Dangerous AND Unusual Smart Gun Hits the Market

mauserme

Has the anti-gun crown pushed so far that one of their centerpieces of "gun safety" is not protected by the Second Amendment?  Is this grail gun (for them) so unusual that the gun owners they hope will buy them, can no longer count on them being legal in the future?  Have they effectively killed innovation, including the kind on innovation they'd like to force on us?

https://nypost.com/2023/04/13/first-ever-smart-gun-with-fingerprint-unlocking-system-hits-the-market/

First-ever ‘smart gun’ with fingerprint unlocking system hits the market

By Rich Calder and Natalie O'Neill

The world’s first “smart gun” hit the market Thursday, complete with a life-saving fingerprint unlocking system that prevents “unauthorized” people such as kids and criminals from firing it.

The cutting-edge 9mm handgun locks out everybody except the owner and users specifically approved by the owner — technology that could improve gun safety in America, according to reps from the gun-making firm Biofire.

As gun control legislation remains largely stalled in the US, the innovation could help prevent everything from school shootings to accidents and suicides, reps from the company said.

“We’re not claiming that the Biofire Smart Gun is going to prevent every instance of firearm misuse. But we do believe this tool can help prevent some firearm suicides, accidents, and injuries from occurring,” Kloepfer said.”If our work saves even one child’s life, it will be worth it.”

“This Smart Gun was designed specifically for real gun owners who want a quality home-defense firearm that cannot be used by children or criminals,” said Mike Corbett, a BioFire advisor and former member of SEAL Team 6. “In a few years, I believe that the head of every household in America who wants a home-defense firearm is going to choose this Smart Gun.”

"Is this grail gun (for them) so unusual that the gun owners they hope will buy them, can no longer count on them being legal in the future?"

This is as designed.

Antis believe nobody has a right to self-defense.    They believe that when a criminal wants to do criminal acts against you, you are to roll over and pretend nothing happened.    Just hand over your stuff - that's just "reparations" or "social justice" 

Remember, antis are communists who believe nobody has the right of private property.

When you get used to thugs and criminals stealing from you, it is that much easier for the government to take everything you own so you can "own nothing and be happy"

Edited by BobPistol

The standard comment on this technology seems to be that it might be worth trying after it has been shown to be sufficiently reliable that it is adopted for LE and military use. I’d be interested in it under those circumstances but I am not going to be anybody’s unpaid beta tester for this stuff.

Wake me up in five years.

On 4/15/2023 at 10:51 PM, davel501 said:

Hmmm...fingerprint scanner and face id camera. 1) how often do you have to charge the battery? 2) how does it work if it's covered in blood...like in a gun fight? 

I think it would be cool if the reciprocation of the slide charged the battery, like self-winding watches.

According to the FW video, once you're ID'd, the gun stays activated for a while. Presumably the gun wouldn't start the fight covered in blood.

As Ian says, it's not intended to be the only handgun someone owns. It's intended to be the one you can leave staged around your house (or at your bedside) otherwise unlocked without fear someone will pick it up and discharge it (e.g., kids). It'll also be interesting to see how it stands up to a MAC-style reliability test.

I'm not advocating for it. My impression is, however, that to whatever extent it can be done right, the manufacturer is trying to do it right, where previous manufacturers tended to be just anti-gunners trying to make a piece of crap that met the legal conditions so they could say that there was a gun that met the legal conditions.

On 4/15/2023 at 11:32 PM, Euler said:

I think it would be cool if the reciprocation of the slide charged the battery, like self-winding watches.

According to the FW video, once you're ID'd, the gun stays activated for a while. Presumably the gun wouldn't start the fight covered in blood.

As Ian says, it's not intended to be the only handgun someone owns. It's intended to be the one you can leave staged around your house (or at your bedside) otherwise unlocked without fear someone will pick it up and discharge it (e.g., kids). It'll also be interesting to see how it stands up to a MAC-style reliability test.

I'm not advocating for it. My impression is, however, that to whatever extent it can be done right, the manufacturer is trying to do it right, where previous manufacturers tended to be just anti-gunners trying to make a piece of crap that met the legal conditions so they could say that there was a gun that met the legal conditions.

Sometimes gun fights start without a formal airing of grievances. 

• 2 months later...

"They" have been hawking this crap for years. I remember at a conference in Las Vegas seeing a holster for a regular pistol that would only unlock with the proper finger print(s). I think you could program in 3 or 4 different folks, like your partner, your commander etc. The maker said if the battery went dead, it would unlock on it's own. Was humongous and bulky.