High capacity magazines

vito

On 5/26/2023 at 2:06 PM, 2A4Cook said:

That is my understanding, as well.  Try to keep receipts.

That's what sucks, how is the state going to enforce the magazine ban? Are they going to request receipts during certain traffic stops? I sell quite a bit of my products at gun shows. Firearms ALWAYS get a receipt but accessories, rarely. I offer receipts to most of my customers at the gun shows but most of them refuse. I am betting there is going to be a significant amount of gun owners who don't have receipts for their "assault" parts. Then what: confiscation, arrest, confiscation & arrest? Can't wait to see how this unfolds next year...

On 5/26/2023 at 6:33 PM, davel501 said:

The burden of proof is on the state to prove you acquired the banned item after the date. As long as you don't have something that didn't exist at the time they are going to have a hard time making their case. 

True, but they'll still confiscate it, so you still lose.  And if they DO charge you even if they have no case, they can try to take your firearms, as well.  This tyrant state just doesn't care about the law, let alone our rights.

On 5/26/2023 at 6:38 PM, 2A4Cook said:

True, but they'll still confiscate it, so you still lose.  And if they DO charge you even if they have no case, they can try to take your firearms, as well.  This tyrant state just doesn't care about the law, let alone our rights.

I would spend the money to destroy those tyrants financially and professionally. I know that's not the choice everyone would make but people like us are out there. 

On 5/28/2023 at 6:50 AM, Bitter Clinger said:

So, can I still take my handgun with a 17 round mag to the range, at least until next year?

Can I bring my AR to the range with a 30 round mag, at least until next year?

I guess we really could use a list of what we can and cannot do at this point.

At this point you can take a "high cap" mag to the enumerated places in section 1.10 if unloaded and enclosed in a case as if they were a gun

you can keep them at home -- loaded or unloaded. 

you can not carry a gun with a high cap mag, and in my reading of the law that means any mag that can be converted to more than 15 rounds due to add on base plates or removeable base plates. intent is not a condition in the law. 

On 5/26/2023 at 6:26 PM, ealcala31 said:

That's what sucks, how is the state going to enforce the magazine ban? Are they going to request receipts during certain traffic stops? I sell quite a bit of my products at gun shows. Firearms ALWAYS get a receipt but accessories, rarely. I offer receipts to most of my customers at the gun shows but most of them refuse. I am betting there is going to be a significant amount of gun owners who don't have receipts for their "assault" parts. Then what: confiscation, arrest, confiscation & arrest? Can't wait to see how this unfolds next year...

Doesn't the Unconstitutional law say, though legal to own them, if you did before, but only at home   

On 5/30/2023 at 6:55 AM, cybermgk said:

Doesn't the Unconstitutional law say, though legal to own them, if you did before, but only at home   

They allow you to take them to other private property with the express permission of the owner. Also, if you shoot outside of the state like I do, you would be bringing those "dangerous" magazines back. The Indiana gun club that I am a part of, has so many IL residents that they stopped accepting IL residents a few years back until IN residents catch up 😆. I am sure other IL gun owners near any of our borders cross over to shoot or shoot on private farms within the state. Get caught speeding on the way back, that is going to be interesting...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Liberal run states will continue to pass unconstitutional laws that they KNOW are unconstitutional because it will take YEARS for them to be corrected, and in the meantime everyone in the state has to play by their rules - which are unconstitutional. There is no repercussions for the states to continue doing exactly what they're doing now. In blue states I'd expect this to get worse before it gets better.

I think it's safe to say most on this forum didn't vote for the politicians passing this legislation, but the majority in your state did, so .....

Edited by Wild Bill

You can legally retain "high capacity" magazines, but no longer purchase them (or have them transferred to you) after the effective date of the new statute.  You can use and possess them on your property, or property of others with their permission, including gun ranges.  However, you must transport the "high capacity" magazines unloaded, and the transport must be as you are going to a lawful place they can be possessed.  So, you cannot drive around with high capacity magazines on your person or vehicle if you are not enroute to a place you can lawfully possess them.  And, you cannot conceal carry a "high capacity" magazine.