Leon Panetta as CIA Chief?

Buzzard

Barrack Obama has picked Leon Panetta as the new head of the CIA, despite the fact that Panetta has never worked in the intelligence field and has no experience whatsoever. Responding to a question from a reporter about his choice of Leon Panetta to head the CIA, Obama said:

"He (Leon Panetta) brings extraordinary management skills, great political savvy, an impeccable record of integrity to the table....As a chief of staff ... to the president, he is somebody who obviously was fully versed in international affairs, crisis management, and had to evaluate intelligence consistently on a day to day basis."

This brings to my mind the words of General H. Norman Schwarzkopf as he assessed Saddam Hussein as a military leader, followng his defeat in 1991.

"As far as Saddam Hussein being a great military strategist, he is neither a

strategist, nor is he schooled in the operational art, nor is he a

tactician, nor is he a general, nor is he a soldier. Other than that he's a

great military man-I want you to know that."

-General H. Norman Schwarzkopf 1991

Link

Does Obama wish to cripple the CIA with Panetta?

By Jim Kouri

(AXcess News) New York - On Tuesday, former Clinton Administration adviser Dick Morris told Fox News Channel that President-Elect Barack Obama's motive for the nomination of Leon Panetta to the important post of Director of Central Intelligence is to tear that agency apart.

While I concur with Morris' assessment (I rarely agree with the bloviating Morris), it is my hope Panetta will be either turned away during his confirmation hearings or his name will be withdrawn altogether.

Efforts to combat terrorism have become an increasingly important part of government activities. These efforts have also become important in the United States' relations with other countries and with international organizations.

The United States' intelligence community is undergoing the most extensive - perhaps even radical - transformations since the Office of Strategic Services gave way to the Central Intelligence Agency.

Recognizing that people are the critical element in transformation initiatives is key to a successful transformation of the intelligence community and related homeland security organizations.

The CIA is responsible for coordinating US counterintelligence activities abroad. Each of the military departments also has a counterintelligence element that operates domestically and overseas.

The mission of intelligence agencies is to collect, analyze, and disseminate intelligence to their consumers. Human sources and technical collection systems can be developed only over long periods of time and often at great cost. They are easily compromised and, when compromised, often cannot be replaced. Accordingly, intelligence agencies are by nature reluctant to permit consumers, including law enforcement agencies, to use intelligence in any way that might result in the loss of a source or collection method.

These elements have offensive and defensive missions. Offensively, they attempt to recruit agents within foreign intelligence services to ascertain what, if any, operations are being undertaken against the United States; they monitor the activities of known or suspected agents of foreign intelligence services; and they undertake operations to ascertain the targets and modus operandi of foreign intelligence services.

Defensively, they investigate cases of suspected espionage and prepare analysis for government and industry concerning the foreign intelligence threat. While the FBI has principal jurisdiction to investigate suspected espionage within the United States, all intelligence agencies maintain internal capabilities to undertake preliminary inquiries of their own employees. Military counterintelligence elements have concurrent jurisdiction to carry out counterintelligence investigations of their respective military personnel.

Counterintelligence, as a function of intelligence agencies, however, goes well beyond detecting and monitoring the activities of foreign intelligence services and investigating employees suspected of espionage. Counterintelligence is an integral part of the entire intelligence process.

Historically, intelligence agencies have not performed this crucial function very well. Virtually all have suffered severe losses due to a failure to recognize anomalous behavior on the part of their own employees. Some have also had problems recognizing anomalies in the behavior of their sources or in the appearance or actions of their targets. And into this mix, President Obama wishes to insert the likes of Leon Panetta, a left-wing Democrat Party operative.

Successful major change management initiatives in large public and private sector organizations can often take at least 5 to 7 years to create what is needed to ensure success. As a result, committed and sustained leadership is indispensable to making lasting changes in the intelligence community.

Accordingly, the US Congress may want to consider lengthening the terms served by the directors of the intelligence agencies, similar to the FBI Director's 10-year term as was recommended by a panel from the General Accounting Office last year.

One of the major challenges facing the intelligence community is moving from a culture of "need to know" to a "need to share" organizations, while maintaining secrecy. The experience of leading organizations suggests that performance management systems - that define, align, and integrate institutional, unit, and individual performance with organizational goals - can provide incentives and accountability for sharing information to help achieve this shift.

Some critics of the CIA claim that over the years it has become more of a "think tank" than an intelligence gathering and counterterrorism organization. One official alleges that politics within "The Company" resembles the politics exhibited at American universities, with bureaucrats "living in ivory towers far removed from the real world of espionage and terrorism."

Significant changes have been underway in the last 3 years regarding how the federal workforce is managed. The Congress passed legislation providing certain government-wide human resources flexibilities, such as direct hiring authority by agency executives. While many federal agencies have received such flexibility, others may be both needed and appropriate for intelligence agencies, such as providing these agencies with the authority to hire a limited number of term-appointed positions on a noncompetitive basis.

Everyone i heard talk about Pannetta says he is going to dismantle the Bush CIA, this is very scary as we run a great risk of attack. I also find it amusing that The Messiah refuses to talk about Isreal fighting (because we only have one president at a time) yet talks about the economy twice a day. Then it's leaked that the Obama administration is going to have a "sit down" with Hamas. :thumbsup: This idiot really thinks that these Terrorists are going to like us if we just "Talk" to them. :thumbsup:

Yeppers...sounds just like his side of the fence (politically speaking). These people need to be treated nicely...we need to rehabilitate them...they are simply misunderstood!

I call http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/mack69/bsmeter.gif

You do not talk to terrorists. While he is busy talking to them you know what they will continue to do...KILL innocents!

Next I suppose he will call a sit down with bin laden and al queda??

If this all comes to fruition we will become another France...

Yeppers...sounds just like his side of the fence (politically speaking). These people need to be treated nicely...we need to rehabilitate them...they are simply misunderstood!

I call http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/mack69/bsmeter.gif

You do not talk to terrorists. While he is busy talking to them you know what they will continue to do...KILL innocents!

Next I suppose he will call a sit down with bin laden and al queda??

If this all comes to fruition we will become another France...

You have to take their surrender somehow, after all.

Archived