Illinois' 1st Black-Owned Gun Range

mauserme

https://abc7chicago.com/stanmoor-sports-illinois-gun-range-black-owned-bridgeview/10331760/

Illinois' 1st Black-owned gun range offers inclusive community for shooting enthusiasts

By Evelyn Holmes
Thursday, February 11, 2021 8:08PM

BRIDGEVIEW, Ill. (WLS) -- Stanmorr Sports is truly one-of-a-kind in Illinois.

Not only is the southwest suburban establishment the first - and right now, only - African American-owned gun range in the state, it's believed to be just one of three in the entire country.

"When my brothers and sisters come through, they are comfortable and that's important to me," owner Joe Stanford said. "They don't feel like we're doing them a favor by letting them in. We want to show the love."

Already the owner of a successful security company with his stepfather, Stanford bought the Bridgeview gun range when it was in dire financial straits and about to close last year. He's hoping to change the perceptions of black gun ownership.

In the last few months since then, the range equipped with nine shooting lanes has welcomed a surge of women of color into its inclusive community.
As the gun range celebrates its one year anniversary, Stanford is still giving back. He plans on helping 500 people of color legally obtain their FOID card - not to mention offering free concealed carry classes just to make sure that people trained properly as to how to use a gun.

That's great news, actually, and about time. I have a bone to pick with the language they use, however. An "inclusive community" is not just "brothers and sisters" and "women of color." Every public word I've heard come out of the management of that place makes me, personally, feel unwelcome. How is that "inclusive?"

You would be welcome. The owner and his employees are friendly and helpful.

For years I have visited LGS’s around me and have asked this question, why can’t you set up a laptop or pc to assist those who are looking to get a FOID? And the problem I’ve found is that if you don’t have a FOID card before entering you can’t get in to file for one in the first place.

I sincerely applaud a LGS which welcomes what could viably become new customers. Maybe they do and maybe they won’t. Either way it’s a win win for the community.

This is what I have taken from this announcement. Nothing political, nothing about color, nothing about who would or might be welcome.

But the outreach to assist those looking to better protect themselves and by doing so would strengthening the community at large.

Just one mans opinion.......

Right. Did ABC send the right signal, overall?

Did they have a real choice in selecting the political angle?

I think that "Enemies of Mankind Perpetuate Human Slaughter Factory" would have boomeranged hard.

Black empowerment in the face of implied white supremacy sells better to their intended audience, even if that's not how the new owners see themselves or how they actually run the business.

Has anyone here been to the shop? There are areas I will not visit out of an abundance of caution. It is good to see this shop flourishing. From all the media reports over the years it appears that leaders in the AA community would not supported such an enterprise. Surprised

the reverends JJ and AS havent staged a photo shoot protest out front trying to shut them down.

My LGS has several computer stations for foid applications.

Has anyone here been to the shop? There are areas I will not visit out of an abundance of caution. It is good to see this shop flourishing. From all the media reports over the years it appears that leaders in the AA community would not supported such an enterprise. Surprised

the reverends JJ and AS havent staged a photo shoot protest out front trying to shut them down.

Yes. See my post #7. Visit the range. You will be welcomed. The owner is super friendly.

The shop is NOT on southside of Chicago. You should be fine.. :D

I support any gun business opening up during the Virus Times. With inventory for most firearm products being hard to get, he took a big chance in opening up a range with little to no ammo to sell. With that being said, the media is at their scumbag reporting again. Why didn't they report how many federally licensed minority owned businesses exist in Cook County, the 7 county region, throughout the state, or in the U.S. Why didn't they report on Eagle Shooting Range being a minority owned business, the guy is Middle Eastern. Why didn't they give cudos to Bridgeview for allowing a range to open in their community. As we all know, there are still no public ranges in Chicago, unless you count the south and west side corners of Chicago. For anyone that knows anything about getting approved to be a federally licensed gun dealer, your city/town/village holds ALL the cards. If your village says no, guess what, NO LICENSE. I wish that owner would have talked about the $25 gun violence tax hurting a new start-up gun business, especially a minority owned business, as well as the ammo tax, since he does operate a gun range. What about how hard was it for him to get a loan to open up a gun range? Was it easy to get a credit card processor for his gun business; knowing PayPal, Square, and Quick Books will not allow firearm transactions and have frozen gun dealer accounts and charged them $2500 per transaction for violating their TOS. I am a American Mexican gun dealer and never mention that in any of the gun groups I am in, unless asked or for purposes such as this. It is irrelevant, gun owners are looking for; #1 the best price, #2 hours of operation, #3 a knowledgeable gun dealer, and #4 customer service. During the Virus Times, you can add, a dealer who has inventory...HaHa

Archived