CCL shoots himself first, then shoots offender

Euler

CWBChicago

CWBChicago said:

It started around 10:03 p.m. as two men were arguing on a sidewalk in the first block of West Van Buren, near the stairs leading up to the L platform.

A 31-year-old concealed carry holder pulled a gun and accidentally shot himself in the leg, according to CPD. He then shot a 30-year-old man in the hand and fled the scene in a vehicle.

A Chicago police media statement referred to the concealed carry holder as the "victim" and the other man as the "offender," but police did not say what the concealed carry holder was a victim of. The shooting was recorded by a CPD surveillance camera.

... then there was the running-away part ...

This reminds me of a Soldier that I had about 10 years ago. The idiot beat his wife, took off in the car and found out that parking in somebody's living room is a bad idea. He ended up crashing through a wall and the homeowners wife was pinned underneath the car. He got out of the car and tried to fight the homeowner. The homeowner pulled a gun, shot himself in the hand and then shot my Soldier. The homeowners both recovered. My idiot ended up with a dishonorable shortly after my retirement.

On 6/2/2023 at 10:02 PM, JTHunter said:

Anybody care to bet that the gun was in his waistband and not a holster?  In trying to get the gun out of his waistband, he may have grabbed the trigger.

I know of people that have pulled the trigger drawing against the shot timer during dry fire from a holster. It's frighteningly easy to do if you're in a hurry. That little blue box gets all the way up inside your brain and makes you make strange movements that you've never done before. It's both hilarious and terrifying. 

On 6/3/2023 at 12:46 PM, Smallbore said:

Practice, practice, practice. Too many do not understand adrenaline makes a New York trigger into a hair trigger. This is why I stick with double action only.

Anyone know how to get a big nose of adrenaline dumped into our system during practice. None of my clients with medical degrees had a suggestion.

In one of the FoF classes I attended our instructor had us face away from the target, then equipped two other students with foam training batons and had us spar with them for 30 seconds before blowing the whistle that was the signal for them to stop and for us to turn towards the target, draw and engage.

Without using an EpiPen or a realistic enough threat to cause a dump, it wasn't bad.

On 6/3/2023 at 1:25 AM, davel501 said:

I know of people that have pulled the trigger drawing against the shot timer during dry fire from a holster. It's frighteningly easy to do if you're in a hurry. That little blue box gets all the way up inside your brain and makes you make strange movements that you've never done before. It's both hilarious and terrifying. 

I remember in the pre-CCW years there being signs in all the ranges local to me NO DRAWING FROM HOLSTER for exactly this reason. Our academy was religious in their teaching us that the finger doesn't go on the bang switch until our sights are on target.