Jump to content

Fraction of 1% of FOID card holders register banned guns in first week


Molly B.

Recommended Posts

On 11/7/2023 at 6:16 PM, soundguy said:

 

You need to log on to the ISP/FOID website or visit an ISP Kiosk. If you don't have a FOID, you probably need to create an account. If you wanted to SWAT me... you would need my FOID log-in and my phone, or be able to successfully impersonate me at the ISP Kiosk. I suppose a good and motivated hacker could get into my FOID account and do it. But why?

 

It doesn't sound like a very practical thing to do for something that has no immediate consequences, and may never have any consequences.

 

Cheers,

Tim

 

Why would someone need your FOID log-in if they wanted to create a new account to hassle you?  We don't know what cross-checks and de-dupes the ISP coded.  As for WHY someone would do that, consider a vengeful ex, neighbor, or acquaintance who has enough info to create an account to create some havoc.

 

In short, the ISP admitted that persons with FOID cards can create accounts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/7/2023 at 9:14 PM, RECarry said:

 

Why would someone need your FOID log-in if they wanted to create a new account to hassle you?  We don't know what cross-checks and de-dupes the ISP coded.  As for WHY someone would do that, consider a vengeful ex, neighbor, or acquaintance who has enough info to create an account to create some havoc.

 

In short, the ISP admitted that persons with FOID cards can create accounts.

 

If a new account was created with all of my real info, I imagine it wouldn't take, why would someone have two? If it wasn't my real info, it's not me. I've never even thought to worry about  "a vengeful ex, neighbor, or acquaintance". It seems really unlikely in my world.

 

Somehow, creating such an identity for someone else, creating a false FOID account, should be a felony. It probably isn't.

 

I think there are faster, easier ways to secretly burn an adversary...

 

Cheers,

Tim

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/7/2023 at 10:41 PM, soundguy said:

 

If a new account was created with all of my real info, I imagine it wouldn't take, why would someone have two? If it wasn't my real info, it's not me. I've never even thought to worry about  "a vengeful ex, neighbor, or acquaintance". It seems really unlikely in my world.

 

Somehow, creating such an identity for someone else, creating a false FOID account, should be a felony. It probably isn't.

 

I think there are faster, easier ways to secretly burn an adversary...

 

Cheers,

Tim

 

Accessing a computer that you shouldn't is one of the more servere federal crimes. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/7/2023 at 10:41 PM, soundguy said:

 

If a new account was created with all of my real info, I imagine it wouldn't take, why would someone have two? If it wasn't my real info, it's not me. I've never even thought to worry about  "a vengeful ex, neighbor, or acquaintance". It seems really unlikely in my world.

 

Somehow, creating such an identity for someone else, creating a false FOID account, should be a felony. It probably isn't.

 

I think there are faster, easier ways to secretly burn an adversary...

 

Cheers,

Tim

 

 

Many of us feel that ISP should be able to guarantee there won't be any identity theft or "cyber swatting", even if the idea of a vengeful ex seems unlikely.  Some of the most widespread data breaches have occurred in ways that weren't anticipated or, were anticipated but were not taken seriously.

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/11/2023 at 4:50 PM, mauserme said:

 

 

Many of us feel that ISP should be able to guarantee there won't be any identity theft or "cyber swatting", even if the idea of a vengeful ex seems unlikely.  Some of the most widespread data breaches have occurred in ways that weren't anticipated or, were anticipated but were not taken seriously.

 

 

 

 

 

Most data breaches involve an inside person.  Someone who sees all these weapons being registered by "bad" people and decides to go all Edward Snowden is a likely scenario on how the information will be compromised.  And the prickster and his cronies really won't care.  Does anybody really know the workflow for handling the information, how access is controlled, where replicated copies of the database are, etc.  IIRC there is no right to private action in the law, so who exactly are you going to depend on if you file a data breach complaint?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/11/2023 at 6:03 PM, DoYouFeelLucky said:

Most data breaches involve an inside person.  Someone who sees all these weapons being registered by "bad" people and decides to go all Edward Snowden is a likely scenario on how the information will be compromised.  And the prickster and his cronies really won't care.  Does anybody really know the workflow for handling the information, how access is controlled, where replicated copies of the database are, etc.  IIRC there is no right to private action in the law, so who exactly are you going to depend on if you file a data breach complaint?

 

I'd like to see your source for that stat on data breaches. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/11/2023 at 4:50 PM, mauserme said:

 

 

Many of us feel that ISP should be able to guarantee there won't be any identity theft or "cyber swatting", even if the idea of a vengeful ex seems unlikely.  Some of the most widespread data breaches have occurred in ways that weren't anticipated or, were anticipated but were not taken seriously.

 

 

 

 

 

 

With zero privacy in the law regarding the AWB registry, the media is going to FOIA that info and the current makeup of the general assembly won't stop it from being made public.  Then the anti-gun commies will run wild with that info. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think the various caucuses typically publish official lists of their members, so we have to settle for other sources identifying them.    This article, from 8/27/2021, is during the same 102nd General Assembly as the vote on the gun ban was taken.  It's probably about as good as we'll get for a member list.

 

Here are the roll calls in the Senate, and on the House concurrence vote on Senate Amendment 3 which is the meat of the ban.

 

Comparing the affirmative votes to the caucus members in the article, I think Steve's statement is accurate.

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We got your Illinois Legislative Jewish Caucus, we got 'em right here.  101st GA and 102nd GA.
Lists provided by Illinois Legislative Jewish Caucus members.

Some may only identify as Jewish Caucus members.

 

https://www.gonggershowitz.com/11863/

https://www.illinoissenatedemocrats.com/caucus-news/5227-a-statement-from-the-illinois-legislative-jewish-caucus-on-the-war-in-the-middle-east

 

101st GA

Illinois Jewish Legislative Caucus

Illinois State Representative Jennifer Gong-Gershowitz
Illinois State Representative Denyse Wang Stoneback
Illinois State Senator Laura Fine
Illinois State Senator Ram Villvalam

Illinois State Representative Jonathan Carroll
Illinois State Representative Kelly Cassidy
Illinois State Representative Margaret Croke
Illinois State Representative Daniel Didech
Illinois State Representative Robyn Gabel
Illinois State Representative Will Guzzardi
Illinois State Representative Anna Moeller
Illinois State Representative Bob Morgan
Illinois State Representative Sam Yingling
Illinois State Senator Sara Feigenholtz
Illinois State Senator Julie Morrison

 

102nd GA
Representative Jonathan Carroll
Representative Kelly Cassidy
Representative Margaret Croke
Representative Daniel Didech
Representative Robyn Gabel
Representative Jennifer Gong-Gershowitz
Representative Will Guzzardi
Representative Anna Moeller
Representative Bob Morgan
Representative Kevin Olickal
Senator Sara Feigenholtz
Senator Laura Fine
Senator Julie Morrison
Senator Robert Peters
Senator Ram Villivalam

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/13/2023 at 4:26 PM, Tip said:

Wait, it might be worse than that!

Since you aren’t required to possess a FOID to own banned items and you aren’t required to possess a FOID to “disclose” shouldn’t those percentages be based upon total population???

 

A fellow down the street from me and his 3 sons are rabid about Airsoft competition....It's a family fun thing. I have seen several of their Airsoft AR style rifles and they look to be outfitted with standard AR attachments. I was talking to him yesterday and asked him how the Airsoft Community was going to deal with having to register their vertical foregrips and pistol grips and collapsible stocks that are now banned as "Assault Weapon Attachments" and he was totally perplexed. Seems as if the Airsoft Aficionados are totally unaware they could be felons in possession of unregistered Assault Weapon Attachments on January 1st. 

 

People who don't have FOID's and even many who do simply have no idea that PICA and the ISP are going to make criminals out of millions of Illinois residents who have no clue they are being targeted. My neighbor seemed incensed that he was supposed to "turn himself in" and forfeit his 5th amendment rights over attachments he has owned for years and were perfectly legal when they were acquired.

 

VooDoo

Edited by Vodoun da Vinci
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/15/2023 at 8:17 AM, mikew said:

We got your Illinois Legislative Jewish Caucus, we got 'em right here.  101st GA and 102nd GA.
Lists provided by Illinois Legislative Jewish Caucus members.

Some may only identify as Jewish Caucus members.

 

https://www.gonggershowitz.com/11863/

https://www.illinoissenatedemocrats.com/caucus-news/5227-a-statement-from-the-illinois-legislative-jewish-caucus-on-the-war-in-the-middle-east

 

101st GA

Illinois Jewish Legislative Caucus

Illinois State Representative Jennifer Gong-Gershowitz
Illinois State Representative Denyse Wang Stoneback
Illinois State Senator Laura Fine
Illinois State Senator Ram Villvalam

Illinois State Representative Jonathan Carroll
Illinois State Representative Kelly Cassidy
Illinois State Representative Margaret Croke
Illinois State Representative Daniel Didech
Illinois State Representative Robyn Gabel
Illinois State Representative Will Guzzardi
Illinois State Representative Anna Moeller
Illinois State Representative Bob Morgan
Illinois State Representative Sam Yingling
Illinois State Senator Sara Feigenholtz
Illinois State Senator Julie Morrison

 

102nd GA
Representative Jonathan Carroll
Representative Kelly Cassidy
Representative Margaret Croke
Representative Daniel Didech
Representative Robyn Gabel
Representative Jennifer Gong-Gershowitz
Representative Will Guzzardi
Representative Anna Moeller
Representative Bob Morgan
Representative Kevin Olickal
Senator Sara Feigenholtz
Senator Laura Fine
Senator Julie Morrison
Senator Robert Peters
Senator Ram Villivalam

Let’s all remember Morrison and Morgan in 2019….

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/15/2023 at 7:16 PM, steveTA84 said:

Let’s all remember Morrison and Morgan in 2019….

 

Julie Morrison and Bob Morgan would help shove their fellow Jews into the boxcars if it came to it. George Soros would be so proud. All the sheep clapping at the threats made by this sick control freak must have no understanding of NEVER AGAIN. Real nice !!!! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/15/2023 at 8:32 PM, G214me said:

Julie Morrison and Bob Morgan would help shove their fellow Jews into the boxcars if it came to it. George Soros would be so proud. All the sheep clapping at the threats made by this sick control freak must have no understanding of NEVER AGAIN. Real nice !!!! 

I don't think she is Jewish.  Bob Morgan OTOH, is.  Half of your "sheep" at the meeting were gun owners clapping at the irony and that she said the quiet part out loud. The other half were the MDA red shirts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/14/2023 at 7:02 PM, steveTA84 said:

And the Jewish Caucus, every single one of them, voted for this law. The irony is insane  


I read a blurb this morning that I can’t find. It said that something like 230 thousand Israelis had applied for firearm permits. The minister in charge of that, was urging that he wanted more to apply.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/16/2023 at 7:44 AM, Black Flag said:

I don't think she is Jewish.  Bob Morgan OTOH, is.  Half of your "sheep" at the meeting were gun owners clapping at the irony and that she said the quiet part out loud. The other half were the MDA red shirts.

Bob Morgan has a cousin who lives in Israel, apparently.

 

https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/14/middleeast/israel-guns-hamas-far-right/index.html#:~:text=of Hamas' attack.-,Some are worried it is playing to,right's vision for the country&text=Itamar Ben-Gvir shakes hands,Caesarea%2C Israel%2C November 2023.

Quote

“There’s a gun culture because people are insecure, so they buy guns, and every local feud can turn into a gun battle,” Ben-Porat, who is also an expert on minority policing, said. “However, the answer is not to give guns to Jewish citizens, but to take the guns away.”

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/15/2023 at 8:17 AM, mikew said:

We got your Illinois Legislative Jewish Caucus, we got 'em right here.  101st GA and 102nd GA.
Lists provided by Illinois Legislative Jewish Caucus members.

Some may only identify as Jewish Caucus members.

 

https://www.gonggershowitz.com/11863/

https://www.illinoissenatedemocrats.com/caucus-news/5227-a-statement-from-the-illinois-legislative-jewish-caucus-on-the-war-in-the-middle-east

 

101st GA

Illinois Jewish Legislative Caucus

Illinois State Representative Jennifer Gong-Gershowitz
Illinois State Representative Denyse Wang Stoneback
Illinois State Senator Laura Fine
Illinois State Senator Ram Villvalam

Illinois State Representative Jonathan Carroll
Illinois State Representative Kelly Cassidy
Illinois State Representative Margaret Croke
Illinois State Representative Daniel Didech
Illinois State Representative Robyn Gabel
Illinois State Representative Will Guzzardi
Illinois State Representative Anna Moeller
Illinois State Representative Bob Morgan
Illinois State Representative Sam Yingling
Illinois State Senator Sara Feigenholtz
Illinois State Senator Julie Morrison

 

102nd GA
Representative Jonathan Carroll
Representative Kelly Cassidy
Representative Margaret Croke
Representative Daniel Didech
Representative Robyn Gabel
Representative Jennifer Gong-Gershowitz
Representative Will Guzzardi
Representative Anna Moeller
Representative Bob Morgan
Representative Kevin Olickal
Senator Sara Feigenholtz
Senator Laura Fine
Senator Julie Morrison
Senator Robert Peters
Senator Ram Villivalam

Thanks Mike. @soundguy, care to comment? Why would stating a fact denote some sort of negative/faux comment?E0C4F202-F2D1-4892-B833-E54E670022AF.thumb.jpeg.d071725164a6f94e7d2927b921da4d07.jpeg7A22354B-479A-4C5E-B4EF-ECCF4BFD808D.thumb.jpeg.752553bb1e20a8a1c5fc1113c616ac02.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/15/2023 at 9:50 AM, Vodoun da Vinci said:

 

A fellow down the street from me and his 3 sons are rabid about Airsoft competition....It's a family fun thing. I have seen several of their Airsoft AR style rifles and they look to be outfitted with standard AR attachments. I was talking to him yesterday and asked him how the Airsoft Community was going to deal with having to register their vertical foregrips and pistol grips and collapsible stocks that are now banned as "Assault Weapon Attachments" and he was totally perplexed. Seems as if the Airsoft Aficionados are totally unaware they could be felons in possession of unregistered Assault Weapon Attachments on January 1st. 

 

People who don't have FOID's and even many who do simply have no idea that PICA and the ISP are going to make criminals out of millions of Illinois residents who have no clue they are being targeted. My neighbor seemed incensed that he was supposed to "turn himself in" and forfeit his 5th amendment rights over attachments he has owned for years and were perfectly legal when they were acquired.

 

VooDoo

 

This entire law is a mess. They know it. We know it. They don't care. The long game for people like Don Harmon, Welch and others is passing as many of these as possible 

to tie the courts up, while waiting for the makeup to change. With Ramini in play, courts may have to be very concise when it comes to removal of second amendment rights. You don't lose fifth amendment rights: you exercise them when the police arrest you and during the pre-trial process. Turning yourself in? People need to stop. You're not a felon. Even after January first, you're not a felon. You just can't bring your rifle outside of your private property. Not registering is better because it forces them to do everything. Remember: police and their agencies LIE unless they're in front of a judge and sworn in under oath.

Edited by crufflesmuth
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...