FOID AND CCL

409gary

For purposes of transferring a firearm, can the buyer present his CCL instead of his FOID card to the FFL?

The ISP background check asks for the FOID #. I realize that the newly issued FOID and CCL card numbers

are the same if a new FOID was issued, but without looking at the FOID card how do you really know?

I am not sure why people would present a CCL when asked for their FOID. Am I missing something?

Your FOID number is the same and your CCL number and its been that way since the CCLs were first issued. At least in my case anyways and I have one of the first CCLs that was issued.

So I'm assuming its the same in all cases. Seeing as how your FOID and CCL are supposed to be interchangeable these days I can see why people would think that way.

Not sure what's actually proper when buying a gun though.

Your FOID number is the same and your CCL number and its been that way since the CCLs were first issued. At least in my case anyways and I have one of the first CCLs that was issued.

So I'm assuming its the same in all cases. Seeing as how your FOID and CCL are supposed to be interchangeable these days I can see why people would think that way.

That is not correct...my FOID card has an 8 digit number and my CCL has a 10 digit number. It is part of the input screen on the dealer portal

that asks for the FOID card. It does not say FOID or CCL.

No need to assume. In 2015, the law was changed to expressly state that FOID or CCL can be used for transfers.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

No need to assume. In 2015, the law was changed to expressly state that FOID or CCL can be used for transfers.

This makes only makes sense. Where can I find the changed law? I would like to read it.

This makes only makes sense. Where can I find the changed law? I would like to read it.

430 ILCS 65/3.

I am not sure why people would present a CCL when asked for their FOID. Am I missing something?

Because they can use their CCL. Some people want to carry one card, rather than two. You aren't missing anything. There are still some places that don't know it's legal to use the CCL, and (from elsewhere in this thread) at least one FFL who prefers a CCL for a reason I fail to understand.

DomG, on 23 Oct 2017 - 4:45 PM, said:snapback.png

My FFL friend wants my CCL for purchases.

One reason is that a lot of folks only carry their FCCL. That way if it is lost, they still have their FOID to legally possess firearms.

This.

Plus from reports, replacement time of a CCL is a few days, while replacement time for a lost/stolen FOID is 30+ days. If you have to replace both, they won't send the new CCL until the new FOID is delivered. So leaving the FOID safe in the safe seems like a good idea.

And if you don't have CCL?

Then you use your FOID. As has been the law for about 50 years. If you have a CCL, he wants that.

How would he know if you have a CCL and why, under such circumstances, would anyone offer that they did?

Doesn't make sense other than being a silly arbitrary choice...

Some "people" might suspect he's compiling a list...

One reason is that a lot of folks only carry their FCCL. That way if it is lost, they still have their FOID to legally possess firearms.

This.

Plus from reports, replacement time of a CCL is a few days, while replacement time for a lost/stolen FOID is 30+ days. If you have to replace both, they won't send the new CCL until the new FOID is delivered. So leaving the FOID safe in the safe seems like a good idea.

In January this year I was forced to replace both of my cards at the same time.

FOID: 49 days plus 7 for delivery

CCL: 64 days plus 7 for delivery

Hopefully that problem has been corrected.

Short answer, yes.. you can use your CCL. I still have an old FOID card, as I got my CCL in the first batch... So my FOID and CCL numbers do not match. That being said, both return as valid numbers when using the online person to person transfer thingie.

I'm also one of those that have different numbers, but both show valid when you run them. That is what we get for being early adopters.

Short answer, yes.. you can use your CCL. I still have an old FOID card, as I got my CCL in the first batch... So my FOID and CCL numbers do not match. That being said, both return as valid numbers when using the online person to person transfer thingie.

I'm also one of those that have different numbers, but both show valid when you run them. That is what we get for being early adopters.

Those early ones have the CCL number being the same as the FOID number but with the issue year as a prefix... so 13(FOID#) or 14(FOID#).

And if you don't have CCL?

Then you use your FOID. As has been the law for about 50 years. If you have a CCL, he wants that.

How would he know if you have a CCL and why, under such circumstances, would anyone offer that they did?

Doesn't make sense other than being a silly arbitrary choice...

Some "people" might suspect he's compiling a list...

"My FFL friend". I've known him for almost 30 years. We took the CCL class together and I've purchased CCW from him previously. that's how he knows.

I'm in the same boat. CCL should work, but some retailers / sellers may have stricter policies. IMO if going to purchase a firearm, I'll bring along both cards just in case. My CCW has a "14" in front of my FOID #.

They really need to just combine the 2 cards, drop the FOID back to 5 years and add a CCL designation to the FOID card.

As it is now, my FOID is good until 2020 (old number, doesn't match my CCL), and my CCL expires in 2019.

So in 2019 when I renew my CCL, I assume the number prefix will be 19, whereas it's 14 now, and they'll issue me a new FOID with a matching number.

But what about in 2020 when I renew my FOID? Will it stay a 19 prefix to match my CCL, or will they then issue me a new CCL that matches the FOID?

Then in 2024, another renewed CCL and replacement FOID so they match again... etc.

Or will my CCL always have the 14 prefix to reflect the initial issue year?

They really need to just combine the 2 cards, drop the FOID back to 5 years and add a CCL designation to the FOID card. As it is now, my FOID is good until 2020 (old number, doesn't match my CCL), and my CCL expires in 2019. So in 2019 when I renew my CCL, I assume the number prefix will be 19, whereas it's 14 now, and they'll issue me a new FOID with a matching number. But what about in 2020 when I renew my FOID? Will it stay a 19 prefix to match my CCL, or will they then issue me a new CCL that matches the FOID? Then in 2024, another renewed CCL and replacement FOID so they match again... etc. Or will my CCL always have the 14 prefix to reflect the initial issue year?

So many questions that won't be answered until 2019...

I had to get a replacement FOID and CCL.

My new FOID now matches my CCL and begins with 14.

Expiration dates are in 2027 and 2019.

I prefer to have two cards and have the ability to keep one secret.

Archived