10 Years Ago Today - Conceal Carry Bill SB2193 Passed in the House - 85-30-1

Molly B.

An event worth celebrating and a moment to give thanks to those who fought for so long to achieve such a win. Had we not won that, Illinois would have likely had to wait until Bruen for CCW and I would expect we would then be dealing with the unconstitutional “Bruen response bills” in this state as well.

On 5/24/2023 at 1:25 PM, Matt B said:

An event worth celebrating and a moment to give thanks to those who fought for so long to achieve such a win. Had we not won that, Illinois would have likely had to wait until Bruen for CCW and I would expect we would then be dealing with the unconstitutional “Bruen response bills” in this state as well.

I thought a Federal Judge forced the legislature's hand, and threatened mandating Constitutional Carry if they didn't pass some law asap.

On 5/24/2023 at 2:56 PM, oohrah said:

I thought a Federal Judge forced the legislature's hand, and threatened mandating Constitutional Carry if they didn't pass some law asap.

CA7 ruled the carry ban unconstitutional. ILGA was put in a position that it had to figure out a state mechanism to permit carry or it would default to county sheriffs (who could have decided permits were not required, I suppose). It created a somewhat bizarre situation in which those who "took a stand" against legal carry weren't really taking a stand against legal carry. If the "no" votes had prevailed, carry would still have become law, just not state law.

FWIW: CA7 docket listing for Moore v Madigan

December 11, 2012: CA7 panel decision (docket 46); Mandate was staid for 180 days.

January 8, 2013: Madigan files for rehearing en banc

February 22: CA7 denies motion for rehearing

May 8: Supreme Court grants motion to extend petition for certiorari to June 24

June 3: Madigan moves for extension of stay while submitting petition for certiorari

June 4: CA7 extends stay to July 9

June 28: Supreme Court again extends petition for certiorari, this time to July 22

There was never a petition for certiorari.

I recall a rumor that the state declined to appeal after the big gun control groups begged them not to, since they were afraid of setting a negative precedent.

Was that ever confirmed in any manner or is that just a rumor?

Those were crazy times.  It was a challenge to keep track of all the test bills will various amendments that ultimately went into the final product.  SB2193 of the 98th General Assembly was Speaker Madigan's carry bill - the one meant to force everyone to the negotiation table.  To clarify a bit, even though that bill did pass the House on 5/24/2013, it didn't become the Firearm Concealed Carry Act.  That honor was reserved  for HB883 of the 98th General Assembly which passed back to the House with multiple Senate Amendments on 5/31/2013.  The House concurred on SA5, SA6, and SA7 that same day after the other amendments were either withdrawn or tabled.

So we can celebrate passage for a whole week, sort of like Advent leading up to Christmas.  Here's a link to the 5/31/2013 ILGA thread.  It might take you the whole week to read through it.

On 5/24/2023 at 9:23 AM, Molly B. said:

Celebrating this historic event 10 years ago today!  SB2193 passed the House 85-30-1 at about 12:44 pm.  Relive the excitement and play by play with us!

Concealed carry would go on to be passed in the Senate, vetoed by Gov. Quinn and then the General Assembly would vote to override the veto.

… and  a mere 7 months later, instructors were receiving their new licenses in the mail!

Cheers,

Tim

I can't believe it's been 10 years already.

I remember watching video's of Todd V sitting in front of the legislature trying to explain the difference between a right and a privilege.

Never thought in a million years we'd ever get legal carry here in IL.  It seemed like we were making progress for a while, but now we're falling backward with "assault weapon" and magazine bans.

• 1 month later...
On 5/24/2023 at 9:34 AM, Sweeper13 said:

They cried Blood on the streets, It will be the Wild West....Yup, not from us.

I remember some of the debates and hysteria on our side. What is partially concealed. Could you be arrested for printing? Police are looking to arrest anyone who allows the slightest bit of their gun to be exposed. There would be numerous arrests for carriers who did not see a no guns sign and walked into a building. Some looked at the prohibited areas list and declared that it was impossible to carry anywhere. 

All in all, I think that things have gone smoothly, but can be improved. I have since moved to the freer state of Indiana. Of course, Illinois now sees me as a danger even though I was in the first batch of non-instructors licensed and had renewed my Illinois CCL a year before I moved. 

Good luck with all your court battles. Your state government will do little to protect your gun rights unless it is forced to do so.

Edited by Quiet Observer