Carrying an AR Pistol

majd0910

Hello Guys,

So, I have been reading/hearing mixed things from different people and have even called the State Police to ask for a clear answer, however I cannot find a clear answer on this topic. I know that the laws are broad and there is so much to say about what is legal and what is not, so I was wondering if anyone knows the rules to having an AR Pistol in a Bag, loaded in a vehicle, with a CCL. I have heard that you are allowed to in the state except for Chicago due to local ordinances as they do not recognize AR PIstols as Pistols. Does anyone have a clear answer to what we can/cannot do?

So, the questions is, can we leave an AR Pistol that meets all the qualifications to be recognized as a pistol our vehicles as long as it is hidden from the public view?

Furthermore, the State Police said you'd have to be able to conceal it to be able to carry it with you, and so I would argue that leaving at trench coat in the car with the weapon validates that purpose as it is concealable with the coat. I emailed a lawyer about this questions, but I also wanted to ask on here to see if anyone does have a clear answer as I only found a few topics that pertain to this question.

Thanks!

430 ILCS 66/ Firearm Concealed Carry Act.

"Handgun" means any device which is designed to expel a projectile or projectiles by the action of an explosion, expansion of gas, or escape of gas that is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand.

It is my understanding that the ar pistol is listed on the 4473 as a handgun/pistol and as such may be carried. If able to be carried then having same in your car loaded while in the car and having a CCL would be fine.

As for the trench coat and how one would actually carry the firearm outside the car, thats another issue.

Im sure there will be others along soon to add the various thoughts and opinions on this question.

Im looking at one at this time and weighing my options as to which one I want and costs.

As for the Chicago rules, it would be interesting to see them actually arrest and charge for this as discussed here often. Disclaimer....you would have to be willing to be the test case.

But it is the opinion that they would not want to open the can o beans since they cant over step the FCCL as it is written, IMO. As far as I know there is no registration in Chicago. Although some say that there is a 10 or 15 round mag limit in Chicago. But I havent seen a case charged and convicted over that either.

IANAL, YMMV, Just one mans opinion.

If you can conceal it, CCL applies. State law supersedes Chicago municipal code. Chicago cops will confiscate it, anyway, and make you try to get it back.

While we all await the first real test case, I would advise not volunteering to be it. (People with neither FOIDs not CCLs, but with rifle-caliber pistols, get charged with AWB violations regularly in chicago. They're not real test cases.)

IANAL

Shortly after the CCL went into affect a man in Southern Illinois was arrested for having a loaded AR pistol in his vehicle. If I remember correctly Todd helped get him released fairly quickly with all charges dismissed. So, it seems that it is technically legal but an officer may or may not know that.

And depending on where he's from and what his views are, he may not CARE what the law is. I've thought about it at times, and always nixed the idea for that reason.

I’m of the thought that most times these questions are for carry within an automobile.

Most always have something injected into the post about loaded and in the car/truck.

As I posted above I am looking at one but have no interest in carrying it everyday on my person.

But a great tool for home defense and mobile defense. Just my opinion.

I remember a pretty wish person once told me “Just because you can doesn’t mean you should”.

Thread winner!

Almost for sure but -1 for spelling

Hay, I resemble dat remarc.

Four da recurd, I spell purdy gude, itz my fat fingurz and autocompleeete dat maks my posts come out funy

I did my ccw renewal from an instructor that was in law enforcement. This exact question came up. His take on it (rightly or wrongly) was that he was confiscating the weapon. The rationale was that he "thought" it was a rifle. The advice he gave was to make sure the lower had "pistol" in it somewhere, making it much more difficult for the police to "believe" it is a rifle. That said, they still make take it.

Shortly after the CCL went into affect a man in Southern Illinois was arrested for having a loaded AR pistol in his vehicle. If I remember correctly Todd helped get him released fairly quickly with all charges dismissed. So, it seems that it is technically legal but an officer may or may not know that.

iirc, the AR pistol was covered in rear floorboard but he was charged with transporting a loaded rifle. Todd did get involved. edit: I see post on original event was linked.

I did my ccw renewal from an instructor that was in law enforcement. This exact question came up. His take on it (rightly or wrongly) was that he was confiscating the weapon. The rationale was that he "thought" it was a rifle. The advice he gave was to make sure the lower had "pistol" in it somewhere, making it much more difficult for the police to "believe" it is a rifle. That said, they still make take it.

I must’ve taken the same or similar class from that same instructor, still regret not calling him out on that comment of unethical “thought”.

This is what makes the mandatory training such a farce. Instructor's are free to make up whatever they like.

Sad that this individual hasn't checked with any authority over him on how the state views this. I guess just make it up as you go?

Archived