Comprehensive Illinois Gun Violence Data Unattainable

mauserme

https://qctimes.com/news/state-and-regional/govt-and-politics/comprehensive-illinois-gun-violence-data-unattainable-state-police-say/article_effc9496-4b70-5405-a4bf-ee802fa069f1.html

Comprehensive Illinois gun violence data 'unattainable,' state police say

Brenden Moore

SPRINGFIELD — When it comes to data on gun violence, the Illinois State Police and, by extension, state lawmakers and the general public are not getting the full picture, the agency candidly acknowledged in a report filed with the governor’s office and state legislature.

The data is required by law to be collected by the state police, reported annually to lawmakers and made available for the public to see on an online dashboard. It is the product of the Gun Trafficking Information Act, a provision tucked into a larger 2019 law that requires gun dealers to certify their federal license with the Illinois State Police.

But in the four years since the law was signed, the state’s top law enforcement agency is still in the dark, telling lawmakers in the February report that the “lack of a centralized and uniform data collection tool for use by all Illinois law enforcement agencies has made the collection and reporting of all mandated information unattainable.”

The agency has examined internal and external data sources, but differing records management, report writing and evidence management systems across state and local law enforcement agencies have resulted in “the collection of inconsistent, inaccurate, or non-translatable data,” the report states.

Putting aside the lack of information from local law enforcement, the state police acknowledged not even having a clear picture of their own data.

... according to the report, firearms offense information reported by the agency's division of patrol — the uniformed officers that patrol the state's roadways — is "not consistently collected and does not account for potential skewing of data," such as double-reporting of an offense. 

in a matter of months (ISP) will be charged with collecting even more firearms data as part of the semiautomatic weapons ban signed by Pritzker in January.

The state’s top law enforcement agency will be charged with maintaining a registry of serial numbers for assault-style weapons grandfathered under the law while providing statewide coordination and strategy pertaining to firearm-related intelligence, firearms trafficking interdiction and investigations.

Under the new law, ISP must outline a process for registration of grandfathered weapons by Oct. 1. Gun owners would then have until the end of the year to register their weapons. 

The agency, in a five-page document outlining its 2023 gun strategy, said it "expects to complete necessary system upgrades to comply" with the new law.

"The administration was an active partner in putting this important legislation together and I trust it will be a priority for the agency to meet its responsibilities under the law," Harmon said. "I look forward to hearing how it plans to do so during agency budget hearings."

3937RSGAEmail8092RSGAAttachISP CY22 Gun Trafficking Legislative Report updated.pdf

Sounds like ISP will need another billion or so to hire someone’s brother in law to fix this. No doubt that within 10 years they’ll need to add fees to the registration scheme to shore up all the problems left by the Chinese software bought by the brother in law and to fund the retirement accounts for the party members hired for their skill and computer expertise. Can’t wait until the data stolen. 

Looks like the murder and shot clock just jumped or I've been sleeping, it's gotten much better, I thought people were shot more often than every 4 hours and the murder was under 13 hours.   Maybe it slows. down beginning of every year when it's cold...

All I checked the wayback I must have been looking at the 2022 summary, here's a just from mid January.

Screenshot 2023-03-18 at 4.10.17 PM.png

On 3/18/2023 at 4:20 PM, mauserme said:

My understanding is the heyjackass.com reports on Chicago crime.  The point of the article is that ISP is unable to track statewide crime.  

Unable due to lack of political desire.   Violent crime data is available everywhere. 

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/il/crime  The vast majority of the gun crime is in the dem controlled s**tholes.

Dem lawmakers don't want that info out there.  They make it sound like gun violence is a state wide problem when the vast majority is concentrated in the s**tholes. 

On 3/18/2023 at 4:20 PM, mauserme said:

My understanding is the heyjackass.com reports on Chicago crime.  The point of the article is that ISP is unable to track statewide crime.  

What happened to the money they already received to do this? What was done with it? 
Did the state sweep the funds back into the general funds again? 

It reminds me of my own post in Judicial Second Amendment Case Discussion > Langley et al v Kelly - IL Gun/Magazine Ban

On 2/9/2023 at 10:23 PM, Euler said:

The plaintiffs FOIA'd the state to find any record of the criminal use of a revolving cylinder shotgun or a 50 BMG rifle. ISP has responded that no such records exist. On February 9, plaintiffs submit the absence of evidence as evidence that there were no such crimes.

ISP probably lacks all sorts of data on things that don't exist. So now they track firearm sales by FFLs and are dismayed that their data of FFL sales is insufficiently "comprehensive" to tell them how FFLs are connected to violence with firearms. An infinite amount of money to scrutinize FFLs down to the atomic level would not be enough to discern that.

On 3/18/2023 at 6:06 PM, Glock43 said:

Dear ISP,

My “Assault weapon” data is not centralized.  I will not be able to provide you a with a list of make/type/ serial numbers.

Thank you.

Mr. Law Abiding citizen

Have they even started getting the unconstitutional communist registration system going yet????? If its anything like FOID & CCL applications its already past time to file early to compensate for their incompetence.  

On 3/20/2023 at 9:52 AM, yurimodin said:

Have they even started getting the unconstitutional communist registration system going yet????? If its anything like FOID & CCL applications its already past time to file early to compensate for their incompetence.  

The ISP's track record would seem to indicate that it does not have the ability to get a scheme in place by the required Oct 1, 2023 date.

Archived