Gun control advocates target state legislators

Blaster

Link to Article

Postcards with a picture of a handgun and children as targets started appearing in mailboxes and on windshields in a few central Lake County towns this week.

The postcards, distributed by representatives of the Brady Campaign, a national gun control advocacy group, criticize Republican state Rep. Sandy Cole of Grayslake for voting against legislation that would require background checks on all handgun sales.

"She is against universal background checks," said Jennifer Bishop, Illinois Million Mom March national program director for victims and survivors while handing out leaflets Thursday outside Cole's Grayslake office. "This bill is an extra layer of protection."

The bill was defeated in the Illinois House in April.

Cole's office released a statement earlier calling the mailers misleading.

"All Illinois residents who buy or possess firearms, including handguns, are required by law to have a valid (Firearm Owners Identification) card. FOID cards are issued by the Illinois State Police after they conduct a background check of the applicant (a 30-day process)," the statement read.

Cole said in her statement, "under current Illinois law, all private sales of firearms must include an examination of the purchaser's FOID card. The FOID card system and other controls on private gun sales work well here in Illinois."

Bishop says the FOID cards are not foolproof and that last year Illinois State Police reported that 1,000 people with valid FOID cards failed background checks at gun stores.

"With the FOID card you only undergo a background check every 10 years," she said. "It doesn't check everything."

Cole's 62nd Representative District includes all or portions of Gurnee, Grayslake, Hainesville, Lake Villa, Lindenhurst, Old Mill Creek, the Round Lake communities, Third Lake and unincorporated areas in northern Lake County.

The group is targeting a similar postcard campaign at state Rep. Dennis Reboletti of Elmhurst, who also voted against the legislation.

They're hanging themselves with this kind of approach.

Similar to the environmental group that burns down houses under construction to protest cutting trees for lumber.

The public knows these people are extreme and radical - and hypocrites, becasue thay have no solution. They just hammer the same message over and over, as if it will somehow cause criminals to stop and become compassionate overnight.

The more desperate they get, the more extreme they become, the more the public starts to write them off as nut cases.

Made calls to Rep. Cole and Rep. Reboletti thanking them for supporting the Rights of Law abiding citizens. Rep. Cole 217.782.7320

They both have the same secretary so 1 call with get both.

PEOPLE. It is imperative that we call Reps Cole and Reboletti, in order to thank them for voting NO, to give them our sympathies for being targeted by Brady lies, and to re-affirm that the Reps were correct....additional background checks are redundant and wasteful, given the BG checks required for FOID cards.

I just called the Rep's office to say "Please tell Rep's Cole and Reboletti they have our thanks for issing the proper vote on this bill", and from what the nice lady said, they've had a rough couple days there. Apparently the anti's have been ginning up some real PSH from the GFW's and directing it towards Rep Cole and Reboletti's office.

I just called the Rep's office to say "Please tell Rep's Cole and Reboletti they have our thanks for issing the proper vote on this bill", and from what the nice lady said, they've had a rough couple days there. Apparently the anti's have been ginning up some real PSH from the GFW's and directing it towards Rep Cole and Reboletti's office.

...and using EXACTLY the wrong appraoach! Ranting on legislative representatives gets you nowhere and only makes them lose interest in your points and shut down.

Be polite, calm and ADULT when speaking with them - they're not all loons!

Just hung up from conversation with Sandy Cole's office. The office mgr said calls have been running probably 5-1, favor our side! She said she was appalled by the mailer when she saw it, and even her daughter commented on it when the daughter brought it in from the mail box!

She was pleased to hear from a caller from "...way down there." I replied that it was important that Rep Cole know she had the thanks and respect of supporters of the 2nd Amendment from all over the state.

Reboletti's office said pretty much the same thing.

I believe the Brady bunch just shot themselves in a worse place than the foot!! :drool:

Just called and spoke to the nice receptionist - told her to make sure the Representatives knew I supported them and to thank them for representing the people of Illinois.

She said they will appreciate all the support - even from those who do not reside in their districts.

By the way, I made my calls to their Springfield offices, but with them being out of session until Tuesday, I think I'll call their district offices, as well.

Just called the Springfield office as well as both district offices. The lady at the S-field office said most callers were anti 758, pro gun. Rep Cole's district office reported the same thing. Rep Reboletti's admin asst reports that the majority of the calls from his district were in oppostion to his vote, i.e. pro 758, anti-gun.

If we're gonna target someone, let's hit his district office at 630-530-2730. Let him know that he voted correctly, heck, even the admin asst knows that a FOID requires a BG check!!!!

AB

What the Brady Bunch apparently still doesn't realize is that when Reps like Cole, Reboletti and Osmond (my rep) vote pro-gun they are not only voting for what they know is right, they are voting the way their constituents want them to vote.

Even with the influx of refugees from Crook County these are still very conservative areas and any politician that wants to stay in office had best remember that.

• 11 months later...

Government intrusion and violation of privacy is getting much worse.

FBI wants eye scans, palm prints, and tattoo mapping

The FBI is creating a massive computer database of people's physical characteristics, which is part of an effort the bureau says to better identify criminals and terrorists. The FBI is spending $1 Billion to create the biometric database.

But it's unnerving to privacy experts."It's the beginning of the surveillance society where you can be tracked anywhere, any time and all your movements, and eventually all your activities will be tracked and noted and correlated," said Barry Steinhardt, director of the American Civil Liberties Union's Technology and Liberty Project. "There are real consequences to people." You don't have to be a criminal or a terrorist to be checked against the database. The FBI biometrics dabase gose much further background search criminal records available to anyone from onlin companies. In the FBI biometric system mitakes are common. A 2006 German study looking at facial recognition in a crowded train station found successful matches could be made only 60 percent of the time during the day. But when lighting conditions worsened at night, the results shrank to a success rate of 10 to 20 percent.

Critics say people are being forced to give up too much personal information. But, in complete "double-speak," Lawrence Hornak, the co-director of the research center at West Virginia University, said it could actually enhance people's privacy. "It allows you to project your identity as being you," said Hornak. "And it allows people to avoid identity theft, things of that nature." So the government is marketing it as a "privacy enhancer." So don't worry, Big Brother Government is doing it for your own good.

What the Brady Bunch apparently still doesn't realize is that when Reps like Cole, Reboletti and Osmond (my rep) vote pro-gun they are not only voting for what they know is right, they are voting the way their constituents want them to vote.

Even with the influx of refugees from Crook County these are still very conservative areas and any politician that wants to stay in office had best remember that.

Gun rights are not a partisan issue! :thumbsup:

Archived