FYI - SBR transfer time

Benbow

No form 1, or any other NFA form, other than EF Form 3 (dealer to dealer) takes 15 to 18 days, and anyone that tells you otherwise has no NFA firearms. Not even a form 2, which does not require approval, is that fast.

That being said, most of the SBRs I make and sell are AR15 type.

For myself, I;ve done a lot, both before and since becoming a C2SOT

No form 1, or any other NFA form, other than EF Form 3 (dealer to dealer) takes 15 to 18 days, and anyone that tells you otherwise has no NFA firearms. Not even a form 2, which does not require approval, is that fast.

I've done several EForm Form 1s that all came back approved within 15 to 18 days (business days, not calendar). Last one was earlier this year.

I dont know if these ePrints for History Summary are also an available option for Form 1s or not...

..."Step 2: Follow the steps under the Obtaining Your Identity History Summary section. If you submit a request electronically directly to the FBI, you may visit a participating U.S. Post Office location to submit your fingerprints electronically as part of your request. You may go to any of the 101 participating U.S. Post Office locations nationwide upon completion of your request. Additional fees may apply."..

I submitted an eForm 1 as an individual for an SBR on 10/13/20 and got my stamp on 11/5/20. So 23 days. I mailed my fingerprints to the ATF on 10/14/20 via USPS 2 day Priority Mail. It took the USPS 7 days to deliver my prints. Had I sent my prints via Express next day mail on 10/13, I could have easily had my stamp in 15-18 days. Just saying.

Where are you located?

Are you in IL? I thought sbrs or any nfa item required a bunch of hoops.

Yup, I am in Illinois. What Interestedbystander pointed out is correct. Get your C & R FLL, which is $30 for a 3 year license, link that to your eForm account and youâre all set to file your eForm 1. Aside from the min OAL of 26â the only other IL specific item is that you have to attach an image of your FOID or CCW to your eForm 1.

I am in Wood River, Madison County, Illinois.

I'm in the processing of finalizing an explanation of IL law and what can get approved in IL, to post on my website, but bottom line, if you do what I tell you do do, I can most AOWs, many DDs, most SBRs, some SBS approved to just about anyone, and actually have.

I can get suppressors approved to some people, if they are willing to do what is necessary to be legal, which, frankly is not a lot.

The problem is, everyone has been told for so long that all NFA is illegal in IL, that they actually believe it.

If there is something specific you want, PM me, and I can (1) tell you if its possbile and if so how, (2) if I can provide it, and if not who can, if I know, and (3) likely cost, either from me, or someone else.

Please show me anything where its legal to get a suppressor in Illinois? Without getting a type 07 ffl?

Even then you need a letter from a local PD signing off on a demo, you are going to land someone in the sh**house with this advice.

I often see you write misleading information on here and some clown will listen to you and land themselves in big trouble!

I am in Wood River, Madison County, Illinois.

I'm in the processing of finalizing an explanation of IL law and what can get approved in IL, to post on my website, but bottom line, if you do what I tell you do do, I can most AOWs, many DDs, most SBRs, some SBS approved to just about anyone, and actually have.

I can get suppressors approved to some people, if they are willing to do what is necessary to be legal, which, frankly is not a lot.

The problem is, everyone has been told for so long that all NFA is illegal in IL, that they actually believe it.

If there is something specific you want, PM me, and I can (1) tell you if its possbile and if so how, (2) if I can provide it, and if not who can, if I know, and (3) likely cost, either from me, or someone else.

I truly recommend anyone listening to this advice seek out your own legal advice as this will land you in hot water!! This should come with a disclaimer.

I often see you write misleading information on here and some clown will listen to you and land themselves in big trouble!

I'm not a clown. I'm a......anyway

I'm not that gullible am I?

Lol, well...... that profile looks a friendly dude.

Comment isn’t aimed at anyone in particular, we have so many new people in this world that this sort of information provided by Benbow is dangerous.

Also curious about legislative citation(s). Other than government organizations or a licensed manufacturer, ILGA in unlawful weapons code has tons of references on item prohibition to silence a firearm.

When the legislature created the exception to the suppressor ban for law enforcement, they did so stipulating that only members of a tactical team could use them in the course of duty but even they are not allowed to personally own or maintain them in Illinois. This has not changed since passage.

See HB1708 of the 97th GA

Also curious about legislative citation(s). Other than government organizations or a licensed manufacturer, ILGA in unlawful weapons code has tons of references on item prohibition to silence a firearm.

When the legislature created the exception to the suppressor ban for law enforcement, they did so stipulating that only members of a tactical team could use them in the course of duty but even they are not allowed to personally own or maintain them in Illinois. This has not changed since passage.

See HB1708 of the 97th GA

So you are clarifying that we again are reading reckless info. At some point these posts are going to get someone on the wrong side of the law!

here is the simple truth on suppressors. Like ALL NFA items, its illegal for ATF to actually approve a Form 1/4 if its illegal for the registrant to actually possess the firearm. So, ipso facto, if ATF will actually approve the form, thats pretty good evidence that its legal to possess the item, even under state or local law.

That being said, it is legal, in Illinois, under Illinois law, to possess a suppressor, by a Type 06 FFL, for purposes of testing.

A Type 06 FFL is a license to "manufacture" ammunition. That is the reason that Olin/Winchester can have suppressors, and they do, I've seen them.

If you want to get into the realm of technicality, if you reload ammo ONLY for yourself, no license is required. If you reload, at all, for someone else, like Uncle Bob, your buddy at the club, or the like, you technically need a Type 06 FFL, as (you may) owe federal excise tax (easily legally avoided) and you are actually technically manufacturing. This is also true if you cast lead bullets for your next door neighbor, or load blanks for the local VFW. Thus, in order to reload ammo for Uncle Bob (not yourself), and be legal, you need to spend $30, for a 3 year Type 06 FFL. This just so happens to be the same cost as a Type 03 C&R FFL, needed for SBRs.

Now, once your legal with your reloading operation, assuming you reload for other people, under IL law, you can have a supressor, you just need to just through the standard NFA hoops. If your Type 06 FFL expires, you need to either get rid of the suppressor, or move it out of state, until you get another 06FFL.

Is this worth your time and effort? That depends on you. Rilo and Mauserme, while well intentioned, are stopping their legal research at the halfway mark, and with respect to them, they are only 1/3 right, which means they are 2/3 wrong. Per public ATF records, there are about 1,000 registered silencers in Illinois. I would wager that over 800 of them are owned by non-governmental entities.

Now, what is all of this back and forth worth to you? Exactly what you paid for it. If you have concerns, speak with a knowledgeable lawyer or appropriate dealer, in person, not on a web board. Generalizations on a web broad are just that, generalizations. While an approved Form 4 is a pretty good indicator that its legal, its also not a legal defense in IL, unlike, say, Missouri. While this exception may generally apply in IL, you may have a local prohibition, or not be able to get a Type 06 due to zoning.

here is the simple truth on suppressors. Like ALL NFA items, its illegal for ATF to actually approve a Form 1/4 if its illegal for the registrant to actually possess the firearm. So, ipso facto, if ATF will actually approve the form, thats pretty good evidence that its legal to possess the item, even under state or local law.

That being said, it is legal, in Illinois, under Illinois law, to possess a suppressor, by a Type 06 FFL, for purposes of testing.

A Type 06 FFL is a license to "manufacture" ammunition. That is the reason that Olin/Winchester can have suppressors, and they do, I've seen them.

If you want to get into the realm of technicality, if you reload ammo ONLY for yourself, no license is required. If you reload, at all, for someone else, like Uncle Bob, your buddy at the club, or the like, you technically need a Type 06 FFL, as (you may) owe federal excise tax (easily legally avoided) and you are actually technically manufacturing. This is also true if you cast lead bullets for your next door neighbor, or load blanks for the local VFW. Thus, in order to reload ammo for Uncle Bob (not yourself), and be legal, you need to spend $30, for a 3 year Type 06 FFL. This just so happens to be the same cost as a Type 03 C&R FFL, needed for SBRs.

Now, once your legal with your reloading operation, assuming you reload for other people, under IL law, you can have a supressor, you just need to just through the standard NFA hoops. If your Type 06 FFL expires, you need to either get rid of the suppressor, or move it out of state, until you get another 06FFL.

Is this worth your time and effort? That depends on you. Rilo and Mauserme, while well intentioned, are stopping their legal research at the halfway mark, and with respect to them, they are only 1/3 right, which means they are 2/3 wrong. Per public ATF records, there are about 1,000 registered silencers in Illinois. I would wager that over 800 of them are owned by non-governmental entities.

Now, what is all of this back and forth worth to you? Exactly what you paid for it. If you have concerns, speak with a knowledgeable lawyer or appropriate dealer, in person, not on a web board. Generalizations on a web broad are just that, generalizations. While an approved Form 4 is a pretty good indicator that its legal, its also not a legal defense in IL, unlike, say, Missouri. While this exception may generally apply in IL, you may have a local prohibition, or not be able to get a Type 06 due to zoning.

Is your advice, then, that a obtaining a Type 06 FFL will allow an Illinois resident to possess a suppressor legally under Illinois law?

You are wildly interpreting the law, i know you are attorney and that scares me more than this insane advice.

If you try your way of defrauding the law that silencer can only be used to test ammo that YOU have manufactured for test purposes. You cannot go to your local range and start pewing your paper target, you cannot have it on your night stand, it is deemed ONLY for determining ballistic capabilities which you would only be doing with test equipment.

Myself and MauserMe may well be 2/3 wrong but you are 100% wrong and stretching the law to another universe, handing out advise like this you should be neither and FFL or an attorney!

-mauserme if it needs edited go right ahead.

Rilo, how do you really feel? ;-)

FFL application form...

..."Manufacturing - Generally, persons holding a manufacturers license (FFL Type 06, 07 or 10) must register as a manufacturer with the Department of State unless exempted by the Directorate of Defense Trade Control (DDTC), regardless of whether the manufacturer actually exports any of the items manufactured. Therefore, applicants intending to manufacture and/or export defense articles, as defined on the United States Munitions List (Part 121 of the ITAR), may need to register with Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC). Questions should be directed to the DDTC at 202-663-2980 or www.pmddtc.state.gov."...

Also just because ATF issues license, have we not seen local/state law trumping federal before. Be it weed, SBR applications in counties that have AWB, etc

Exception list to prohibition seems pretty clear as written. Maybe Ill go look again. Yes, I wish it was that easy. Too bad the suppressor movement we had a few years ago with Todd has fallen by the wayside.

Catch 22

There are ways to work around most things. In Illinois it is illegal to own a machine gun, right? That's the belief not the fact.

I personally know a FFL Type 07 with Class 03 SOT. This allows them to buy, sell and manufacture suppressors and machine guns. They are not military or law enforcement. While I have never seen them involved with suppressors they are big into full autos. Right here in the middle of Illinois I have had the opportunity to "play" with an M60. LEGALLY in a civilian environment.

BUT that doesn't mean they can mount that M60 in the back of a pickup and go coyote hunting. I believe the catch is the suppressor or machine gun must stay at the manufacturing facility.

Maybe everyone is sorta right,

Catch 22

There are ways to work around most things. In Illinois it is illegal to own a machine gun, right? That's the belief not the fact.

I personally know a FFL Type 07 with Class 03 SOT. This allows them to buy, sell and manufacture suppressors and machine guns. They are not military or law enforcement. While I have never seen them involved with suppressors they are big into full autos. Right here in the middle of Illinois I have had the opportunity to "play" with an M60. LEGALLY in a civilian environment.

BUT that doesn't mean they can mount that M60 in the back of a pickup and go coyote hunting. I believe the catch is the suppressor or machine gun must stay at the manufacturing facility.

Maybe everyone is sorta right,

Key to this is, it is for business use only!

in the words of benbow

"Rilo and Mauserme, while well intentioned, are stopping their legal research at the halfway mark, and with respect to them, they are only 1/3 right, which means they are 2/3 wrong."

This isn't for legal research this is skating around the law and doing so may also be a case for fraud.

I was at the pit before its closing and had a dude next to me going through mags with a PS90, fun button included. When I asked him how he got it, after I was told I was an idiot for even talking to him, he continued to inform me he was an SOT/07 dealer and the gun was a customers that he was testing. Since the guy was a ***** from the start I didn't want to continue asking him anything further. I'd love to have been a customer of his..

Archived