Concealed carry holder opens fire in Avondale

Euler

CWBChicago

A concealed carry holder opened fire on a man who approached him "in an aggressive manner" Wednesday evening in Avondale, police said. But the other man, who was not struck by any bullets, never displayed a gun.

CPD spokesperson Kellie Bartoli said a 37-year-old man was in an alley on the 2900 block of West Belmont around 5:20 p.m. when the other man walked up while reaching into his pockets. The first man, who is licensed to carry a concealed handgun, fired several rounds because he thought the stranger had a gun, she said.

Initial information from the scene indicated that the concealed carry holder thought the other man was trying to take a catalytic converter from a vehicle, but police did not confirm that any theft was attempted.

The stranger ran eastbound, got into a white Ford F-150 truck, and sped away.

Bartoli said the concealed carry holder was not injured.

Area Five detectives are investigating.

So did the CCL-holder think the other man was going to try to steal his catalytic converter at gunpoint? I'm not sure that story makes sense. Unless there's something else going on (which is entirely possible), it seems to me that he opened fire in condition orange.

Fox just put felony charges on a off duty cpd who shot a unarmed man in the hand he "thought" was car jacking him.you better know the offender is armed in cook county before you draw or you will need every bit of that cch insurance.

...and better make sure your story lines up with the video evidence now that cameras are everywhere.

Lots of info missing, someone approaches in a rushed manner then reaches in a pocket, sure seems threatening. What was said? Missing info.

A concealed carry holder opened fire on a man who approached him “in an aggressive manner

”But the other man, who was not struck by any bullets, never displayed a gun.

the other man walked up while reaching into his pockets. The first man, who is licensed to carry a concealed handgun, fired several rounds because he thought the stranger had a gun

At what distance did the shooting begin? Someone closing in on you happens quickly. 21 feet rule.. Equally important, how the heck did he miss?
I watched a video once, of a full blown shootout between a store owner and an armed robber. They were just a few feet apart and neither one was hit...

Seems that taking the time to actually aim the firearm is an important step :-)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

At what distance did the shooting begin? Someone closing in on you happens quickly. 21 feet rule.. Equally important, how the heck did he miss?

I watched a video once, of a full blown shootout between a store owner and an armed robber. They were just a few feet apart and neither one was hit...

As you indicate, aiming is important. If you are trying to duck behind or below something to avoid the other shooter's bullets, you aren't looking and aiming. And chances are that, while dodging the store owner's return fire, the perp isn't likely to be aiming either.

As you indicate, aiming is important. If you are trying to duck behind or below something to avoid the other shooter's bullets, you aren't looking and aiming. And chances are that, while dodging the store owner's return fire, the perp isn't likely to be aiming either.

As expensive as ammo is, aiming should be very important.

Archived