SCOTUS Accepts!

dorvinion

I do not claim to know all the details or nuances of the cases dealing with prisoners of war held at GITMO. However, the decision of the SCOTUS on these cases is disturbing to me. IIUC, now, POWs, captured in battle, will have all the same rights as a US citizen. Am I missing something here??

Gives me cause for concern re: the Heller case. The GITMO ruling strikes me as a very liberal stance.

Not as sure as I once was.

AB

I see it differently. It warms my libertarian heart to see a ruling that affirms rights over governmental power, and slaps The Decider's executive powers-abusing a** around some.

Rights trumping governmental power--if the same thing happens with Heller, we're golden.

I'm inclined to agree, the theory used to be that only US Citizens have rights, but we must remember that our constitution is here to protect rights, not establish them. As odd as it might sound, all humans are entitled to the same rights, enemy or not.

[/color]

Whose theory?... an attitude by some individuals, maybe, but not a theory!

Here is a comment (to the blog of one of the Heller amici) by a man who not only deeply understands the issues and the history, but a man whom I respect and value his opinion a great deal.

The Supreme Court will deep six Washington DC's gun control laws, probably by a 7-0 or even a unanimous decision. Mr. Helmke and the Brady Campaign will fight on for more gun control, and they will probably be funded by the Joyce Foundation to do so.

Gun control advocates will view themselves as modern day abolitionists fighting the good fight against what they consider an abomination in the Constitution. The only problem for the gun control advocates is that those fighting for the abolition of slavery actually had a good cause. Mr. Helmke does not.

Posted by: David E. Young at June 12, 2008 09:37 PM

I understand Monday June 16th 9 a.m. our time is the next scheduled day for rulings to be released. Will someone please alert me so I won't miss it?

Why Molly, you got a couple of other things going on that might make you forget about it??? I'll try to remind you if I remember myself!!!

AB

Just a reminder guys, Heller ruling may come out today. If it goes as we expect it will be a very interesting day around here.

The decision could come Thursday because they will release more rulings then, but like I said before, it will most likely come on the 23rd. But I will be watching Thursday morning, same SCOTUS place, same SCOTUS time...

Is it posted someplace that more decisions will be released on Thurs, the 19th??

AB

The decision could come Thursday because they will release more rulings then, but like I said before, it will most likely come on the 23rd. But I will be watching Thursday morning, same SCOTUS place, same SCOTUS time...

Is it posted someplace that more decisions will be released on Thurs, the 19th??

AB

Never mind, I found it in SCOTUSBLOG. They are expected to release more opinions on Thurs, 19 June.

45, someplace in the blog I found that the 23 is "expected" to be the last day of the spring session. I suppose they can do whatever they want, but I'd be surpirsed if they go past that.

So, Thurs, 9:00 a.m. CDST is the next get together!!!

AB

June 19th, 23rd, or 30th, all of these are working days. Is anyone willing to notify the day shift of the SCOUTS decision? Is anyone willing to collect the cell phone numbers and send us the text message of the outcome? I, for one, don't want to wait hours, while others either celebrate or (god forbid) yelling angrly at top of their lungs.

Just a suggestion..

Archived