12 states file Constitutional/Permitless carry bills in 2021

Texasgrillchef

12 States this year have filed constitutional carry/permitless Carry bills this year.

2 of those states have already passed their bills. Utah and Montana. Utah will take effect May 5th, 2021. Montana was effective immediately.

The other 10 states that have filed are...

Texas,

Louisiana,

Alabama,

Georgia,

Florida,

South Carolina,

Tennessee,

Indiana,

Iowa,

Minnesota.

Indianas bill looks like the next state to pass constitutional carry. As the bill has just passed the House, and is now on to the The Indiana Senate.

This now gives us 18 total constitutional carry states. If the other 10 pass it. Then we will have a total of 28 constitutional carry states. A Majority!

I don't see California, NY, NJ, and other blue states ever passing constitutional carry.

IGOLD signage will be 28 states can't be wrong in 2030. Assuming Illinois doesn't declare IGOLD to be a "domestic terrorist activity" by then.

I remember saying the same thing here..

We may have gotten to where we are by a judges decision and likely bound to happen again. At some point the SCOTUS will have to take more of these cases and stop kicking back to lower courts. Shall not be Infringed is clear to most here. I'd love to hear Attorney Segal's legal opinion on that in front of the 9 judges. Call it wishful thinking if you'd prefer but the fact is we've already been through the BS. We won the battle.

Ok.... obviously I a, missing something here.... why are you all saying 2030 a date that is still 9 years away. Why?

I see the possibility of maybe 5 more states, after these 28 states eventually filling constitutional bills eventually. Depending on certain factors though.

I dont see constitutional carry becoming law in more then 33 maybe 34 states max. 30 states might even end up being the max number to ever pass constitutional carry.

Certain states wont ever get it, such as California, Maryland, Mass, Delaware, New Jersey, and New York.

Here in the land of corruption we were the last hold out state to have any form of CC. IGOLD signage was plenty including "49 other states can't be wrong." The carry law was forced on the state due to court decision. Constitutional carry could eventually come to SCOTUS thus forcing Illinois again to follow law, assuming the majority of decision makers believed like we do.

Here in the land of corruption we were the last hold out state to have any form of CC. IGOLD signage was plenty including "49 other states can't be wrong." The carry law was forced on the state due to court decision. Constitutional carry could eventually come to SCOTUS thus forcing Illinois again to follow law, assuming the majority of decision makers believed like we do.

I would love to see constitutional carry nationwide, what gun owner wouldn’t. However I don’t personally believe that SCOTUS will ever rule in favor of Constitutional carry. At least for conceal carry. It is possible Young v Hawaii could get SCOTUS to rule that open carry with a license /permit is unconstitutional, thus making permit-less open carry required. Conceal carry doubtful. But this is JMHO.

I do see though where SCOTUS may require nationwide reciprocity though at some point.

We will see if SCOTUS agrees to hear the Young v Hawaii case, and if they do how they rule. Right now we are waiting for the en Banc ruling. Doesn’t matter which side looses. Both sides will appeal to SCOTUS

• 1 month later...

Well,

This year we had 5 states enact and pass some form of constitutional carry.

Montana and Wyoming which both had limited constitutional carry laws, now are full constitutional carry sates. Wyoming though won’t go into effect for non-residents until July 1.

Utah becomes effective on May 5th, Iowa and Tennessee become effective on July 1.

Indiana has its bill passed the house, but stuck in Senate Judiciary Committee.

South Carolina’s bill has just passed the house, and is in the Senate judiciary committee.

Rhode Island, will hear its constitutional carry bill in its house Committee Monday April 11th.

Minnesota, Louisiana, Florida, Alabama, the bills are filed, but no movement.

Georgia’s bill is dead.

Texas two constitutional carry bills have passed out of House Homeland Security Committee and are heading to the house floor. It should pass out of the house. The Texas Senate has two constitutional carry bills filed and are sitting in Senate State Affairs Committee. But are not dead, because they haven’t had time to hear the bill yet. We Texans are only worried about the Senate. We know our Governor will sign the bill when it reaches his desk.

Seems odd that FL and SC are looking to Constitutional carry, but still will not honor other states CCL. You would think that would be a no brainer first step long ago.

South Carolina will recognize resident LTC/CHL’s from certain other states. They will recognize resident LTC’s from Texas.

they do have a bill pending that should pass this year to recognize all Resident only LTC’s

Maybe when the CC numbers reach where the CCW did in the early 2010's and Illinois was dragged kicking and screaming blood will run in the streets to the Circuit court and have it rammed down their legislative throats we will have it. Remember we all thought the day of CCW would ever come to our state and now it is here? Once can only hope and pray the same happens here or a true miracle occurs and all voters come to their senses..............well one can dream!

Ammoland

A group of Texas license to carry (LTC) instructors lead by Raul Camacho have teamed up with anti-gun groups to try to sink Constitutional Carry in the Lone Star State.

The group led by LTC instructor Raul Camacho of Safety Measures, LLC held a press conference in front of the Texas Capitol where they called on the Legislature to vote down House Bill 1911, which would allow for permitless carry in the state. Camacho is also a board member of Gun Sense Texas.

Gun Sense Texas is an anti-gun group that is similar to Moms Demand Action. The group supports gun control efforts and proposes measures such as universal background checks, extreme protection orders (red flag laws), and "safe storage" laws. The organization strongly opposes removing any hurdle to gun ownership.

The House Homeland Security and Public Safety Committee approved HB 1927, marking the furthest any Constitutional Carry bill has made it in the Texas Legislature. The bill is up for a vote in the House [April 15], where it is expected to pass because Republicans hold an 83-67 majority.

In the letter, the instructors claim to be strong supporters of the Second Amendment but are opposed to any bill that would allow Texans to exercise their natural and Constitutionally guaranteed right to bear arms without the state government's permission. The group wants to be able to "vet" the people who want to carry firearms. They compared having a license to carry permit with a privately owned shooting range having rules for using their range.

(Some) Texas concealed carry instructors want to be able to decide who has 2A rights. That sounds legit.

An interesting analogy: the world is a shooting range run by the government. How does that work? I'm pretty sure not everyone signed a waiver.

So the Texas instructors will be making the decisions on who can carry and have 2a rights in Texas?

So the Texas instructors are so far ahead of everyone else that THEY are the level of excellence?

Well I hope this permeates to Illinois so us instructors can become firearm gods!

You, you , yes you, not you, yes you, no way not you, (holds hand out behind back, palm facing up) yes you!

I'd say it's at least a step closer to constitutional carry. Politicians like to call these bills "constitutional carry" when in fact they're close, but not quite. Bills that only apply to handguns for example are not true constitutional carry. States that continue to allow "gun free zones" exist, are not constitutional carry. States that have vague language identifying loaded and unloaded restrictions are not constitutional carry.

I applaud each state for passing what they did, but personally I wouldn't call (some of) them constitutional carry. Close, but not quite.

As an earlier poster said, states like IL, MA, NY, NJ ... they'll never get close to anything remotely resembling constitutional carry.

Archived