Make sure NRA Creds are up to date with ISP!

foxriver6

I faxed mine *twice* and got a receive error both times. I did ask them on the fax cover to confirm receipt but I doubt they'll bother since they didn't bother to notify us in the first F&^%$! place. I suppose this means I'll also get to call ISP to make sure they got them.

Edit: NP, I just scanned and emailed it too after seeing the email address listed. I marked the email for a return receipt. As if that will stop them from 'overlooking' what I sent.

Edited by JSharp

I've had previous conversations about CCL Instructor issues with Carl Weitzel at ISP. Supposedly he was the guy in charge to handle any CCL instructor issues.

Carl J. Weitzel
Concealed Carry Section
Instructors and Curriculum
217-558-5361

So I sent him an email asking for details about how instructors should update their credentials when needed.

Unfortunately, the email bounced.

Could it be that we no longer have this great contact at ISP?

I would like to see this thread pinned so that instructors don't get caught up in the ISP CCL contact person issues.

This needs resolved.

http://www.illinoiscarry.com/forum/uploads/monthly_08_2014/post-2774-0-23956800-1407898650.jpg

post-2774-0-23956800-1407898650_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mr. Fife

I've had previous conversations about CCL Instructor issues with Carl Weitzel at ISP. Supposedly he was the guy in charge to handle any CCL instructor issues.

Carl J. Weitzel

Concealed Carry Section

217-558-5361

So I sent him an email asking for details about how instructors should update their credentials when needed.

His LinkedIn profile still lists ISP Concealed Carry Coordinator. This document, http://www.docstoc.com/docs/160336604/ILLINOIS-STATE-POLICE-EMAIL-DIRECTORY, indicates a dot i.e. "." between first and last instead of an underscore if that makes a difference. Could be it's not current.

Edited by InterestedBystander

Carl J. Weitzel

Concealed Carry Section

217-558-5361

His LinkedIn profile still lists ISP Concealed Carry Coordinator. This document, http://www.docstoc.com/docs/160336604/ILLINOIS-STATE-POLICE-EMAIL-DIRECTORY, indicates a dot i.e. "." between first and last instead of an underscore if that makes a difference. Could be it's not current.

I used the address from a previous correspondence with him. I'll try the others tomorrow.

Friend and fellow instructor called to ask if I knew my instructor creds had been revoked? Did not know that! Called ISP and it was because the NRA credentials I sent them with application have an expiration date and I renewed before they expired but did not up date with ISP. Never occurred to me that they would just revoke without checking. My bad!

A big THANK YOU for posting this. I personally didn't even think about this. You would think the ISP would have given us a heads up. On second thought why would they want to help us out even a little. Dagnabit.

I'm not sure if it was the multiple FAX's or the email but I got a notice back this morning saying my credentials had been updated. Apparently it is possible to do this...

What method did they use to get this notice to you?

bobapunk, hope you get it straightened out. Only consolation is it appears instructors I respect did not know about this either! Just don't get why they want to screw with the "good guys", seams they should be busy enough with real problems!

You and me both. I faxed them everything on Monday. The fax did go through so hopefully everything goes as it should on the ISP end. I will probably call them next week to find out.

I'm not sure if it was the multiple FAX's or the email but I got a notice back this morning saying my credentials had been updated. Apparently it is possible to do this...

What method did they use to get this notice to you?

Email. I asked them to confirm via fax or email. I got a simple 'Your instructor credentials have been updated' from the Instructor_Docs@isp email address.

Not bad. It took them just a day and half to respond to my email. (I did send it to 2 different email addresses and a fax)

==========================================================

Date: Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Your instructor credentials have been updated. Thank you.

Illinois State Police
Concealed Carry Firearms
Instructor/Curriculum Section
801 S Seventh Street, Suite 400-M
Springfield, IL 62703

Friend and fellow instructor called to ask if I knew my instructor creds had been revoked? Did not know that! Called ISP and it was because the NRA credentials I sent them with application have an expiration date and I renewed before they expired but did not up date with ISP. Never occurred to me that they would just revoke without checking. My bad!

A big THANK YOU for posting this. I personally didn't even think about this. You would think the ISP would have given us a heads up. On second thought why would they want to help us out even a little. Dagnabit.

+1 on this. I certainly would have never known otherwise and I would have gotten nailed. I planned on waiting until the day my NRA certs expired before renewing them and I sure wouldn't have thought to notify ISP.

Emailed mine after renewal, but have not gotten any reply at all.

Will just have to wait and see.

I am still on the list as good.

+1 on this. I certainly would have never known otherwise and I would have gotten nailed. I planned on waiting until the day my NRA certs expired before renewing them and I sure wouldn't have thought to notify ISP.

I think if you renew them ahead of time, they will still extend them to the 2 years past your regular expiration date. When I paid my fee for my new Personal Protection in the Home instructor status a few months ago, they re-upped all of my credentials and extended the from December of this year (the regular expiration date).

• 4 weeks later...

I got a letter from the ISP couple of weeks ago telling me that my instructor permit was revoked - after waiting on the phone for over 30 minutes I found out that my NRA credentials had expired. Sent I SP the scan of updated credentials. Hopefully keeping my fingers crossed.

The bad part was that they letter did not state why they were revoking my instructor credentials.

The good part - the lady at ISP on the phone was very helpful.