7/14 Trigger Farm class

Pep

Poor John, that access road is a constant pain for him and a source of good stories for us.

Talked to John the other day and your name came up. Don't worry it was all good and you even got compliments. I'm doing the September 29th class with my buddy and I did make the comment that I wasn't riding the bike again because of the road. He did get a chuckle out of that.

If anybody else is going to attend, I will be in the morning class. Look me up, it's always nice to meet IC members.

Just did the Basic class with 7 friends and we all had a great time. They where ez going, explained very well and let you shoot your gun. I would bring 5 to 6 mags @ 15rds each. This way your loaded and ready to go. They give you plenty of time to load up. The only issue is, if they see you with 4 mags loaded on your belt, they will make you use them.... lol.... Especially in the sidestep constant moving course. Did 85 rounds during that course. Definitely give them a try,you will be really glad you did. Have a friend or family record your shooting, this way you can see what your doing right and wrong. They do have a canopy setup with picnic tables, so no need to bring that stuff. The drive isn't bad, all paved roads except the gravel road into the farm. Shooting outside is always a fun thing and a must. Thanks again guys. Probably see you next month.

Just did the Basic class with 7 friends and we all had a great time. They where ez going, explained very well and let you shoot your gun. I would bring 5 to 6 mags @ 15rds each. This way your loaded and ready to go. They give you plenty of time to load up. The only issue is, if they see you with 4 mags loaded on your belt, they will make you use them.... lol.... Especially in the sidestep constant moving course. Did 85 rounds during that course. Definitely give them a try,you will be really glad you did. Have a friend or family record your shooting, this way you can see what your doing right and wrong. They do have a canopy setup with picnic tables, so no need to bring that stuff. The drive isn't bad, all paved roads except the gravel road into the farm. Shooting outside is always a fun thing and a must. Thanks again guys. Probably see you next month.

It's amazing how physically demanding that little side-step drill is. By the time I'm doing it for 50-60 seconds, I'm feeling it.

Just took the Basic class. Second class with Trigger Farm (did ccw with them in July). John and John are really nice guys with great rapport and humor but take what they do very seriously. As a newer shooter I felt comfortable and safe. Indoor range is 10 minutes away but I have no problem making the hour drive to go to Trigger Farm. I took 6 10 round mags and that was fine. Plenty of time to reload between exercises. I think my total round count was right around 400. Highly recommend these guys.

• 2 months later...

Anyone going to the Nov. 10 morning class? I will be there. New guy here. Just moved from FL. Going to start going at least once a month.

I'm not going to that one, but I did just renew my FCCL training cert with them mid-october. I'd suggest getting some pocket hand warmers to keep your hands from getting all cold crampy. Bring a good coat, a hat that keeps your ears warm and works with your ear pro, and a magazine loader like a lula. Loading mags with cold hands SUCKS. You'll go through 400 rounds pretty easily. If you have lots of magazines, pre-load at home where it's warm.and save your fingers.

Biggest problem I had on a 40 degree morning in October was keeping my grip tight. Granted I have issues with hand strength anyway, but in my experience nobody is immune from the cold. I watched everybody's groups start out "decent" and open up from there after 30 minutes in the cold.

You'll have a great time though. Good people out there and a really nice private range.

• 2 weeks later...

Great time , small class. The John 'S were very instructive & safety orientated. Had a blast ( literally ) running a project gun.

Factory gen3 complete upper. Bought a few stripped 19frames , Grip work done to them , OEM glock lower parts from lonewolfdist. I had 2 maybe 3 FTF , ruining wolf & tula so I could be the ammo.

Very happy with how it ( G19 ) performed & really glad we went , hot coffee was a plus. ( thanks crew ) Be back in the spring.....

Pep

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I took the basic course in December and it was in the upper teens, low twenties. Their were only five of us so we shot a lot more than 300 rounds. I went through 450 rounds of ball and at the end of the day I shot some defensive ammo that needed to be cycled through.

Definitely bring as many mags as you can and as others have said, get an Uplula loader. Your fingers and hands will thank you. They supply water, coffee (weather dependent) and handi-wipes. They have a porta-john there too.

They really don't want you picking up brass so I bought 450 rounds of the Winchester steel case stuff for this class. I also have a couple of Winchester 200 packs of brass case ball to bring along just in case.

I am going back at the end of the month to take the basic class again. My weekends are pretty full through the summer and fall so I may wait until next spring to take their advanced course.

I took the basic course in December and it was in the upper teens, low twenties. Their were only five of us so we shot a lot more than 300 rounds. I went through 450 rounds of ball and at the end of the day I shot some defensive ammo that needed to be cycled through.

Definitely bring as many mags as you can and as others have said, get an Uplula loader. Your fingers and hands will thank you. They supply water, coffee (weather dependent) and handi-wipes. They have a porta-john there too.

They really don't want you picking up brass so I bought 450 rounds of the Winchester steel case stuff for this class. I also have a couple of Winchester 200 packs of brass case ball to bring along just in case.

I am going back at the end of the month to take the basic class again. My weekends are pretty full through the summer and fall so I may wait until next spring to take their advanced course.

I always carry a few packaged hand-warmers in my gun bag, just in case it's a little cold out. If needed I put them in my pocket and hold them between shoots. Aside from their basic class, their advanced class is terrific. Close quarters shooting, sitting, off-hand, working from a vehicle... awesome stuff. Very tiring too :) :) If you can, make time for it. It was worth it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

hopefully sept class is not as hot as in the past. we were taking some suggestions on putting together a low light or no light class at triggerfarm. we also have talked about a pistol caliber carbine but that was just spitballing...

thanks for all the support and the great group of folks that come out. we hope we see you guys again and bring your friends, spouses, and family members. we can work at their level to get them out and comfortable with handling a pistol owb or iwb.

thanks and see you guys out at the farm soon!!

Louis-

hopefully sept class is not as hot as in the past. we were taking some suggestions on putting together a low light or no light class at triggerfarm. we also have talked about a pistol caliber carbine but that was just spitballing...

thanks for all the support and the great group of folks that come out. we hope we see you guys again and bring your friends, spouses, and family members. we can work at their level to get them out and comfortable with handling a pistol owb or iwb.

thanks and see you guys out at the farm soon!!

Louis-

Had fun as usual this past Saturday morning. The rain just made things more "interesting". Well done Louis. A low,light class could be a lot of fun *and* educational. Get's my vote!

• 6 months later...

I really wish I could figure out how to put a photo on here,

anyway just wanted to let folks know the triggerfarm website is updated with dates for Basic Defensive Pistol classes. Still working on dates for IL 16 CC Classes and renewals as well as dates for Advanced Defensive Pistol and possibly a few pistol caliber carbine classes. John

post-13116-0-85187000-1583780261_thumb.png

The instructors are there rain or shine wearing shirts with this fancy logo. From experience with both the level one pistol class and the Illinois concealed carry renewal class, words can't tell you what a great time I have out here. Sign up early, sign up often, and get some real practice with your carry gun.

Archived