Vendor killed by gang members at 99th and halsted

I watched the whole news conference with Quinn and all the sheeple. The thing that always pisses me off is when these people say "gun violence" with every crime or murder in Chicago. Its not gun violence its mostly gang violence with guns. If Chicago would solve their overwhelming gang problem then there would be such a decrease in shootings!

I watched the whole news conference with Quinn and all the sheeple. The thing that always pisses me off is when these people say "gun violence" with every crime or murder in Chicago. Its not gun violence its mostly gang violence with guns. If Chicago would solve their overwhelming gang problem then there would be such a decrease in shootings!

Exactly it is gang violence! I always wonder how many innocent people are dead because of being disarmed by Illinois' ban on concealed carry over the last 30 years

It is a shame this kid was killed by GANG VIOLENCE. Libs can't call it what it is, they have to use the term gun violence. I tried to watch Quinn's press conference today, but got sickened by the repeat of the phrase "common sense" because it can not be common sense when it comes out of the mouth of a Chicago Liberal Democrat.

Chicago can't solve their gang problem, they'd have to get rid of that subset of democrat voters. You know that won't happen.

Interesting Fact………

The United States is 3rd in Murders throughout the World.

But if you take out Chicago, Detroit , Washington DC and New Orleans , the United States is 4th from the Bottom for Murders.

These 4 Cities also have the toughest Gun Control Laws in the United States .

This tell you anything?

PS: These cities are also run by DEMOCRATS! Imagine that.

Gang violence fueled by drug money and drug turf wars. Get rid of the source of money (narcotics distribution) and the primary motivation to kill each other (fighting over turf wars) and a lot (but not all) of the violence decreases. Once that kind of "I will kill a rival gang member over a street corner" mentality takes hold of someone it is a very small step to "I will kill ANYONE if I THINK they disrespected me."

THIS IS WHY I WANT TO CARRY CONCEALED. I cannot stop two gang bangers from trying to kill each other, and frankly I don't care. That is the life they chose. However, this violence NEVER stops there. Some innocent bystander gets caught in the crossfire of a drive-by or another honest citizen gets killed because he didn't grovel at the feet of some gang banger.

If the victim in this story turns out to just be some hard working citizen, what the people in the community will learn from this is to NEVER cross gang members. And that is what has absolutely killed some neighborhoods on the south and west sides. Folks figure that it is safer to just keep your head down and get the heck out of the neighborhood as soon as you can afford to.

A few stories of these gang bangers getting shot by honest citizens who refuse to be victims MIGHT help motivate others to take up arms to defend themselves and (just as importantly) feel comfortable cooperating with the police in putting these dirtbags in prison.

Of course, it would also help if we had a criminal justice system that actually threw the book at violent felons.

Chicago can't solve their gang problem, they'd have to get rid of that subset of democrat voters. You know that won't happen.

But if you take out Chicago, Detroit , Washington DC and New Orleans , the United States is 4th from the Bottom for Murders.

I like that. I don't doubt it, but do you have a source for it? Or did you just figure it out on your own?

I like that. I don't doubt it, but do you have a source for it? Or did you just figure it out on your own?

No, no source, my brother just sent it to me today. I'll ask him where he got it. I have read that the crime rate in N Dakota is lower than just across the border in Canada. Also, the number of murders in the entire state of S Dakota is way less than D.C. Something like 14 - 15 to several hundred.

Hi,

I think we need to pause just a bit on this business of gang-bangers getting more reluctant to do their thing because there is a concealed carry law. It might not have mattered one bit if this victim had been carrying. He was out in the open and mostly focused on business transactions. Even if it was known that he was carrying, there still were ample opportunities for someone determined to rob him, to catch him unaware and shoot him.

Fact is, even with CC there's a very real segment of the criminal community who will simply shoot first and then shake your body down for your wallet, watch, iPhone, and anything else that caught their eye -- whatever they imagine someone who looks like you might have. For many of these thugs, it's just as easy to eliminate any possible threat in advance.

I'm not saying people shouldn't carry, or that there won't be some deterrent effect. Situational awareness will always be critical. And some criminals will indeed change their behavior because there may be lawfully armed people out and about. But we have to remember there always will be thugs out there in the real world who -- once they decide to do a crime and if they calculate the victim might be armed -- won't hesitate one bit to rely on a pre-emptive shot to make their job easier and safer -- for them.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips

Hi,

I think we need to pause just a bit on this business of gang-bangers getting more reluctant to do their thing because there is a concealed carry law. It might not have mattered one bit if this victim had been carrying. He was out in the open and mostly focused on business transactions. Even if it was known that he was carrying, there still were ample opportunities for someone determined to rob him, to catch him unaware and shoot him.

Fact is, even with CC there's a very real segment of the criminal community who will simply shoot first and then shake your body down for your wallet, watch, iPhone, and anything else that caught their eye -- whatever they imagine someone who looks like you might have. For many of these thugs, it's just as easy to eliminate any possible threat in advance.

I'm not saying people shouldn't carry, or that there won't be some deterrent effect. Situational awareness will always be critical. And some criminals will indeed change their behavior because there may be lawfully armed people out and about. But we have to remember there always will be thugs out there in the real world who -- once they decide to do a crime and if they calculate the victim might be armed -- won't hesitate one bit to rely on a pre-emptive shot to make their job easier and safer -- for them.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips

Rich I think that citizens deserve a sporting chance against thugs. Citizens can also improve the odds by wearing a bullet proof vest just like the police do.

Hi Chicago,

True, but as a practical matter ballistics vests are not a solution for most folks.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from carrying lawfully, nor asserting that CC won't make some difference. I'm just saying that objectively there are a lot of violent criminals out there who will adapt to CC by sizing people up a bit differently, and if they really want to do the crime, they'll shoot first. That's a sad reality for certain parts of our cities, and with certain kinds of people.

The other reality is that if you stay out of certain zip codes, and stay out of others after dark, the probability of being a violent crime victim drops significantly. But that's no comfort to folks who have to live and work in -- and travel through -- those zip codes at all times of the day. Which is why law-abiding folks ought to be able to size up all the variables and make their own decision about this -- not Quinn, Madigan, Dart, or anyone else.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips

No, no source, my brother just sent it to me today. I'll ask him where he got it. I have read that the crime rate in N Dakota is lower than just across the border in Canada. Also, the number of murders in the entire state of S Dakota is way less than D.C. Something like 14 - 15 to several hundred.

Okay, thanks, wouldn't be too hard to verify. I like to be able to point to some kind of factual reference when I use these things, so I'll look into it and report back.

Sounds like some BS chain letter. The US is 8th in the world for total murders by sheer numbers, but per capita, the US is around 60th. Even if those murder rates were taken away from those cities, their is no way it would plunge that far.

Interesting Fact………

This tell you anything?

Source???

Interesting Fact………

This tell you anything?

where can these figures be found? I'd like to re-quote this, but not without verifying the information....

How very, very true!! I wretch every time I hear the term. Another invention. the likes of "assault weapon."

Also true, at least of Chicago Democrats. Now if southern Democrats would become Independents; or in some way divorce themselves from Chicago Dems we might even get rid of Madigan AND gang violence!

I would have asked Governor Quinn about this incident at the press conference, Unfortunately it's too late for him to conceal carry. He's dead http://www.huffingto..._n_3534715.html

I almost chimed in that it's Quinn's fault this man couldn't protect himself. But this poor man wouldn't have been able to hold a permit yet. Actually, it's Madigan's. Speaker Madigan was the one that last session wouldn't allow our bill out of committee. Thoughts, anyone?

Edited to quote this:

The source can be found on the Wheeling assault weapons thread.

He was the first speaker. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RX3uJTiiuwA

He just about single hand set the mood for the vote.

Great clip, bravo, sorry I tossed up my smart assed response before seeing your post. =)

This was in response to the Stat Post:

I heard the same thing, but with the removal of New Orleans, and the addition of New Jersey. It would be a great stat if there is verification. The catch is that our FBI crime stats track suicides and self defense / law enforcement shootings as homicides as well. I don't know where the facts would have come from. I think the CDC is now going to track gun deaths, so we'll have accurate numbers for sure!

Archived