant details, so they could match to the faxed form. Silence.

No idea (except the fax receipt) that it's been received/filed/ignored :)

Any thoughts? Don't necessarily need to know it'll be done tomorrow :), but I would like to know it's somewhere in process.

Thanks again - if there's anything else to try, please lmk!

Seems like they respond that my speak is being reviewed. The first time I received this email I was thinking ok I am getting somewhere. Once I checked the site and it still says FOID is revoked. I initially thought they denied my appeal and I was only waiting on a denied letter. Fast forward a couple of years and I received same email after I left message and made a few request for help from the governor. This board is great. Molly has been so helpful. I hope everyone has a nice safe holiday.

• 2 weeks later...

We tried the court petition in Richland County last February. The court had never seen the petition before and sent a copy to the ISP for a ruling.

The ISP consequently sent their copy to the Illinois Attorney General's Office for their ruling.

The Attorney General's Office said you must be denied three times before filing the court petition that his appeals had not been exhausted.

My court petition is on file at the Wayne County Courthouse from 2010

Edited by Giant Teddybear

Hello, I’m am unsure if a similar issue has been answered on here but I had an Order of Protection in 2019, the judge favored the other person and I was given a year until the order of protection expired. I turned in my foid and firearms over and was wondering if I had to fill out an appeal form to get my foid back? What would the process be after having the order of protection expire?

• 4 weeks later...

I checked my status on the portal after speaking with my state representative these past 2 weeks, it is now under review for FOID finally got an update after 297 days.

My appeal will be a year(365 days) in about a week or so and nothing. You can see in this thread all that I’ve done. I too have logged into the State Police FOID portal but it has no information to give me like you say. It just says DENIED. I would like to contact my state representative also. But she was just elected and is a republican. And seeing as this administration is democratic I don’t want to ruffle any feathers to hinder my application. In an email I received from the state police when I requested an administrative hearing they told me the appeal process is on a 1st served basis. Which now I believe is a bunch of horse hocky since mine was submitted before yours. I am about to lose faith in this. There needs to be a law or bill to make them address an appeal in a timely manner like they are supposed to in the case of issuing new applicants. This is their way of hindering the 2nd amendment in my eyes unfortunately.

I checked my status on the portal after speaking with my state representative these past 2 weeks, it is now under review for FOID finally got an update after 297 days.

You know what screw it I’m contacting my representative, what do I have to lose. @ChipKipperly how did you do it? Did you just contact the representative with a letter or a phone call? Did you give the representative everything like what was submitted in your appeal to the ISP?

You know what screw it I’m contacting my representative, what do I have to lose. @ChipKipperly how did you do it? Did you just contact the representative with a letter or a phone call? Did you give the representative everything like what was submitted in your appeal to the ISP?

That's how I felt I would definitely give them call I was hesitant to contact with them being until, I emailed them and got called back the same week I only gave them my app and foid number.

Enable GingerCannot connect to Ginger Check your internet connection

or reload the browserDisable in this text fieldEditEdit in GingerEdit in Ginger×

Edited by Chip Kipperly

That's how I felt I would definitely give them call I was hesitant to contact until, I emailed them and got called[/size] back the same week I only gave them my app and foid number.[/size]

Enable GingerCannot connect to Ginger Check your internet connection

or reload the browserDisable in this text fieldEditEdit in GingerEdit in Ginger×

Thanks

Good Morning:
I'm new to the group and am looking for some help. In May of 2020 I applied for my FOID in order to eventually to get my CCL. In January 21 after waiting 8 months, I received a denial stating "due to the inability to complete your background. The Illinois State Police is missing evidence pertaining to your arrest or conviction that may result in a prohibition from possessing firearms. 430 ILCS 65/4(2)."

I had a background but filed for and was granted a pardon in 2001. In 2014 my record was expunged/sealed. I'm confused. Since my record was expunged/sealed why did this come up? "ISP is missing evidence pertaining to my record"..... because my record has been cleaned.

Do I have to hire a lawyer for this? Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanking u in advance

We’re you granted a Parson “WITH” restoration of firearm rights? I know on the petition for clemency that the Governor can approve or deny your firearm restoration rights. Even if you’re granted a pardon I believe that they have to say yes or no. Maybe this is your issue. Might want to look your paperwork over. Hope this helps.

Good Morning:

I'm new to the group and am looking for some help. In May of 2020 I applied for my FOID in order to eventually to get my CCL. In January 21 after waiting 8 months, I received a denial stating "due to the inability to complete your background. The Illinois State Police is missing evidence pertaining to your arrest or conviction that may result in a prohibition from possessing firearms. 430 ILCS 65/4(2)."

I had a background but filed for and was granted a pardon in 2001. In 2014 my record was expunged/sealed. I'm confused. Since my record was expunged/sealed why did this come up? "ISP is missing evidence pertaining to my record"..... because my record has been cleaned.

Do I have to hire a lawyer for this? Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanking u in advance

It's possible the during the expungement process something was missed somewhere, This is one of the reason we suggest folks do a fingerprint background check 6 mos. to a year after the expunging is suppose to be complete.

Check your pardon document, like chemical operator 1 suggested and make sure the pardon included all right restored. If in question, send me a photo or can via private message. If all is good, you will just need to file a Records Challenge and include a copy of your pardon. This does not require an attorney.

If you believe ISP records have inaccurately identified you as prohibited from possessing a FOID Card, file a Records Challenge

Hey guys thanks for all you do and thanks to everyone who makes this site possible. Molly B! Been reading the forum here since 2014 when my foid got revoked. I've always been intimidated by the appeal process but recently feel like I'm ready to give it a shot. I've got tons of questions and was wondering if you guys can help me? Got 3 charges from 2014 for pos of controlled substance. 2 felonys and 1 misdemeanor. All charges dropped and dismissed court ruled "nolle prosequi" for all all charges. Struggled with drugs and have been clean and sober no drinking no drugging no pot nothing.. working a 12 step program clean since 11-19-14. I've read many posts and learned in my case I must appeal to circuit Court in my county for them to restore my firearm rights then I must fill out records challenge paperwork? A lawyer I've been talking to had me get a certified copy of disposition so as to get a general sense of the matter. He said since all charges were dismissed my case will require an informal appeal and a nominal fee of $3500.

Question #1 is this manageable on my own? Should I get a lawyer?

Question #2 how do I appeal to circuit Court in my county if I'm to do this on my own?

Thanks everyone