Lake County

SirMatthew

I don't know who has been working on Lake County, but I contacted Chairman Suzi Schmidt about the resolution. She is out the rest of the week, but thinks the resolution might have already been received. She is not sure if it has gotten out of committee, but she will check next week and let me know. Her comments from two emails are noted below:

"I questioned about 8 members to day and the Board feels this is not a Cpunty Board issue because we do not legislate gun usage. I will let you know what else I find out. We have a very diversified board so it is not as easy as McHenry. What is DuPage and Kane doing so far???"

"Thankyou for the information. I am with you on this…..I do not personally own a gun but it is our Constitutional right to have one in our homes. Thanks again, Suzi"

I replied that I appreciated her time to look into this while also clarifying this resolution makes no attempt at legislation. I said it was simply an opportunity for counties to live up to their oath and merely oppose gun-control laws which might have a negative impact on their county. The non-binding resolution does not obligate a county to refuse any new law and does not even suggest they should not honor and enforce any new law. They can, however, passively voice an opposition to the creation of any new laws which could harm their county in various ways. Because such laws could negatively affect a county the resolution should be considered county business.

While Suzi may or may not be a supporter of a concealed-carry law, she does appear to be a supporter of this particular resolution in support the the 2A. Being chairman I am hopeful she will help communicate my comments to the board and perhaps even see this resolution receives a vote.

I will keep you informed.

Excellent!!!

Keep up the good work!!!

We have to stay on this in counties that have not signed on!!!

:D

And I just got this reply from Ms. Tobin of Boone County:

"Hi there. Yes I have received everything and will give it to my County Board Chair. I will be in touch and let you know how we will proceed."

Not quite enough to color Boone and Lake counties yellow, but very close!!

Welcome to the forum, SirMatthew! And I commend you for immediately rolling up your sleeves and helping to win back our rights! The 2AR is a very good place to start, as we feel this document is a foundation we can build on.

I would like to point out, 2A resolution postings such as this discussion of Lake county should be posted in the 'Pro 2A resolution' thread in the 'Politics' section, and should not be posted as a new topic. This keeps all 2AR discussion in one thread. The exception being the '2A resolution resources' thread.

"I questioned about 8 members to day and the Board feels this is not a Cpunty Board issue because we do not legislate gun usage. I will let you know what else I find out. We have a very diversified board so it is not as easy as McHenry. What is DuPage and Kane doing so far???"

May I ask if you forwarded any information to them or was this simply done like a 'Cold call'? In all past contacts we have sent the 2AR along with an 'introduction' letter and a 'county board business' letter explaining why this resolution needs to be passed at the county level of government. If you have not reviewed the '2A resolution resources' thread, I would ask that you do so before any further efforts are made.

If you have any friends, family, or contacts that live in a county you are working with, I strongly suggest you contact them and ask them to call their board members and recommend passing the resolution. It certainly helps the process along when you have 'locals' communicating their support of this resolution. Otherwise, it is sometimes viewed as 'outsiders' pushing an 'agenda.' At the very least, I would suggest trying to locate a gun shop or sporting goods store in that county, familiarize them with the 2AR and it's website, and inform them this has reached their local county board and needs their support in passing.

We appreciate your efforts!!

Buzzard

Welcome to the forum, SirMatthew! And I commend you for immediately rolling up your sleeves and helping to win back our rights! The 2AR is a very good place to start, as we feel this document is a foundation we can build on.

I would like to point out, 2A resolution postings such as this discussion of Lake county should be posted in the 'Pro 2A resolution' thread in the 'Politics' section, and should not be posted as a new topic. This keeps all 2AR discussion in one thread. The exception being the '2A resolution resources' thread.

May I ask if you forwarded any information to them or was this simply done like a 'Cold call'? In all past contacts we have sent the 2AR along with an 'introduction' letter and a 'county board business' letter explaining why this resolution needs to be passed at the county level of government. If you have not reviewed the '2A resolution resources' thread, I would ask that you do so before any further efforts are made.

If you have any friends, family, or contacts that live in a county you are working with, I strongly suggest you contact them and ask them to call their board members and recommend passing the resolution. It certainly helps the process along when you have 'locals' communicating their support of this resolution. Otherwise, it is sometimes viewed as 'outsiders' pushing an 'agenda.' At the very least, I would suggest trying to locate a gun shop or sporting goods store in that county, familiarize them with the 2AR and it's website, and inform them this has reached their local county board and needs their support in passing.

We appreciate your efforts!!

Buzzard

Point taken about placing a new topic in the right place. I'll be extra careful from now on.

Past efforts seem to have worked so well I'm hesitant to do anything to interfere with that. I initiate contact in the assumption I am the first to let them know about the resolution. I include the commissioner letter, county business letter, resolution template, and current map and try to let these documents speak for themselves. If there is a news article I can include in my short personal email which supports our cause, such as the one about LaSalle county, then I will include a link to that as well. I think they take it more seriously when they see genuine news articles about it. I also let them know which counties around them have approved the resolution and ask if they would consider it for themselves. If they have not already received the resolution then I am making progress by providing it to them. If they do have it, as happened with Lake county, then they simply let me know the status of it. Either way, I try to approach them as someone who is informing and inquiring about the resolution, not one pushing an agenda. I try to refrain from having deeper 2A issues in my initial contact letter. Despite this, Champaign county (Mr. Betz) replied with such defiance and resistance that I did engage in a more serious debate with him. I don't believe expressing strong opinions will help our cause, especially for those having opposing strong opinions, but I certainly don't let them walk over me either. However, I usually receive back very helpful and kind replies. If I can do my part to see Lake, Boone, and Sangamon turn yellow on the map then I'll contact a few other counties. Your comments about getting support in those areas is a good one, I'll invest some time and work on also right now.

Thanks for your comments!

I try to approach them as someone who is informing and inquiring about the resolution, not one pushing an agenda. I try to refrain from having deeper 2A issues in my initial contact letter. Despite this, Champaign county (Mr. Betz) replied with such defiance and resistance that I did engage in a more serious debate with him. I don't believe expressing strong opinions will help our cause, especially for those having opposing strong opinions, but I certainly don't let them walk over me either.

Diplomacy and decorrum is of the utmost importance, regardless of what demeanor they inflict upon us!! Champaign county has from the very start established itself as "South Chicago" in how they run things politically! It may be best to leave that county to those that are already involved, that being 'ol Coach'!

He's the man down there and has been goin' after them 'punch for punch' so to speak! Go get'um Coach!!

Here are e-mails of several individuals working on Lake County that I've been in contact w/.

bsafe_52@hotmail.com

citizensfordenz@inbox.com

sortx23@gmail.com

jsei@yahoo.com

towsrus131@aol.com

bguth351@sbcglobal.net

'don castella' (dcastella@vernongop.org)

big_three_hunter@hotmail.com

roimail@inbox.com

We started a petition drive due to Susie's stance on the resolution. She was contacted by a State Line Rifle Assocation member.

We have recived help from ISRA and petitions are slowly comming in from that effort. We also have petitions at our local gun shops. Bass Pro is working with us and are activly getting petitions.

We are now meeting with board members and hope to get a byparticent group in support.

We willl then present it to the whole board at a meeting with the petitions to back us up and we hope to have a good showing of support at that time.

When will this be? At this time no date is set but soon I hope.

We are still looking for support and if anyone wishes to help contact me at jsei@att.net

Thank you

Jim Stewart

I don't know who has been working on Lake County, but I contacted Chairman Suzi Schmidt about the resolution. She is out the rest of the week, but thinks the resolution might have already been received. She is not sure if it has gotten out of committee, but she will check next week and let me know. Her comments from two emails are noted below:

"Thankyou for the information. I am with you on this…..I do not personally own a gun but it is our Constitutional right to have one in our homes. Thanks again, Suzi"

I replied that I appreciated her time to look into this while also clarifying this resolution makes no attempt at legislation. I said it was simply an opportunity for counties to live up to their oath and merely oppose gun-control laws which might have a negative impact on their county. The non-binding resolution does not obligate a county to refuse any new law and does not even suggest they should not honor and enforce any new law. They can, however, passively voice an opposition to the creation of any new laws which could harm their county in various ways. Because such laws could negatively affect a county the resolution should be considered county business.

While Suzi may or may not be a supporter of a concealed-carry law, she does appear to be a supporter of this particular resolution in support the the 2A. Being chairman I am hopeful she will help communicate my comments to the board and perhaps even see this resolution receives a vote.

We started a petition drive due to Susie's stance on the resolution. She was contacted by a State Line Rifle Assocation member.

We have recived help from ISRA and petitions are slowly comming in from that effort. We also have petitions at our local gun shops. Bass Pro is working with us and are activly getting petitions.

We are now meeting with board members and hope to get a byparticent group in support.

We willl then present it to the whole board at a meeting with the petitions to back us up and we hope to have a good showing of support at that time.

When will this be? At this time no date is set but soon I hope.

We are still looking for support and if anyone wishes to help contact me at jsei@att.net

Thank you

Jim Stewart

Can you post a copy of the petition?

• 2 months later...

Lake County Pro Second Amendment Resolution

To be brought before the County Board on,

Tuesday, August 12th 2008, at 9 am,

at 18 N. County St. 10th Floor Waukegan IL 60085

There is a security check at the County Building metal detectors etc.

Don’t be armed in any way flashlights, knives etc.

Allow extra time. Be there about ½ hr before 8:30 am or even earlier.

We appreciate the support you have shown and would like to see all of you at this meeting.

Come show your support for the

Constitution and the Second Amendment.

Please be there. We want standing room only.

Help protect your rights.

Archived