Flick v Garland - Non-violent felon lifetime 2A ban

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Euler

• Members
  • 3,505 posts

Posted 27 March 2021 - 11:29 PM

Docket

In 1987, Ken Flick was convicted of criminal copyright violation and smuggling for importing counterfeit cassette tapes. Flick served a four-and-a-half month sentence in a halfway house, successfully completed community service and probation, and made restitution to the Recording Industry Association of America.

Flick has no other criminal record. A notable inventor, Flick is a peaceful, law-abiding citizen active in philanthropic, religious and civic affairs. Yet on account of his counterfeit cassette tape convictions, 18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(1) permanently bars Flick's possession of firearms.

The petition is set for conference on April 16.

Edited by Euler, 27 March 2021 - 11:33 PM.

The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants, and it provides the further advantage of giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience.

- Albert Camus, Resistance, Rebellion, and Death, 1960.

#2 bigdudez25

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 07:50 AM

Good luck to him. And we need to, as a whole, push for an expanded federal criminal records expungement program to avoid these kinds of situations. 

#3 noreaster

• 11 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 08:48 AM

I feel for the dude yet if we take away consequences then what are the deterrents?

#4 SiliconSorcerer

• Supporting Members Team
  • 3,120 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 09:31 AM

I feel for the dude yet if we take away consequences then what are the deterrents?

There was consequences, denying someone's constitutional rights after just isn't right. 

You give peace a chance; I'll cover you if it doesn't work out.

Remington Historical Foundation - 501©3 - donate to me ;) 

NRA Benefactor Member

Gun Owners of America

Remington Society of America Life Member

Ruger Collectors Association Life Member

Texas Gun Collector Honorary Member

Colt Collectors Association Honorary Member

Ruger Society Honorary Member

etc etc etc

#5 defaultdotxbe

• Members
  • 5,752 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 09:55 AM

While I agree with others here on the nature of the problem, I differ on the remedy. I have no issue in principle with felons suffering lifelong denial of rights, but if we go that route then way too many crimes are considered felonies now.

Remember felony used to almost exclusively refer to crimes punishable by death, now its anything punishable by a year in prison. When the alternative was execution a lifelong probation was a welcome clemency

"The cheek of every American must tingle with shame as he reads the silly,
flat, and dishwatery utterances of the man who has to be pointed out to
intelligent foreigners as the President of the United States."
-Chicago Times review of Lincoln's Gettysburg Address.

#6 GTX63

• Members
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 10:17 AM

4 1/2 months in a halfway house and the loss of the right to own a firearm, for bootleg cassette tapes and murderers walking around on bond and still packing...

#7 press1280

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 01:00 PM

The law isn't tailored toward the goal which is guns out of the hands of people who are a danger to themselves and others. VCR tape counterfeiting isn't a physical danger to anyone.

#8 Euler

• Members
  • 3,505 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 01:35 PM

... VCR tape counterfeiting isn't a physical danger to anyone.

They were audio tapes. Long ago, sound was recorded on a physical medium. Imagine if everyone who ever shared something on Napster had their civil liberties suspended for life. The new millennium is a technological utopia compared to the feudal inquisitions of the 1980s.
The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants, and it provides the further advantage of giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience.

- Albert Camus, Resistance, Rebellion, and Death, 1960.

#9 SiliconSorcerer

• Supporting Members Team
  • 3,120 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 10:25 AM

While I agree with others here on the nature of the problem, I differ on the remedy. I have no issue in principle with felons suffering lifelong denial of rights, but if we go that route then way too many crimes are considered felonies now.

Remember felony used to almost exclusively refer to crimes punishable by death, now its anything punishable by a year in prison. When the alternative was execution a lifelong probation was a welcome clemency

A 17 year old that has sex with his 16 year old girlfriend should have his constitutional right to protect his now wife and family for the rest of his life, I simply do not agree.   (AND be registered, that's BS) 

Edited by SiliconSorcerer, 08 April 2021 - 10:25 AM.

You give peace a chance; I'll cover you if it doesn't work out.

Remington Historical Foundation - 501©3 - donate to me ;) 

NRA Benefactor Member

Gun Owners of America

Remington Society of America Life Member

Ruger Collectors Association Life Member

Texas Gun Collector Honorary Member

Colt Collectors Association Honorary Member

Ruger Society Honorary Member

etc etc etc

#10 defaultdotxbe

• Members
  • 5,752 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 12:06 PM

A 17 year old that has sex with his 16 year old girlfriend should have his constitutional right to protect his now wife and family for the rest of his life, I simply do not agree.   (AND be registered, that's BS) 

That's one of those (many) felonies that shouldn't be a felony. And registries are a completely set of BS

"The cheek of every American must tingle with shame as he reads the silly,
flat, and dishwatery utterances of the man who has to be pointed out to
intelligent foreigners as the President of the United States."
-Chicago Times review of Lincoln's Gettysburg Address.

#11 Flynn

• Members
  • 4,708 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 05:49 PM

There is a plethora of crimes that should not be felonies that are and they will deprive people of rights forever, the system is entirely broken in that regard!

Denial of rights without restoration after time served should be reserved for only a small set of crimes and one could argue that if one committed those crimes they should not be allowed to walk the streets a free person ever again anyway!

Anonymous leakers, leak anonymously about the anonymous leak.

—Anonymous

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users