Possible Vote on HB562

mauserme

Please forgive me here. I have a couple questions. I have a gun shop that I hang around. So far as doing transfer of used guns he said he's not going to do it. He said he said he pulls in inventory of new guns where he can get it and when he gets it in it's gone as after he's log's it in. He said he had no time for it. Now I tried to read the bill speak or whatever you call it. Now their doing a deeper checking of hospital and DPH records. The 90s we're bad times for me but never got any in trouble. Got fix myself fixed up and went on. So when my foid is up for renewal and when they run my medical do I lose my foid? I seen people who come on here with 20 and more years ago that they were in a hospital begging for help. I have no idea what they were put in the put in the hospital for. Please be kind to me I'm putting some pretty personal stuff out here for the very first time and I don't don't know how people how members will react. But I'm much be better now.

Please forgive me here. I have a couple questions. ... Please be kind to me I'm putting some pretty personal stuff out here for the very first time and I don't don't know how people how members will react. But I'm much be better now.

HB562 got held for reconsideration, which means the house reconciliation vote is treated like it didn't happen. It, or something like it, may pass in the fall session. The easiest way would be to withdraw the hold.

There continues to be a lot of noise and misinformation about what passed and what didn't from adherents on both side of the issue. The only thing that got sent to the governor to be enacted is the red flag expansion.

Please forgive me here. I have a couple questions. ... Please be kind to me I'm putting some pretty personal stuff out here for the very first time and I don't don't know how people how members will react. But I'm much be better now.

HB562 got held for reconsideration, which means the house reconciliation vote is treated like it didn't happen. It, or something like it, may pass in the fall session. The easiest way would be to withdraw the hold.

There continues to be a lot of noise and misinformation about what passed and what didn't from adherents on both side of the issue. The only thing that got sent to the governor to be enacted is the red flag expansion.

My bet is it's going to the governor but they are spacing out the bills because they are expecting a summer of carnage and want the governor to be able to sign bills throughout to show he is doing something.

Does anything change for the good is relationship to dealing with the FOID system?

"The Good" (beginning January 2022):

• If a FOID expires during the valid period of a CCL, the FOID remains valid until the CCL expires.
  • The ISP may optionally renew an expired FOID automatically within the CCL validity period.
  • A FOID is automatically renewed for 10 years when the CCL is renewed.
  • If a FOID is suspended (instead of revoked) for less than one year due to a protective order, it is to be reinstated automatically when the protective order expires (instead of requiring a new application).
We need only to trust in the system to work and not to need poking and prodding for us to receive the bounty.

BTW, there doesn't appear to be any mention of a cost for the "automatic" FOID renewals, so presumably they are "free" (or at least, "free" with the renewal cost of the CCL).

"The Maybe" (for which there are no deadlines specified):

• ISP is directed to develop an electronic FOID and CCL for mobile phones and other devices.
  • ISP is directed to develop a system that allows FOID and CCL holders to receive email or text messages instead of paper mail notices.
  • ISP is directed to combine FOID and CCL cards into a single card.
Some call it "good." Some don't.

"The Ugly":

I don't have enough time, attention, or electrons to list it all.

Does anything change for the good is relationship to dealing with the FOID system?

• If a FOID expires during the valid period of a CCL, the FOID remains valid until the CCL expires.
  • The ISP may optionally renew an expired FOID automatically within the CCL validity period.
  • If a FOID is suspended (instead of revoked) for less than one year due to a protective order, it is to be reinstated automatically when the protective order expires (instead of requiring a new application).
We need only to trust in the system to work and not to need poking and prodding for us to receive the bounty.

BTW, there doesn't appear to be any mention of a cost for the "automatic" FOID renewals, so presumably they are "free" (or at least, "free" with the renewal cost of the CCL).

• ISP is directed to develop an electronic FOID and CCL for mobile phones and other devices.
  • ISP is directed to develop a system that allows FOID and CCL holders to receive email or text messages instead of paper mail notices.

"The Ugly":

Does it have a provision to automatically send you a new FOID card when it expires during the time while your CCL is valid? Or is it like now, with the covid rules, that your FOID card is valid until 18 months after the end of the "emergency", which many gun shops and retailers will NOT honor?

"The Ugly":

Does it have a provision to automatically send you a new FOID card when it expires during the time while your CCL is valid? Or is it like now, with the covid rules, that your FOID card is valid until 18 months after the end of the "emergency", which many gun shops and retailers will NOT honor?

If the ISP renews your FOID, you'd get a new FOID, the same as if you renewed your own FOID. It's not in the bill, because even now you get a new FOID when you get a new FOID.

As I noted above, the bill does nothing to fix what's broken in a broken system. You just have to hope it suddenly starts working.

"The Ugly":

Why not just use your CCL as your FOID during that time? I have been using my CCL as my FOID since I got it. I only use my FOID for online verification.

Because most places ask to see the FOID also. Or if you order online, they want an uploaded copy of the FOID card along with a drivers license. Sounds silly, but most places in Illinois don't know the law, or won't honor just a CCL.

Never had a problem in the places I have been to in Lake and McHenry counties. Even the dreaded Bass Pro in Gurnee that supposedly is super strict on everything took my CCL.

I'm more curious how the new electronic FOID will work with online purchases. Would you just send them a screenshot from your phone? Seems like the ISP would disable screenshots so you have to check validity every time.

Because most places ask to see the FOID also. Or if you order online, they want an uploaded copy of the FOID card along with a drivers license. Sounds silly, but most places in Illinois don't know the law, or won't honor just a CCL.

Never had a problem in the places I have been to in Lake and McHenry counties. Even the dreaded Bass Pro in Gurnee that supposedly is super strict on everything took my CCL.

I'm more curious how the new electronic FOID will work with online purchases. Would you just send them a screenshot from your phone? Seems like the ISP would disable screenshots so you have to check validity every time.

I cannot imagine how ISP could disable screen shots on a portable device such as a pocket phone…

I cannot imagine how ISP could disable screen shots on a portable device such as a pocket phone
You capture the button presses with your app and handle them before they go to the Os. I've seen a few apps do it over the years.

Edit: it's easier than that: https://medium.com/nomtek/screenshot-preventing-on-mobile-apps-9e62f51643e9

You capture the button presses with your app and handle them before they go to the Os. I've seen a few apps do it over the years.

Edit: it's easier than that: https://medium.com/nomtek/screenshot-preventing-on-mobile-apps-9e62f51643e9

With some clever design you don't even have to go that far. For example for e-tickets Metra uses a moving background that changes color when you tap it. That way if you try to show the conductor a screenshot or even a gif/movie you won't fool them

I cannot imagine how ISP could disable screen shots on a portable device such as a pocket phone…

Chase Bank does it. When you're on the app, you can't screenshot your acct.

Archived