Intoxicated CCL-holder points gun at three cops

Euler

CWBChicago

Around 8:30 Sunday night, cops were dispatched to 66th and Wolcott in West Englewood after ShotSpotter technology detected four gunshots in the area. Officers rolled up to the scene with their blue lights activated and immediately noticed a minivan with five shell casings lying outside of it -- and a man passed out behind the steering wheel, prosecutors said.

The driver, identified as 36-year-old concealed carry holder Gregory Arrington, woke up, lifted the gun in his hand, and pointed it at two of the cops, according to prosecutors. Those two officers reportedly took cover at the rear of his van.

Arrington then turned to the third cop and pointed his handgun directly at the officer with both of his hands outstretched, prosecutors said. The cop did not shoot him.

Instead, the officers repeatedly ordered Arrington to put down his gun and step out of the van, prosecutors said. He eventually did.

"This arrest, this stop could have ended so much worse," Judge David Navarro said after hearing the states allegations. "This was such a volatile situation."

Then he let Arrington go home by posting a $1,000 deposit on his $10,000 bail amount. Navarro pointed to Arrington's lack of any criminal record as he set conditions for his release.

I think the assault on the police officers are misdemeanors in Illinois. Assault with a firearm only becomes a felony if the firearm is discharged. (Welcome to Illinois.) This could get interesting.

if the match the casings to the gun then he unlawfully discharge a weapon as evidenced by the casings and shotspotter

devils advocate scenario (probably what his lawyer will lay out if the guy kept his mouth shut):

he admits to the dui..... he was passing out behind the wheel while stopped....... some idiots tried to take advantage of the situation..... he was still conscious enough to pull his weapon and fire at them....... he was too drunk to hit anything......... this explains the shots fired..... and why he pointed at the cops when he woke up again, thinking the perps were back..... all plausible enough for a defense of everything but the dui charge

while I dont agree with mixing guns and being drunk....always a bad idea... I think too many seem to believe you lose your right to self defense just because youre drunk

From section 70 (violations) of the FCCA.

(d) A licensee shall not carry a concealed firearm while under the influence of alcohol, other drug or drugs, intoxicating compound or combination of compounds, or any combination thereof, under the standards set forth in subsection (a) of Section 11-501 of the Illinois Vehicle Code.

A licensee in violation of this subsection (d) shall be guilty of a Class A misdemeanor for a first or second violation and a Class 4 felony for a third violation. The Department may suspend a license for up to 6 months for a second violation and shall permanently revoke a license for a third violation.

The FCCA covers having a loaded gun in a vehicle. If he was wearing a holster or kept the gun in a glove box, console, etc., and subsequently removed it from concealment, the FCCA would still be the determining law.

(c ) A license shall be valid throughout the State for a period of 5 years from the date of issuance. A license shall permit the licensee to:

(1) carry a loaded or unloaded concealed firearm, fully concealed or partially concealed, on or about his or her person; and

(2) keep or carry a loaded or unloaded concealed firearm on or about his or her person within a vehicle.

Why would there be a defense for a drunk (dui) shooting up a street (shotspotter) and pointing a gun at cops!

Should this not be the poster boy for our friends whom are fully against us carrying already? Do these situations do our case any justice even if there are limited charges?

Sorry guy but I’m of the mind that if you are getting drunk, driving drunk, shooting off a weapon, and the pointing said weapon at law enforcement.......you should not have a CCL or a FOID.

What if

Maybe he

Could have been

Makes no sense at all. If you put your self into this scenario and you dream about getting out of it because you come up with all sorts of reasons for your actions......it’s just a dream, we all get a free ride in there but not in the real world.

I agree with Clowny. Us Conservatives rant on and on about liberals not holding bad guys accountable for their actions, and the liberal politicians, law enforcement, and judiciary tossing these guys back on the streets just to rape, assault, and murder again. However, when it's a CCL gun owner from our side giving us a black eye by doing braindead dangerous things, you guys want to coddle them, and make excuses. W T F ??

The guy is a frigging idiot for drinking with a gun in the first place. There is no excuse for this. Pointing the weapon at multiple cops as well, is way beyond over the top. And if indeed he was shooting up the place, the guy has no reason whatsoever in owning a gun, let alone having a CCL. These are the types of people we need to distance ourselves from.

I think we, as law ABIDING gun owners, have to do a better job of whom we want to embrace in these situations. The hypocrisy at times is mind boggling. You guys want to hang young inner city kids for shootings, but it's OK for CCL holders. Retarded.

More than that...

181,000 ccl carriers in IL.I still don't see much bad press if any concerning ccl holders.sometimes they win and occasionally they lose in a shootout, but we all know the risks.this guy would be hard to defend according to the news story.I,for one,am not taking out the violin for him.

As of February per ISRA newsletter...

The Illinois State Police has reported the number of Illinois Concealed Carry Licenses has surpassed 378,000. The original goal was to reach 300,000 and we have well exceeded that number. It is possible we will reach 400,000 ICCLS in 2021.

The number of FOID cards is 2.24 million at the moment. That number is down a little but there are 150,000 new applicants who are not in that number because they are still waiting for their FOID cards. I suspect that the real number will be up if the ISP ever gets caught up on issuing the cards.

... You guys want to hang young inner city kids for shootings, but it's OK for CCL holders. Retarded.

It's not that it's OK. Drinking and toting simultaneously is stupid, but he still gets due process. If he's convicted only of misdemeanors, should he lose his 2A rights?

Lol, nothing wrong with due process? Never questioned that? Where did you pick that up?

I suggested that this kind of grossly irresponsible and dangerous behavior should NOT be condoned or excused in the slightest. The guy clearly put a number of lives at risk and should be held accountable to the full extent of the law. I hope the guy loses his FOID, CCL, and goes to prison.

... You guys want to hang young inner city kids for shootings, but it's OK for CCL holders. Retarded.

It's not that it's OK. Drinking and toting simultaneously is stupid, but he still gets due process. If he's convicted only of misdemeanors, should he lose his 2A rights?

Lol, nothing wrong with due process? Never questioned that? Where did you pick that up?

I suggested that this kind of grossly irresponsible and dangerous behavior should NOT be condoned or excused in the slightest. The guy clearly put a number of lives at risk and should be held accountable to the full extent of the law. I hope the guy loses his FOID, CCL, and goes to prison.

Bingo!

So he gets a fair trial, followed by a first-class hanging?

I'll repeat: If he's convicted only of misdemeanors, should he lose his 2A rights?

"I'll repeat: If he's convicted only of misdemeanors, should he lose his 2A rights?"

From section 70 (violations) of the FCCA.

" (d) A licensee shall not carry a concealed firearm while under the influence of alcohol, other drug or drugs, intoxicating compound or combination of compounds, or any combination thereof, under the standards set forth in subsection (a) of Section 11-501 of the Illinois Vehicle Code.

A licensee in violation of this subsection (d) shall be guilty of a Class A misdemeanor for a first or second violation and a Class 4 felony for a third violation. The Department may suspend a license for up to 6 months for a second violation and shall permanently revoke a license for a third violation."

Apparently, this would only be his first conviction.

Exactly

Which I think is Euler's point......... how about some due process...... the most hes accused of to our knowledge is a misdemeanor...... we dont "hope the guy loses his FOID, CCL, and goes to prison" for that do we???

That would make a person EXTREMELY anti-2A which I dont believe anyone in the thread to be.

Nobody is debating that drunken firearm handling is a bad idea...... other than I would suggest thats just an opinion, and good advice, as well........ to infringe otherwise would make a person as bad as any gun grabber

Archived