AWB vote this week?

45superman

Scroll down to the bottom of this article:

Guns

The House last week killed a bill restricting handgun purchases to one per month. A bill to ban assault weapons will be called for a vote this week, said sponsor Rep. Edward Acevedo, D-Chicago.

Rep. Aaron Schock, R-Peoria, is sponsoring a bill to allow Illinoisans to carry concealed weapons. It is stuck in the House Rules Committee, where nothing will happen to it unless Madigan agrees.

“I know better than to run around chasing my tail,” Schock said.

Presumably, Acevedo referred to HB 4357, although I suppose it's possible that it's HB 873. Doesn't really matter--they're the same bill.

One possibility is that this is just a "bargaining chip" to try to get some of the borderline anti-gun folks to vote for the other anti-gun priorities (HB 758 and SB 1007).

Either way, we have calls to make starting tomorrow. I guess we might as well start with the same list that we've been using for HB 758 and SB 1007:

State Representative Sandy Cole (R-62)

(217) 782-7320

State Representative Paul Froehlich (D-56)

(217) 782-3725

State Representative Sidney Mathias (R-53)

(217) 782-1664

State Representative Ruth Munson (R-43)

(217) 782-8020

State Representative Charles Jefferson (D-67)

(217) 782-3167

State Representative Patricia Bellock (R-47)

(217) 782-1448

State Representative Sandra Pihos (R-42)

(217) 782-8037

Rep. Charles Jefferson probably won't be very sympathetic--he signed on as a co-sponsor of HB 4357 less than a week ago.

I presume you mean we all should call, not just constituents?

That is my understanding.

However, I suggest everyone contact his or her own Representative in addition to the list.

If you don't know who your state Representative is, you can look the information up here:

http://www.capwiz.com/nra/dbq/officials/

(make sure to select "state" when you enter in your zip code - the default setting is "Congress")

It is stuck in the House Rules Committee, where nothing will happen to it unless Madigan agrees.

What does Madigan have to do with this? Doesnt the committee vote and if they approve, it goes to the house for a vote?

Maybe the Rules Committee chairperson (Barbara Flynn Currie) does Madigan's bidding like a good little minion, and only brings bills up for votes with Madigan's blessing.

Another question is that although HB 4544 is bottled up in Rules, HB 1304 isn't, and Schock is a co-sponsor of that one--why doesn't he put some muscle behind that?

It is stuck in the House Rules Committee, where nothing will happen to it unless Madigan agrees.

What does Madigan have to do with this? Doesnt the committee vote and if they approve, it goes to the house for a vote?

Maybe the Rules Committee chairperson (Barbara Flynn Currie) does Madigan's bidding like a good little minion, and only brings bills up for votes with Madigan's blessing.

Another question is that although HB 4544 is bottled up in Rules, HB 1304 isn't, and Schock is a co-sponsor of that one--why doesn't he put some muscle behind that?

IIUC, the date for bills to be passed out of committee was the middle of last month. Any bill that didn't get out of committee was automatically re-reffered to Rules. Normally, (if there is such a state in this legislature) the bills stay there until the end of the session and die. However, the Speaker (Madigan), at his discretion can allow the rules committee to release any bill he chooses. So, yes, he has great power to deterimine what bills get looked at. Unfair?? It's in the State Constitution. Another reason some say we need a Constitutional Convention.

If any of the above is not right, please correct me!

And, .45, thanks for bringning up 1304. If anyone here is from Schock's district, that would be a good question for a constituent to ask. I've e-mailed him already with the question and have recieved no answer.

AB

Guns

The House last week killed a bill restricting handgun purchases to one per month. A bill to ban assault weapons will be called for a vote this week, said sponsor Rep. Edward Acevedo, D-Chicago.

Rep. Aaron Schock, R-Peoria, is sponsoring a bill to allow Illinoisans to carry concealed weapons. It is stuck in the House Rules Committee, where nothing will happen to it unless Madigan agrees.

“I know better than to run around chasing my tail,†Schock said.

Presumably, Acevedo referred to HB 4357, although I suppose it's possible that it's HB 873. Doesn't really matter--they're the same bill.

One possibility is that this is just a "bargaining chip" to try to get some of the borderline anti-gun folks to vote for the other anti-gun priorities (HB 758 and SB 1007).

Either way, we have calls to make starting tomorrow. I guess we might as well start with the same list that we've been using for HB 758 and SB 1007:

(217) 782-7320

(217) 782-3725

(217) 782-1664

(217) 782-8020

(217) 782-3167

(217) 782-1448

(217) 782-8037

Rep. Charles Jefferson probably won't be very sympathetic--he signed on as a co-sponsor of HB 4357 less than a week ago.

To the top: Add Speaker Madigan to the list 217-783-5350. He just as well hear our stance also! Offices open at 8:30, most have answering machines if you want to call tonight or earlier in the A.M.

Get those dialing fingers warmed up. Oppose HB4357, HB758, HB873, and SB1007.

Go Girls and Guys Go!!!!

AB

From the NRA:

Illinois: Anti-gun Extremists in Springfield Expected to Push for Ban on Firearms!

Monday, April 14, 2008

Make Your Voice Heard Today!

House Bill 4357, introduced by Representative Edward Acevedo (D-2), seeks to ban countless semi-automatic handguns, rifles, and shotguns, as well as .50 cal. rifles and ammunition. Any person who lawfully owns a firearm that matches the criteria would be permitted to keep that firearm so long as they have registered their firearm with the Department of State Police within 90 days of the ban's activation date. This registration includes previously owned firearms, as has been done in other areas.

HB 4357 ban would include numerous autoloading hunting rifles and shotguns, autoloading .22 rimfire rifles, some 19th century pistols, as well as many firearms with a "military-style appearance" used for self-defense, target shooting and hunting.

HB4357 is an outright ban on your Second Amendment rights to lawfully own and possess these firearms!

It's serious enough to have gotten the NRA's attention:

Illinois: Anti-gun Extremists in Springfield Expected to

Push for Ban on Firearms!

Make Your Voice Heard Today!

House Bill 4357, introduced by Representative Edward Acevedo (D-2), seeks to ban countless semi-automatic handguns, rifles, and shotguns, as well as .50 cal. rifles and ammunition. Any person who lawfully owns a firearm that matches the criteria would be permitted to keep that firearm so long as they have registered their firearm with the Department of State Police within 90 days of the ban's activation date. This registration includes previously owned firearms, as has been done in other areas.

HB 4357 ban would include numerous autoloading hunting rifles and shotguns, autoloading .22 rimfire rifles, some 19th century pistols, as well as many firearms with a "military-style appearance" used for self-defense, target shooting and hunting.

HB4357 is an outright ban on your Second Amendment rights to lawfully own and possess these firearms!

It is critical that you contact your State Representative TODAY and urge him to oppose HB 4357! To contact your State Representative please click here.

NOTHING happens in the House without Madigan's approval.

Amen to that. I've emailed and called him and Viverito so much over the last 2 years I had to stop for a while, thought I was getting carpal tunnel in my trigger finger and my thumb got callouses :sad: Got a new Blackberry recently so I'll give it a workout tomorrow just so they know I care. ;)

To the Top!!!! Today's the day!!! CALL!!

Guns

“I know better than to run around chasing my tail,†Schock said.

(217) 782-7320

(217) 782-3725

(217) 782-1664

(217) 782-8020

(217) 782-3167

(217) 782-1448

(217) 782-8037

To the top: Add Speaker Madigan to the list 217-782-5350. He just as well hear our stance also! Offices open at 8:30, most have answering machines if you want to call tonight or earlier in the A.M.

Get those dialing fingers warmed up. Oppose HB4357, HB578, HB873, and SB1007.

Go Girls and Guys Go!!!!

AB

To the top, today's the day!!! Call!!!!!

Just talked to the nice lady at Rep Winter's office, she assured me that he would oppose these.

It seems that Rep Winters was interviewed on a Chicago station for his oppostion to one of these bills just a couple days ago.

Dave Winters is awesome he talks to me like I am a regular guy. He is all about concealed carry and campus carry. He even said at IGOLD that he thinks high school students that have been trained should be able to carry. You dont have to call him to oppose bills you can if you want but he said when he gets enough complaints about the way he votes on gun issues he will quit before he votes for more gun laws.

SB1007 - magazine ban -is on the docket for Third Reading in the House today - do not know if sponsor will be calling it for vote.

HB4357 - AWB - is on the docket for Second Reading.

HB758 - privates sales - is on the docket for Second Reading

I do not see HB873 - earlier AWB.

So is 1304.

AB

You dont have to call him to oppose bills you can if you want but he said when he gets enough complaints about the way he votes on gun issues he will quit before he votes for more gun laws.

In that case, calls that thank him for the way he votes are probably in order. The last thing we want is for him to be quitting.

Archived