Possible Vote on HB562

mauserme

https://news.wttw.com/2021/06/14/cps-elected-school-board-foid-bill-set-votes

CPS Elected School Board, FOID Bill Set for Votes

Amanda Vinicky | June 14, 2021 9:13 pm

In the years since a man who should not have been able to legally have a gun in Illinois fatally shot five people at a manufacturing plant in Aurora in early 2019, state legislators have failed to reach a consensus on legislation to help prevent similar incidents.

That may change come Wednesday, when the Illinois House is set to debate legislation (House Bill 562) that would establish a structure for law enforcement to remove guns from people whose Firearm Owners Identification (FOID) cards have been revoked.
State Rep. Jay Hoffman, D-Swansea, said he plans to call the measure for a vote when the House returns for what’s scheduled to be a one-day special session.
Hoffman said it’s the first time in memory that a gun measure has the blessing of principal gun-control groups like the Gun Violence Prevention Action Committee and the Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence, even as the Illinois State Rifle Association, a gun rights group, is neutral.
“There’s over 100 lawsuits about issues around FOID, and with the backlog as it exists, maybe one of these lawsuits will be successful,” Hoffman said. “If we don’t fix it then some of these lawsuits would be ripe for success, and getting rid of the FOID system would be awful in my mind.”
Illinois State Riffle Association President Richard Pearson confirmed the organization will not fight the bill.

Illinois State Riffle Association President Richard Pearson confirmed the organization will not fight the bill.

He said the ISRA is taking a neutral stance because the measure does both good and bad things for gun owners, like speeding up FOID card processing and mandating background checks for person-to-person sales.

I wonder what words the IC filter will let me get away with.... Probably not the ones I'm contemplating.

In the years since a man who should not have been able to legally have a gun in Illinois fatally shot five people at a manufacturing plant in Aurora in early 2019, state legislators have failed to reach a consensus on legislation to help prevent similar incidents.

That may change come Wednesday, when the Illinois House is set to debate legislation (House Bill 562) that would establish a structure for law enforcement to remove guns from people whose Firearm Owners Identification (FOID) cards have been revoked.

State Rep. Jay Hoffman, D-Swansea, said he plans to call the measure for a vote when the House returns for what’s scheduled to be a one-day special session.

Hoffman said it’s the first time in memory that a gun measure has the blessing of principal gun-control groups like the Gun Violence Prevention Action Committee and the Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence, even as the Illinois State Rifle Association, a gun rights group, is neutral.

“There’s over 100 lawsuits about issues around FOID, and with the backlog as it exists, maybe one of these lawsuits will be successful,” Hoffman said. “If we don’t fix it then some of these lawsuits would be ripe for success, and getting rid of the FOID system would be awful in my mind.”

.......“There’s over 100 lawsuits about issues around FOID, and with the backlog as it exists, maybe one of these lawsuits will be successful,” Hoffman said. “If we don’t fix it then some of these lawsuits would be ripe for success, and getting rid of the FOID system would be awful in my mind.” (Emphasis mine.)

"Illinois State Riffle Association President Richard Pearson confirmed the organization will not fight the bill." (Emphasis mine.)

Read Rep. Hoffman's stated purpose, then consider the gun rights group's position. Mr. Hoffman thinks it would be terrible to get rid of a system that requires an American citizen to pay a fee to exercise a Constitutionally protected right, and the ISRA is neutral about that.

He said the ISRA is taking a neutral stance because the measure does both good and bad things for gun owners, like speeding up FOID card processing and mandating background checks for person-to-person sales.

I wonder what words the IC filter will let me get away with.... Probably not the ones I'm contemplating.

This is ILL-LIE-ANNOY. Anything that is promised to be "good" for gun owners will be DOA. You can't compromise with scoundrels.

.......“There’s over 100 lawsuits about issues around FOID, and with the backlog as it exists, maybe one of these lawsuits will be successful,” Hoffman said. “If we don’t fix it then some of these lawsuits would be ripe for success, and getting rid of the FOID system would be awful in my mind.” (Emphasis mine.)

Illinois State Riffle Association President Richard Pearson confirmed the organization will not fight the bill. (Emphasis mine.)

Read Rep. Hoffman's stated purpose, then consider the gun rights group's position. Mr. Hoffman thinks it would be terrible to get rid of a system that requires an American citizen to pay a fee to exercise a Constitutionally protected right, and the ISRA is neutral about that.

They are sabotaging their own lawsuit.

Hoffman said it's the first time in memory that a gun measure has the blessing of principal gun-control groups like the Gun Violence Prevention Action Committee and the Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence, even as the Illinois State Rifle Association, a gun rights group, is neutral.

It may be the first time in memory that the ISRA was neutral, but I doubt it is the first time in anyone's memory that the Gun Violence Prevention Action Committee and the Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence have supported gun control legislation.

Illinois State Riffle Association President Richard Pearson confirmed the organization will not fight the bill. (Emphasis mine.)

They are sabotaging their own lawsuit.

And one has to think not unintentionally.

My ISRA membership is due in the fall.

Now that Im eligible, I probably will upgrade to the Senior Lifetime Membership. Its probably not the time to abandon friends, loyalties. Nor is it time to divide Illinois gun owners.

Maybe the ISRA should have thought of that before taking the position they did.

So, what happens if HB0562 passes today and no FFL wishes to participate in the whole idiotic sensible and safe transfer process? Is that grounds for a legal challenge, or are we then just stuck conducting all transfers through traditional FFL methods?

As I posted in the other thread, the solution to this from gun control groups will be to mandate FFLs accept this paperwork. And theyll be able to do so, theyll say, through the authority the State now has to license dealers.

Archived