GOP Rep Sidestepped House Metal Detectors to Get Legal Standing

mauserme

https://www.fox32chicago.com/news/gop-rep-sidestepped-metal-detectors

GOP rep says he intentionally sidestepped House metal detectors to get legal standing to sue Pelosi

Published 12 hours ago Nancy Pelosi FOX News

WASHINGTON - GOP Rep. Andrew Clyde said he wasn't trying to sneak a gun into the House chamber when he bypassed new metal detectors installed at the Capitol in the wake of the Jan. 6 riot.

Instead, the Second Amendment enthusiast said he was purposely skirting the new security rules to have a chance to sue House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

"I did that so we would have legal standing to take the case to federal court, and that's exactly what I'm going to do," Clyde, R-Ga., told Fox News....

Rep. Louie Gohmert of Texas was also fined $5,000 for skirting the metal detectors. Both Republican members are appealing their fines to the House Ethics Committee.

"It was all preplanned to make sure that we had legal standing," Clyde told Fox News.

Assuming he loses his appeal in the Ethics Committee, Clyde said he's prepared to file a lawsuit against Pelosi, Capitol Police and the House Sergeant at Arms to challenge the newly installed magnetometers and to fight for Second Amendment rights at the Capitol.

Could be an interesting case, I suspect the courts will favor the Capitol as being a place where the 2nd can be infringed similar to court house where I suspect there is little chance the court rules fully in his favor, but a case like this could very well be a case to lay down a new level of scrutiny and possible even a pronged test of where and how the 2nd can be infringed.

They can be carried into the building but the body passes their own rules. Pelosi created a rule that they could not be brought into the actual chamber under penalty of fine. So while they cant legally ban carry on the chamber floor, the goal is to discourage carry on the floor by fining $5K per incident.

There has been reports that she regularly by passes the metal detectors herself and some were filing ethic charges on her for it

They've attempted to have her fined. Apparently, the Capitol Police wouldn't play ball at that time.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/republicans-demand-pelosi-pay-fine-after-speaker-defies-new-rule-bypasses-house-metal-detectors

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/calls-pelosi-pay-fine-she-imposed-bypass-metal-detector

"Davis called on Capitol Police to report the violation to the acting Sergeant-at-Arms, Timothy Blodgett, so he could issue the fine. Blodgett said Friday Capitol Police had not reported the incident."

""Capitol Police cannot only file reports of violations on Republicans and look the other way when the most powerful person in the House, the speaker, flouts her own rules," Davis said."

That would be Taylorville's own Rodney Davis. This was about 6 weeks ago. Maybe the "push" has begun.

Since the Capitol Police have chosen to not enforce the rule against some but enforce it against others, the ethics commitee should immediately drop the fines anything less would show and obvious bias and potential civil rights biased especially in a lawsuit.

<sarcasm \on>

Yeah, I hear there’s some “document” or law that says something about equal protection under the law, but they say you need to have a PHD to really understand it.

<sarcasm \off>

Archived