Automatic Knives for FOID Holders Becomes Law!

omg_its_john_cena

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw this thread. Not able to find a way to file a witness slip for SB607. Is it too late?

Looks like Senate Criminal Law Hearing committee has been rescheduled for next week and SB0607 is on the agenda, but who knows if it will stay or be called.

Scheduled Date 2/28/2017 - 4:30 PM

Location 400 - Capitol - - Springfield, IL

Posting Date 2/22/2017 - 4:22 PM

http://my.ilga.gov/Hearing/HearingDetail/14275?SCommittees3/2/2017-page=1&SCommittees3/2/2017-orderBy=&SCommittees3/2/2017-filter=&committeeid=0&chamber=S&nodays=7&_=1487853092604

Synopsis As Introduced

Amends the Criminal Code of 2012. Provides an exemption from the prohibition on sale, manufacture, purchase, possession, or carrying of a switchblade knife to a person who possesses a currently valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card previously issued in his or her name by the Department of State Police or to a person or an entity engaged in the business of selling or manufacturing switchblade knives. Effective immediately.

Edited by InterestedBystander

Just saw this thread. Not able to find a way to file a witness slip for SB607. Is it too late?

Looks like Senate Criminal Law Hearing committee has been rescheduled for next week and SB0607 is on the agenda, but who knows if it will stay or be called.

Scheduled Date 2/28/2017 - 4:30 PM

Location 400 - Capitol - - Springfield, IL

Posting Date 2/22/2017 - 4:22 PMhttp://my.ilga.gov/Hearing/HearingDetail/14275?SCommittees3/2/2017-page=1&SCommittees3/2/2017-orderBy=&SCommittees3/2/2017-filter=&committeeid=0&chamber=S&nodays=7&_=1487853092604

Synopsis As Introduced

Amends the Criminal Code of 2012. Provides an exemption from the prohibition on sale, manufacture, purchase, possession, or carrying of a switchblade knife to a person who possesses a currently valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card previously issued in his or her name by the Department of State Police or to a person or an entity engaged in the business of selling or manufacturing switchblade knives. Effective immediately.

11 proponent 2 opponent for Tuesday committee meeting

Thanks for sharing the great news InterestedBystander. Yeah, I saw that. The Sheriff is in the Illinois Sheriffs Association which facilitates communication and training across the Counties. He had an entry for proponent and another entry for opponent. Glad they straighten that out.

Most Illinois Sheriffs are constitutional and backed Illinois Concealed Carry. The link below is a 02/04/2009 Press Release, which starts with:

"The Illinois Sheriffs' Association at their Winter Training Conference passed a resolution in support of concealed carry in Illinois with specific limitations. After much discussion and concerns about the final language of the legislation the sheriffs, present and voting, unanimously approved the resolution. There were sixty of the one hundred and two sheriffs registered for the training conference."

http://www.ilsheriff.org/images/stories/resolutions/press%20release%202009-1%20conceal%20carry%20resolution.pdf

Edited by OldMarineVet

SB0607 was passed out of committee yesterday

Put on schedule for 2nd reading in Senate tomorrow. Not sure what that means exactly. Hate to get my hopes up at this point .... but man, I'd like this to pass. I have weakness in my arms due to a childhood bout of polio. Hard to work a knife, especially walking with crutches. I know, there's a law for "one armed" folks, but does nothing for those of us whose strength is impaired.

Put on schedule for 2nd reading in Senate tomorrow. Not sure what that means exactly. Hate to get my hopes up at this point .... but man, I'd like this to pass. I have weakness in my arms due to a childhood bout of polio. Hard to work a knife, especially walking with crutches. I know, there's a law for "one armed" folks, but does nothing for those of us whose strength is impaired.

How a bill becomes law

http://www.ilga.gov/commission/lis/98bill_law.pdf

I have some issues as well and this would make things easier.

Assuming it is allowed to be called, bill is read 3 times and if passed, goes to other chamber for reading and voting. It passes if both agree on wording and/or any amendments.

We did have last session's bill in the support column, but it was passive support without ever devoting resources to it. We're primarily a firearm related organization, after all.

It seemed more accurate to call our position neutral this session when kept in perspective of other bills, but that's more a change in terminology than a change in our actual stance.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the link InterestedBystander! Lets hope the bill continues flowing down the path to a law!

For those that missed it in todays legislative update, the bill (SB0607) has moved on to 3rd reading so it is a little bit closer

3/14/2017 Senate Second Reading

3/14/2017 Senate Placed on Calendar Order of 3rd Reading March 15, 2017

Edited by InterestedBystander

• 2 weeks later...

Now that the 15th has come and gone, does anyone know when the 3rd reading is supposed to take place?

Moving to 3rd reading means the bill is eligible for a vote in that body, but it doesn't guarantee a vote. The sponsor would normally hold the bill until he feels he has enough support to pass it.

I know. I read somewhere that this actually had the support needed to pass finally. I'm not a fan of knives so I haven't been following it but after reading that bills were introduced to legalize weed, I started wondering.

When I was a kid growing up on the west side of Chicago, every single friend I had carried a switchblade. No one ever used them for anything more than showing their friends. My how times have changed.