Prohibited Carry Zones - 23 Categories

Molly B.

Well, it's been five years and a couple of months now, and we seemingly have made very little to no headway on getting any of the GFZ's in the original law written out.

I've been through three background checks, I have a photo ID permit ISSUED BY THE STATE OF ILLINOIS to protect myself and those around me WITH DEADLY FORCE in case of threat of bodily harm, BUT YET I CANT ATTEND A FUNCTION CARRYING IN A SCHOOL TO PROTECT MY GRANDCHILDREN.

Rant over,,,,,,,

Edited by Hamish

Well, it's been five years and a couple of months now, and we seemingly have made very little to no headway on getting any of the GFZ's in the original law written out.

I've been through three background checks, I have a photo ID permit ISSUED BY THE STATE OF ILLINOIS to protect myself and those around me WITH DEADLY FORCE in case of threat of bodily harm, BUT YET I CANT ATTEND A FUNCTION CARRYING IN A SCHOOL TO PROTECT MY GRANDCHILDREN.

Rant over,,,,,,,

Schools are unlikely to ever be removed from the prohibited list.

Schools are unlikely to ever be removed from the prohibited list.

Here's a table comparing all states: Weapons in Schools

Take it with a grain of salt, though. It says a FOID is a CCL in IL. (Basically it says IL CCLs are allowed to FOID-carry in schools.)

The federal Gun-Free Kill School Zone Act does not prohibit otherwise-legal concealed carry in schools. It's state laws that prohibit that.

FWIW, it looks like the only state to permit all concealed carriers in schools is Alabama. All other states that allow concealed carry in schools also require the individual to obtain explicit permission from the school board or school administrators.

Edited by Euler

• 3 weeks later...

Wait so an illinois school administrator can allow it

No.

FWIW, it looks like the only state to permit all concealed carriers in schools is Alabama. All other states that allow concealed carry in schools also require the individual to obtain explicit permission from the school board or school administrators.

Illinois is not one of those states.

• 3 years later...

Coyotes are often seen on the extensive grounds of a local community college. I have been told that some of those who walk their dogs on these grounds carry concealed as a protection against possible coyote attack. This is one area that I would hope someday can be removed from the "do not carry" list here in IL, along with public transportation. 

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/16/2023 at 9:02 PM, Smallbore said:

JCAR includes a motorcycle as a vehicle with a lockable container. So why not a bicycle with a lock box?

Yep, throw on a lock box on the rear luggage rack and leave that sucker out side the 7-11 while you get that Slurpee.  Go head test that as someone makes off with the bike AND the $700.00 firearm!  It may be legal but it would be pretty stupid.

IMHO

Edited by Bubbacs

On July 17, 2023 at 01:13 AM, Bubbacs said:
Yep, throw on a lock box on the rear luggage rack and leave that sucker out side the 7-11 while you get that Slurpee. Go head test that as someone makes off with the bike AND the $700.00 firearm! ...

Mistake: Riding a bicycle to a 7-11.

Bigger mistake: Going inside the 7-11.

Biggest mistake: Going inside the 7-11 without a firearm when you already brought one with you.

Slurpee at your own risk.

On 7/17/2023 at 2:08 PM, Euler said:

Mistake: Riding a bicycle to a 7-11.

Bigger mistake: Going inside the 7-11.

Biggest mistake: Going inside the 7-11 without a firearm when you already brought one with you.

Slurpee at your own risk.

+1000 correct.  I'm not going in 7-11 for sure.  Not even for Free Slurpee Day!  LOL

• 4 months later...
On November 29, 2023 at 08:31 PM CST, CFREUND01 said:
As far as prohibited areas where we can’t carry and have to leave firearm in vehicle. If wearing let’s say a shoulder rig with 2 mags counterbalancing holster, would I need to also remove the 2 loaded mags and leave in car? ...

The question really is about where unloaded ammo is prohibited. If it's not 50 BMG, then it's not prohibited anywhere by state law. There are some places you wouldn't be allowed to take it, even though it's not technically illegal. For example, if you tried to take ammo into a state court house, it's unlikely you'd be successful.

Structurally, the intent of the Concealed Carry Act is to provide an exception to the UUW statute. However, the UUW statute doesn't prohibit ammunition alone based solely on location.

On 11/29/2023 at 9:29 PM, Euler said:

The question really is about where unloaded ammo is prohibited. If it's not 50 BMG, then it's not prohibited anywhere by state law. There are some places you wouldn't be allowed to take it, even though it's not technically illegal. For example, if you tried to take ammo into a state court house, it's unlikely you'd be successful.

Structurally, the intent of the Concealed Carry Act is to provide an exception to the UUW statute. However, the UUW statute doesn't prohibit ammunition alone based solely on location.

Cheers.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/12/2024 at 12:01 PM, dukemason said:

The way I read the restrictions, the parking lot of a local police department should be OK for concealed carry. Is that correct? For face-to-face Ebay and Internet sales, police department parking lots should be a little safer than random parking lots.

I think carrying concealed under authority of the FCCA and a private sale are two different issues.

I just figured it was common knowledge ,but here is short but to the point rundown...

https://www.whitehouse.gov/about-the-white-house/our-government/state-local-government/

Second from the last paragraph.

You can also carry in county courthouse parking lots under the same subsection.Learned that on jury duty.

• 1 month later...
On 2/17/2024 at 8:05 AM, joker said:

What's the story with cook county forest preserves now

It looks like the code was rewritten to say on the trails OK, but anywhere else not OK ?

There was a lawsuit over this 1 or 2 years ago?

I frequent the trails biking and running, would like to carry but don't want to loose my gun rights 

Better question.  Since “Concealed” Carry became lawful in Illinois how many card carrying holders have actually been charged with - prosecuted - and lost their “gun rights” for carrying “Concealed” in a prohibited place?   I don’t recall seeing any news stories of such actually happening.

On 2/17/2024 at 8:05 AM, joker said:

What's the story with cook county forest preserves now

It looks like the code was rewritten to say on the trails OK, but anywhere else not OK ?

There was a lawsuit over this 1 or 2 years ago?

I frequent the trails biking and running, would like to carry but don't want to loose my gun rights 

In Solomon v Cook County the ban on carry on Cook County Forest Preserves was found unconstitutionally broad.  A few bills have been introduced attempting to skirt this.  None have become law.