First time Hand gun Purchase

LouWestin

Lots of good options for 22 pistols. In addition to the TX22 there’s also the S&W Victory and M&P22, and the Browning Buckmark series. All are well regarded and can be had for under $400 if you stick with the more basic models. The TX22 has a 16 round magazine vs 10 rounds for most others, but is no longer discounted in price like before the ‘rona.

I think it makes sense to have a 22 in addition to your main caliber just because the ammo is so much cheaper, and some days when 9 isn’t even available you might find 22 on the shelf. No sense in paying for 30-60 minutes of range time and leaving after 10 minutes because you don’t have enough 9mm to shoot.

In general terms - the 'least expensive' target shooting caliber which WILL ably teach safe handgun use, trigger control, sight picture etc is the .22LR. IMHO everyone should own at least one and plink with it regularly.

After that the 9mm is the most common centerfire caliber and therefore will be the 'least expensive' to use at the range and is still plenty powerful enough for self defense.

There really isn't "one" gun that fits all anymore than there is one make of gloves or shoes that fits all. Especially of late guns are quite pricey and even hard to find in stock so smart money says "Rent a bunch till you find one you REALLY like and shoot well". Then shop for that one and buy it. It may well NOT be the same choice for you and your partner, and that's fine too.

Agreed on all points here.

I'd recommend getting the largest 9mm that you can each comfortably hold (if you're only going to get one gun), but ideally, you'd each have your own.

.380 is a decent round, but it's more of a specialty round than 9mm. It's much harder to find right now, and it doesn't do anything better than 9mm. Felt recoil in a mouse gun is going to be high, and in a compact size I haven't noticed much difference between 9mm and .380acp. Capacity is exactly the same. Don't train for the first time on a micro .380 or micro anything... get something larger so that you'll want to come back and keep shooting. You're going to be far more inaccurate with a smaller pistol and it's going to be much harder to hit your target with a short barrel. Make it easy on yourself and go with a compact or full size pistol.

Try out as many guns as you can before purchasing. Each grip angle, trigger, and other ergonomics are going to make a difference.

9mm is the most common handgun round in the world. You can't go wrong with it as a starting point.

If you are focused on conceal carry in 9mm in all four seasons with good capacity I would suggest the Sig Sauer p365 might be the last gun you buy.among other options is the glock 43.both are referred to as micro compacts.the glock g19 is also a iconic gun more than worthy of consideration.no one can dispute the simplicity,ease of take down,functionality and reliability of glock.if upper body strength in racking a slide is a problem look at the s\w ez platform.you have plenty of time,be smart and make informed decisions. Remeber,a conceal licence will take at least 4-6 months.good luck.

It's not a horrible idea to have a .22 which is similar or identical to whatever possibly larger caliber gun you wish to carry. Training with .22 is less expensive than training with 9/.380/.357 etc.

I have a couple Walther PPKs and a companion Bersa .22, which is similar in size and trigger feel. Fun to shoot, too! For my High Powers and a KelTec P-11, I have .22 conversion kits. I can train with the very same trigger I carry, at a much lower cost per round. I also have revolvers of the same frame size in .22 and .38 special. I hope to run across a Sig P-938 22 kit and a Kadet kit for the CZ 75 platform one day.

In my limited experience with .380... the PPK and the Beretta 85, which are both heavier than the current polymer platforms, it is pretty darned snappy due to the design of the pistols, I suppose. In a Sig P238 it is less snappy than the 9mm round in the nearly identical P-938.

What great fun... talking about guns.

What I always recommend is to try as many different firearms as possible to find the one that fits their natural put together. How it feels in the hand, can they reach the controls easily and without changing grip, can the handle to recoil, can the manipulate the weapon as needed, are the sights what they need, can they easily conceal it. Each person is unique and have their own perspective. As far as calibers go, if possible stay with the 9mm. 380 will do the job and of course the 22 is nothing I would want to be shot with. It has to do more with putting the bullet where it will do the most damage.

When I was 3 years old, my father decided it was high time I learned my way around a pistol. So he handed me his prized Colt 45, the same one that had traveled with him all over the South Pacific during the Second World War.

You can bet I'll stick with my Colt 45, because changing your mind is for weak-willed men, and there's nothing weak about the 45 ACP.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=f55_mFAOvRA

Enjoy.

Was the LuckyGunner piece supposed to be satire?

There have been plenty of dead bodies in Chicago with 9mm bullet holes.

Yes, it's satire. I'd rate Lucky Gunner and Paul Harrell as the two best firearms channels on YouTube that are accurate, useful, and free of politics and drama. Paul can get a bit esoteric at times, though.

Meanwhile, Chris Baker (Lucky Gunner) has a way of presenting some information in a highly entertaining way. So if you take his statements denigrating anything that's not 45 ACP as serious, you might need to recalibrate (no pun intended) your views.

• 3 weeks later...

Was the LuckyGunner piece supposed to be satire?

There have been plenty of dead bodies in Chicago with 9mm bullet holes.

Yes, it's satire. I'd rate Lucky Gunner and Paul Harrell as the two best firearms channels on YouTube that are accurate, useful, and free of politics and drama. Paul can get a bit esoteric at times, though.

Meanwhile, Chris Baker (Lucky Gunner) has a way of presenting some information in a highly entertaining way. So if you take his statements denigrating anything that's not 45 ACP as serious, you might need to recalibrate (no pun intended) your views.

Paul Harrell might not present information in the most entertaining way, but he has some of the best advice of anyone on youtube.

Archived