Photo

teacup grip history?

NRA training

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 Kaeghl

• Members
  • 3,026 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:50 AM

I was asked a while ago what a teacup grip was. I empty-handed a demonstration
of it and asked why they were asking, themselves. It seems that someone found Grandpa's old NRA Basic Handgun Safety Book, but had read on line about how not good a 'teacup grip' was. But turns out, there it was in the book with directions on how to use that grip and it was pictured a couple of times. How come it's used?

Rather than bedazzle them with bullsxxt, I said "Good question, let me find out."

I know things and practices change over time, and better ways of doing things evolve, so okay, we like a better way of gripping the pistol. But what was the history, and why was it preferred then?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Kaeghl, 11 May 2015 - 10:52 AM.

#2 wtr100

• Members
  • 6,407 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 11:23 AM

It wasn't until the 60's that shooting with two hands was common at all

id_pistol_m1911_700_06.jpg

FBI1941.jpg

Edited by wtr100, 11 May 2015 - 11:25 AM.

Have your musket clean as a whistle, hatchet scoured, 60 rounds powder and ball and be ready to march at a minute's warning

ISRA Life Member
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun
NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
ISP Approved Concealed Carry Instructor

#3 Teufel Hunden

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 11:33 AM

My bet is that it came from a modified Weaver stance and borrowed from how you would shoot a rifle offhand. Bracing your off elbow against your side and then creating a "platform" to support the pistol with your offhand.

#4 tkroenlein

OFFICIAL MEMBER

• Members
  • 8,893 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 11:49 AM

I think Mr. Weaver developed it. I saw a very neat old pic somewhere of when he rolled out the "new" technique.

#5 tkroenlein

OFFICIAL MEMBER

• Members
  • 8,893 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 11:54 AM

Here it is. :) fcaa50e7950772db5260409c77fb2672.jpg

#6 StogieRob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 11:59 AM

Somebody who was winning competitions was observed holding his pistol a certain way. Suddenly, if you wanted to win you had to use that grip. If you weren't using that grip, you clearly weren't a "real" competitor...

CZ vz. 70...

#7 Hipshot Percussion

• Members
  • 3,162 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 12:00 PM

Kind of a cool video of military training use of the 1911 and a spot about the cup and saucer hold.  Everything I've searched for seems to come back to a man named Jelly Bryce and due to his prowess as a shooter, the FBI taught his stance and hold (1920's).  I don't know if it's true, can't find any verification

Edited by Hipshot Percussion, 11 May 2015 - 12:00 PM.

“I have fought the good fight to the end; I have run the race to the finish: I have kept the faith."  Timothy Chapter 4 verse 7

"Legitimate self-defense has absolutely nothing to do with the criminal misuse of guns."   Gerald Vernon, veteran firearms instructor

New Gunner Journal

#8 ChicagoRonin70

The Landlord of the Flies!

• Supporting Members Team
  • 4,617 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 12:35 PM

Kind of a cool video of military training use of the 1911 and a spot about the cup and saucer hold.  Everything I've searched for seems to come back to a man named Jelly Bryce and due to his prowess as a shooter, the FBI taught his stance and hold (1920's).  I don't know if it's true, can't find any verification

Every time I see this video, it makes me want tracer rounds in my handgun.

"A well educated Media, being necessary for the preservation of free speech, the right of the people to keep and read books, shall not be infringed."
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary for the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."
Who gets to keep and read books? The Media? Or is it the People?

"One can never underestimate the idiocy of those determined to be offended by things that don't affect their real lives in the slightest." —Me

"Hatred is the sharpest sword; the desire for peace is armor made of willow leaves in the face of an enemy who despises you, as neither alone will stop a strike that is aimed at your neck. —Samurai proverb

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." —Robert Heinlein

"I reserve the right to take any action necessary to maintain the equilibrium in which I've chosen to exist." —Me

"It ain't braggin' if you done it." —Will Rogers

Posted Image     

#9 Tango7

• Members
  • 4,921 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 04:33 PM

I think Mr. Weaver developed it. I saw a very neat old pic somewhere of when he rolled out the "new" technique.

Weaver was a great proponent of the two-handed grip, but his grip involved the "thumb over" technique.

xn935g.png

5p0gm9.jpg

Doing a Google search for "Weaver stance" shows a whole lot of teacups, as well as other grips that aren't the Weaver as I know it.
You will not 'rise to the occasion', you will default to your level of training - plan accordingly.

Despite their rallying around us at election time, honoring only 8 hours of Illinois' 40+ hour law enforcement class towards a 16 hour requirement shows the contempt that our elected officials hold us in.

#10 Kaeghl

• Members
  • 3,026 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 06:44 PM

I looked at the photo in the NRA Basic Pistol Safety Book, and it shows a rather large revolver grip held in a teacup, and the hands were the type to wear an extra large glove.

A few pages later, a photo of a 'new shooter' using the teacup on a table support from the sitting position. The shooter was a moderately petite lady. Could the teacup have been preferred for any apparent ease of being 'steadier' on the sandbags? Just wondering....

#11 kster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 07:17 PM

as i watch that video, all i can think of is HOLY CRAP EVERYONE'S GETTING FLAGGED.     hilariously at 3:20  the narrator goes "safety precautions apply"  then all the cadets unholster and point their guns towards the instructor.  

#12 bemidji

• Supporting Members Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:11 PM

Here it is. :) fcaa50e7950772db5260409c77fb2672.jpg

My ears hurt just looking at that photo . . .

Liberty ueber alles.

#13 wtr100

• Members
  • 6,407 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:12 AM

WHAT DID BEMIDJI JUST SAY!!!!!

The other guy with no shirt , spectators look to be forward of the firing line ( could be camera angle ) , no eye pro

Different time wasn't it

Have your musket clean as a whistle, hatchet scoured, 60 rounds powder and ball and be ready to march at a minute's warning

ISRA Life Member
NRA Life Member

#14 Houndawg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:36 AM

I think Mr. Weaver developed it. I saw a very neat old pic somewhere of when he rolled out the "new" technique.Weaver was a great proponent of the two-handed grip, but his grip involved the "thumb over" technique.Doing a Google search for "Weaver stance" shows a whole lot of teacups, as well as other grips that aren't the Weaver as I know it.

The "thumb over" grip is the proper grip for a revolver.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

#15 wtr100

• Members
  • 6,407 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:44 AM

I think Mr. Weaver developed it. I saw a very neat old pic somewhere of when he rolled out the "new" technique.Weaver was a great proponent of the two-handed grip, but his grip involved the "thumb over" technique.Doing a Google search for "Weaver stance" shows a whole lot of teacups, as well as other grips that aren't the Weaver as I know it.

since when?

ISRA Life Member
NRA Life Member

#16 Houndawg

• Members
  • 746 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:46 AM

as i watch that video, all i can think of is HOLY CRAP EVERYONE'S GETTING FLAGGED.     hilariously at 3:20  the narrator goes "safety precautions apply"  then all the cadets unholster and point their guns towards the instructor.  

Safety standards are quite different in military training and combat. I've regularly been on the pointy end of of a rifle or pistol during weapons instruction. And when everybody has a rifle in their hands it's impossible not to sweep or get swept at any given time during the day. On the range where live ammo is involved it's a different story. Then all rules apply.

#17 wtr100

• Members
  • 6,407 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:48 AM

pass the popcorn please

Edited by wtr100, 12 May 2015 - 07:49 AM.

ISRA Life Member
NRA Life Member

#18 Houndawg

• Members
  • 746 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:50 AM

I think Mr. Weaver developed it. I saw a very neat old pic somewhere of when he rolled out the "new" technique.Weaver was a great proponent of the two-handed grip, but his grip involved the "thumb over" technique.Doing a Google search for "Weaver stance" shows a whole lot of teacups, as well as other grips that aren't the Weaver as I know it.The "thumb over" grip is the proper grip for a revolver.Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalksince when?

Since forever. I'm talking about the first picture where the weak hand thumb sits on top of the strong hand thumb. It's opposite for pistols.

#19 Houndawg

• Members
  • 746 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:52 AM

pass the popcorn please

Do you have a problem?

#20 Hoffsoft

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:37 AM

Problems?  Jack Weaver can't hear people debating a defunct technique, and I can't find a truckload of tracers to shoot through somebody else's 1911.  :)

#21 Glock23

I am no one.

• Members
  • 4,482 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:23 AM

Whatever grip works and is effective for the shooter is the proper grip. There is no single "proper" grip for any gun.
** Illinois Carry - Supporting Member
** National Association for Gun Rights - Frontline Defender
** Gun Owners of America - Annual Member
** Illinois State Rifle Association - 3 year American Hero Member
** Second Amendment Foundation - Life Member
** National Rifle Association - Patron Life Member

#22 tkroenlein

OFFICIAL MEMBER

• Members
  • 8,893 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:30 AM

Whatever grip works and is effective for the shooter is the proper grip. There is no single "proper" grip for any gun.

With shades of grey. Situating your bones and soft tissue to react consistently to a recoiling gun tends to be pretty similar between shooters given a particular model gun.

#23 barryware

• Members
  • 2,241 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 11:27 AM

Teacup.jpg

“I sometimes wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.” – Mark Twain

#24 wtr100

• Members
  • 6,407 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 11:42 AM

a 1911 in a tea cup?

BURN THE HERETIC!!!!!

ISRA Life Member
NRA Life Member

#25 gangrel

• Members
  • 3,158 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 03:25 PM

since when?

Support hand thumb over your shooting hand thumb and pulling gently downward keeps your shooting hand thumb free of the cylinder on a revolver.  Thumbs forward grip keeps your support hand thumb clear of the slide on a semi-auto.

NRA Life Member

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

NRA Certified Instructor - Basic Pistol, PPIH, PPOH, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety
ISP Approved Firearm Concealed Carry Instructor

Utah CCW Instructor

#26 Federal Farmer

David Lawson

• Members
  • 9,346 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 01:05 PM

Unless your hands are really small and the revolver is really big, I don't recommend using the semi-auto thumb grip.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men [and women] stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

--George Orwell

-- Certified something-or-other by various organizations and governmental entities.

#27 Jen-in-Normal

• Members
  • 595 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 02:56 PM

I had to laugh when he said 'lightweight'. :) A different time for sure. A 1911 is hardly light today. I gotta say though, some traces would be fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jennifer Young

#28 milq

• Members
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 03:55 PM

It's way lighter than swinging an M1 around in close quarters! Cool video....lots of safety violations, but that was a different time.
Good night Chesty, wherever you are.

Visit my Illinois RTC/Pro 2A blog: Steel on Target

#29 Jen-in-Normal

• Members
  • 595 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 07:29 PM

It's way lighter than swinging an M1 around in close quarters! Cool video....lots of safety violations, but that was a different time.

Hehehe. You got me there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jennifer Young