Where are we headed in Illinois, what’s the end game?

lilguy

Flynn - FYI

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/average-retirement-age-every-state-110000586.html

It also gives you an idea of how much you will need for a "comfortable retirement".

As of July 2020, Florida was #23 on state and Average local sales taxes. Three years before, FL was #30 so their taxes are rising. TN, AR, LA, and AL were #1, #2, #3, & #5 with the highest sales taxes.

Unfortunately, FL is #8 when it comes to gasoline taxes. GA, AL, & MS are #23, #32, & #48 on gas tax.

We have no interest in living in FL, not a fan of the constant heat and humidity unless it's beach time, we have settled on TN as our new home, that puts FL and other Gulf states within a weekend trip destination same with coming home to visit friends and family for a weekend in IL, and we still get the seasonal changes just not as drastic.

That makes two of us! Nor those big storms. Back in '03, the g/f and I drove down to visit my Dad and step who lived in Naples. Stopped in the Chattanooga area to visit friends and they warned us to be careful of some of those hills. With the low clouds that frequent the area, the hilltops have been known to have "black ice" often. And, as snow is so infrequent, most of the "natives" don't know how to handle ice or snow. But those same hills are usually such a green that we don't see here in Illinois that they are gorgeous.

• 3 weeks later...

I am truly envious of those of you that have left for greener pastures. I wasn't raised here, but came here for work when I was already in my early 50's. I'm long retired now, but my wife has developed a circle of close friends here in Rockford, and with one daughter and her family an hour east in Mount Prospect, another daughter and family an hour north in Madison, and our youngest son and his family right here in Rockford, my wife has no intention of moving. And while I would like to pay less taxes, have less snow and ice, and have a more gun friendly environment, I am not really ready to move far from family. Just yesterday my 16 year old granddaughter drove down from Madison to spend the day with us, and then out with us for a nice dinner at a restaurant. If I moved to TN or FL or AZ, days like that would never happen. My biggest hope is that one or both of my son-in-laws get a great new job down in AZ or NM, so that my wife would want to move to be near them. That's probably the only way I will ever get out of here.

My four siblings left Illinois as they married or got better jobs. I stayed behind and took care of my mom and raised a family.

The day our last son graduated highschool, I said we are out of here. My mother in law griped and complained and told us it was stupid. Two brother in laws didn't understand why. One and on so and so asked why we would leave to go so far away (Tennessee) and not know anyone? I told my wife I was not living for anyone else any longer. We have been gone for 3 years now and I get a sense that the window will be closing on affordable land and housing soon. Inflation is coming, lumber prices/construction is skyrocketing and the Democrats are laying waste to the country.

I am glad I left when I did and I hope never to roll a wheel or set a foot in that state again.

Not that there's anything wrong with Illinois.

Vito - you make a good point for staying and I understand your problem.

My case is nearly the opposite. My elderly parent and I live about 12 miles apart in southern IL-ANNOY while my sibling lives near I-57 & I-74. One of their children is (last I heard) somewhere in Ohio but they are estranged from the family because their nose is "vertically placed". (They would drown if they went out in the rain, they are so "stuck up".) That branch hasn't to any family gatherings that I know of for over 10 years. Oh well (shrugs). My sibling's other child is a single parent of 3 but they only live about 30 miles apart and help out with the kids.

Sibling and spouse get together with me and parent as much as possible and, sometimes, the single parent tags along.

I am truly envious of those of you that have left for greener pastures. I wasn't raised here, but came here for work when I was already in my early 50's. I'm long retired now, but my wife has developed a circle of close friends here in Rockford, and with one daughter and her family an hour east in Mount Prospect, another daughter and family an hour north in Madison, and our youngest son and his family right here in Rockford, my wife has no intention of moving. And while I would like to pay less taxes, have less snow and ice, and have a more gun friendly environment, I am not really ready to move far from family. Just yesterday my 16 year old granddaughter drove down from Madison to spend the day with us, and then out with us for a nice dinner at a restaurant. If I moved to TN or FL or AZ, days like that would never happen. My biggest hope is that one or both of my son-in-laws get a great new job down in AZ or NM, so that my wife would want to move to be near them. That's probably the only way I will ever get out of here.

My kids too have us anchored in Illinois. Family is more valuable then money.

Bought a house in 2018 in SC. Left Illinois for good in 2019.

They still fighting the war down there?

Haven't been there in a very long time.

Working on the not owning anything here and maybe not someplace else.

Wife won't leave daughters at least full time, rest of my family and many friends are now parked in AZ.

Wish it was a little closer we will see.

In my family both daughters are anchored in IL. Two married grandsons also reside in IL and won't leave due to family/career situations. Another grandson managed to bust loos and now lives in OK. My guess is he will stay there. It sickens me to see how the IL politicians continue to ruin the state. Wife and I escaped to IN ten years ago.

As long as Chicago is part of IL I don't see any positive change. I applaud illinoiscarry for the effort is makes to change things.

Son lives in Lake County daughter lives in south east Wisconsin

brother lives near Baraboo

Wife and I live in AZ.

Airplanes make it a 4 hour trip car is 27 hours

we visit in the summer everybody comes down by us in the winter

I am not going to be miserable because "family" lives in the midwest

2200 square foot house in a retirement development area taxes are $ 1100.00 a year

I can afford to buy there airplane tickets or ours or both with just the taxes I dont pay anymore

besides they have lives and jobs even if we still lived in Illinois we wouldnt see them much more than we do now

Wife and I live in AZ.

2200 square foot house in a retirement development area taxes are $ 1100.00 a year

I can afford to buy there airplane tickets or ours or both with just the taxes I dont pay anymore

besides they have lives and jobs even if we still lived in Illinois we wouldnt see them much more than we do now

This is what I'm convincing my wife on, if anything an apartment here, my family is otherwise migrating to AZ, that's works for me.

Lots of friends, gun collectors, also started my foundation Remington Historical Foundation 501©3 in AZ. (shameless plug)

Wife and I live in AZ.

This is what I'm convincing my wife on, if anything an apartment here, my family is otherwise migrating to AZ, that's works for me.

Lots of friends, gun collectors, also started my foundation Remington Historical Foundation 501©3 in AZ. (shameless plug)

Good Luck

I Started working on my wife several years before my retirement .

I had seen to many guys stuck somewhere they didnt want to be because of grandchildren/family

my older brother being one of them

I bought a travel trailer wife and I did some travelling after the kids were grown

we had camped when the kids were little so it wasnt hard to convince her

especially since a new travel trailer isnt "camping"

Now we take a couple weeks/month to meander up to see the kids/family for a month or so

then we meander around for another month or so then head home to AZ. by the end of summer

when it cools off in AZ.

Then we invite everyone down over the holidays when its cold in the midwest

Archived