CLIC Curriculum DVD instructions

Molly B.

see earlier post:

It may depend on the particular model of DVD Player. Some have the ability to explore folders and subfolders through menu screens/cursor with remote. Older players may be finicky with particular brands/types/format of DVD media e.g. DVD+/-R , DL formats

Could it be a bad copy of the DVD?

Did you try "Paste Special" and select "Unformatted Text"? Another way is to paste first into Notepad, then copy/paste into Word.

Again, that will lose all the formatting, which I want to keep.

I noticed there were no power point modules for holster draw of dry fire exercises.

Was this correct?

Also there were a few things I noticed, I can't name off hand at the moment, but in no carry zones there was one placed mentioned twice. And also I forgot what module it was but there was a note I think the author left for him/her self "What does Brandon Phelps say about this?"

The note about Brandon Phelps is where the sponsor's (Phelps) legislative intent is quoted.

There are a couple of items (can't remember which ones) that are mentioned a couple of times because they fall under more than one category.

There were two notes about Phelps. I can't recall exactly where because I did delete the 2nd reference to phelps. I deleted the 2nd reference because the first reference made sense, it quoted his words in the hearing. However the 2nd reference literally said "What does Phelps have to say about this???" It seemed to me that this was nothing more than a place holder for the author to fill in phelps words at a later time. Or was I as the presenter supposed to look it up and quiz the students? In either case I can't tell you what slide it was on because I deleted that bullet point.

If you put the DVD into a standard DVD player Massad will start right up.

What if he doesn't start right up? Any suggestions?

Assuming windows, open "my computer" or just "computer" depending on version. Click on you DVD drive, you do have a DVD drive and not a CD drive right? Then browse to the file you wish to open. In this case, I think we were looking for the video. It would be Extras > lethal_use_of_force.....

So I just need to go buy a bunch of different dvd players and try the dvd in all of them until I find one that works?

LOL Take it to the store and try their DVD players, might even get a few students from it :)

Ok here is what I did. I put it in my DVD player, older Sony about 13 years or so old. It loaded to the screen where I should be able to select play all, but I was unable to select any buttons. I pressed stop stop, and that brought me to the sony blue screen. Same blue screen I see if no DVD is inserted, then I simply pressed play at the blue screen and it began playing the DVD from the beginning. Your DVD player may operate differently.

It would be cheaper and easier to just do it myself, ive watched mass do all of this 100 times.you copied part of it from a video called shoot to live. Can I mail this back to u for refund?

Are you qualified to speak about lethal use of force?

So I just need to go buy a bunch of different dvd players and try the dvd in all of them until I find one that works?

LOL Take it to the store and try their DVD players, might even get a few students from it :)

Not a bad idea, id like to shove the legal requirements up the ISPs a**

It would be cheaper and easier to just do it myself, ive watched mass do all of this 100 times.you copied part of it from a video called shoot to live. Can I mail this back to u for refund?

What do u mean? Im approved imstructor so ya. Its just a law, anyone can go read the damn thimg. Were not giving legal advise

We are only required to present the law - if you are approved by the ISP to be an instructor, you can present the law.

What do u mean? Im approved imstructor so ya. Its just a law, anyone can go read the damn thimg. Were not giving legal advise

Yeah I am an instructor as well, but I do not want the liability of giving legal advise in the way that Ayoob does in regards to lethal use of force. For me, the video alone was worth the cost of CLIC. It limits my liability, cheap insurance policy IMO.

Ya I see that now that I got the damn thing to play. Check out shoot to live on YouTube, he does the 21 ft thing on there. That video is amazing because it was done in 1990 and it shows how far ahead of his time mass was and is. Glad I got this working, I've never spent 150 bucks on a DVD before but this is worth every penny!

You guys did great on the curriculum too, going to make for a good guide to keep me organized.

Cgs, I did the stop stop thing and it worked! I'm going to try it on the other two DVD players

Glad it worked!

It was not copied. Look at Massad's shirt. He has an Illinois Ccarry shirt on, done just for Illinois Carry.

Yep and he makes reference to Illinoiscarry several times during the DVD. Pretty cool!

Cgs, I did the stop stop thing and it worked! I'm going to try it on the other two DVD players

On some DVD Players when the chapters are selected, (play all is a chapter) you have to push the enter key on the remote to get the chapters to play. Not the play key.

Yeah, I tried both. Enter, play, and Menu buttons. I play mine off the computer so it's not a problem for me. Was just testing it for Drylok.

Peoria cops taught me the 21-foot thing back in the late 80s, early '90s. I've freaked out some newsroom folk who had no idea how fast a person can close. Gave them a rolled up newspaper, had 'em charge and stab me with said newspaper, with a third person on a stopwatch. It's true. Dang near anyone can close 7 yards in 1.5 seconds or even less.

You guys are aware that there is no 21 Foot Rule. Right? "21 foot rule" is a misnomer and would more correctly be called the Tueller Principle. It is all about the reactionary gap which is different for everyone.

As explained by Ayoob in the CLIC video. The average adult male can close a distance of 21' in 1.5 seconds. That by the way is about the average an adult can draw from a holster.

Why the heck was the font in my post so big? Just want to let everyone know I wasn't shouting or anything.

I haven't seen the CLIC video yet and yes the average adult can close a gap of that distance in that time frame but as Dennis Tueller has said before that is irrelevant. 21 feet is the distance at which he tested out his theory. Too much emphasis is put on this distance and most people completely miss the point.

My reactionary gap is different than the next guys. If it takes me on average 1.5 seconds to react and draw and squeeze off my first shot, chances are me and the BG are dead. There are too many instances were well placed shots do not immediately stop an attack and the BG running at you may have all the momentum he needs to accomplish his goal.

The whole point of the principle is that use of force can be justifiable out to distances that some would find hard to believe and one is not as safe as most normally think at what we think are reasonable distances from potential threats.

Why the heck was the font in my post so big? Just want to let everyone know I wasn't shouting or anything.

I haven't seen the CLIC video yet and yes the average adult can close a gap of that distance in that time frame but as Dennis Tueller has said before that is irrelevant. 21 feet is the distance at which he tested out his theory. Too much emphasis is put on this distance and most people completely miss the point.

My reactionary gap is different than the next guys. If it takes me on average 1.5 seconds to react and draw and squeeze off my first shot, chances are me and the BG are dead. There are too many instances were well placed shots do not immediately stop an attack and the BG running at you may have all the momentum he needs to accomplish his goal.

The whole point of the principle is that use of force can be justifiable out to distances that some would find hard to believe and one is not as safe as most normally think at what we think are reasonable distances from potential threats.

I think actually though, from an instructional point of view, it really helps students understand how fast a dynamic event occurs. Many of my students are shocked when they learn this. Most never really thought about it.

I understand what you're saying and agree.

• Molly B. unpinned this topic

Archived