Anyone Planning a Suit in Cook?

Talonap

• Talonap changed the title to Anyone Planning a Suit in Cook?
On 2/7/2023 at 10:47 AM, DaveIL said:

We had a couple of the Carbines in stock at the "Stock & Field" before they ruined the store. but only Carbines.

Where is that located? (Don't know why I'm asking. We don't trust the car to go more than a block or two. Can't afford one yet anyway.) Not sure if the melting thing is just a Cook thing, or State-wide.

On 2/7/2023 at 11:02 AM, Talonap said:

Where is that located? (Don't know why I'm asking. We don't trust the car to go more than a block or two...) Not sure if the melting thing is just a Cook thing, or State-wide.

This a was a few years back, in McHenry, that store is gone, but someone grabbedthe franchise, and they call it Home&Hearth I think? Found it RP Home &Harvest.

https://www.homeandharvest.com/?fbclid=IwAR2kj_8OI9bSVa8l8GKl8Ozgze56xA3p1NWVxnRRtxauEPGu3c81oiEmssU

On 2/7/2023 at 11:11 AM, DaveIL said:

This a was a few years back, in McHenry, that store is gone, but someone grabbedthe franchise, and they call it Home&Hearth I think? Found it RP Home &Harvest.

https://www.homeandharvest.com/?fbclid=IwAR2kj_8OI9bSVa8l8GKl8Ozgze56xA3p1NWVxnRRtxauEPGu3c81oiEmssU

Thanks for the info! I can even buy chickens there! 😁

On 2/7/2023 at 11:46 AM, Upholder said:

Is this what you're looking for, as far as a lawsuit in Cook County?

Oh, you mean the one on which I commented. 🙄 Thanks for rreminding me of what I was doing. Only got three hours of sleep last night, so my, "Senior Moments", are a bit amplified today. Would this cover the, "Melting Point", thing?

On 2/7/2023 at 11:38 AM, Talonap said:

Especially that stupid, "Banned because it might melt ...", thingy. Anyone know if the Hi-Point Carbine is banned because of the, "Melting Point", or because it looks, "Evil"?

The melting point law is a state statute. I believe the receivers in High Point carbines are ZAMAK, so they would be banned for that reason. They're probably banned under the new AWB, too, because guns are bad.

On 2/7/2023 at 1:02 PM, Euler said:

The melting point law is a state statute. I believe the receivers in High Point carbines are ZAMAK, so they would be banned for that reason. They're probably banned under the new AWB, too, because guns are bad.

I actually thought the melting point was federal, cheap pot metal guns.   

Mix with muriatic acid and a match boom!  

On 2/7/2023 at 2:00 PM, DaveIL said:

Looks like second amendment sports in McHenry offers them. None in stock it shows.

https://shop.secondamendsports.com/rifles/semi-automatic-rifles?manufacturer=209&page=1

I know I've seen the carbines on shelf at JR's and maybe Megasports too.  Their .380 pistol was the best $70 gun I've ever purchased.  It's a tack driver that doesn't care what type of junk steel ammo I give it.  If worse came to worse, you can always throw it at your intended target.

On 2/7/2023 at 2:44 PM, SiliconSorcerer said:

I actually thought the melting point was federal, cheap pot metal guns.   

Mix with muriatic acid and a match boom!  

If the melting point law was federal, Hi Points would be illegal everywhere. The federal law you might be recalling is a law that prohibits importing small, low capacity handguns.

The motivation for both laws is the same: keep inexpensive firearms off the market, because criminals are very cost-conscious and buy all their firearms at gun stores. If criminals can't get cheap firearms legally, they'll give up their lives of crime and become honest.

On 2/7/2023 at 4:53 PM, JTHunter said:

Don't those Heritage Rough Rider revolvers have the same issue?

In 22LR, yes, and also the Ruger Wrangler, both have ZAMAK frames. The cylinders are still steel.

On 2/7/2023 at 4:53 PM, defaultdotxbe said:

Hi-Point carbines are banned by name in Cook County, and in the new state ban. I believe they also would be banned by features under both laws, so the melting point wouldn't even apply.

The melting point law predates them both, so prosecutors have more choice in how to charge you and the FFL who transferred a ZAMAK firearm to you.

On 2/7/2023 at 4:09 PM, Euler said:

The melting point law predates them both, so prosecutors have more choice in how to charge you and the FFL who transferred a ZAMAK firearm to you.

So it looks like the melting point law only applies to handguns, and not rifles like the Hi-Point Carbine. It also only applies to FFLs manufacturing or selling to non-FFLs, not mere possession by an individual, or to private sales.

(h) While holding any license as a dealer, importer, 

manufacturer or pawnbroker under the federal Gun Control Act of 1968, manufactures, sells or delivers to any unlicensed person a handgun having a barrel, slide, frame or receiver which is a die casting of zinc alloy or any other nonhomogeneous metal which will melt or deform at a temperature of less than 800 degrees Fahrenheit. For purposes of this paragraph, (1) "firearm" is defined as in the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act; and (2) "handgun" is defined as a firearm designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand, and includes a combination of parts from which such a firearm can be assembled.

Archived