Firearms Industry Responsibility Act

mauserme

https://newschannel20.com/news/local/illinois-ag-issues-statement-on-president-bidens-executive-order-to-reduce-gun-violence

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (WICS) — Attorney General Kwame Raoul issued the following statement on President Joe Biden’s executive order intended to increase the number of background checks conducted prior to sales of firearms.

“In Illinois, I am initiating the Firearms Industry Responsibility Act, which I urge members of the General Assembly to support. The Firearms Industry Responsibility Act, or FIRA, will make clear that the Attorney General’s office can use Illinois’ Consumer Fraud and Deceptive Business Practices Act to take enforcement action against firearms dealers and manufacturers that engage in dangerous sales and marketing practices. We are talking about sales and marketing practices that are dangerous and harmful to the public, that unlawfully advertise in a manner appealing to children, or that encourage unlawful militia activity. FIRA would amend the Consumer Fraud and Deceptive Business Practices Act to clarify that such actions are violations of the law for which our office can seek monetary and injunctive relief.
“The Attorney General’s office regularly uses the Consumer Fraud and Deceptive Business Practices Act to hold businesses and individuals accountable for unfair and unlawful conduct that defrauds or misleads the people of Illinois. We have successfully used the law to establish industry-wide reforms, and hold opioid and e-cigarette manufacturers accountable for unlawful practices that have jeopardized the health and wellness of Illinois residents and their children. I am calling on the Legislature to pass the Firearms Industry Responsibility Act to clarify that our office can use that same authority to protect Illinois residents from the trauma of gun violence.”

I can't remember the last IL FFL that I saw ANY advertisement for, much less one that was targeting children or encouraging any kind of unlawful behavior.  Same goes for the IL-based manufacturers.  You pretty much already have to be looking for guns to see any such advertising.  Of course, this is Illinois where they'll manufacture some fake nonsense and make the law so sweeping that just putting a sign for your store out front counts as "encouraging unlawful activity" or some such.  I'm sure they'll stuff all the language onto some 3rd-reading shell-bill at the last minute, too!  I'll be keeping an eye out for the alert.

On 3/17/2023 at 10:00 PM, GunCollector said:

Isn’t it too late to introduce new legislation?  I thought that window closed last week.   They will come at us with all the tangential laws they can.  It will be never ending.  

Deadlines are by rule, rather than being a Constitutional requirement, so they can ignore them if they want.  Even though the deadline to introduce new bills was 2/17 and to get them out of committee was 3/10, a few new bills were filed this past week and there are bills posted to committees through next.

In addition to that, many shell bills are filed for the purpose of amending language into a bill that's positioned to move quickly.  By many, I mean HB49-HB988 filed by Speaker Welch and SB1-SB924 filed by Senate President Harmon as examples.

Archived