Cabela’s in Indiana not selling standard mags to IL residents

steveTA84

On 2/7/2023 at 10:54 AM, mikew said:

Are there any of those even left at all, and do they sell guns?  or just gift cards for Camping World?

I found terms and conditions for firearms sales,
https://www.campingworld.com/terms-and-condition.html#:~:text=All firearms MUST be picked,and local laws may vary

Including this gem:

You understand that the firearm(s) you have purchased will be shipped to your local Gander Outdoors store or to an FFL dealer in the area. The firearm(s) must be paid for using a Credit Card under your name and must be picked up by (you) the purchaser with valid photo identification.

ie, no cash sales, so you must use a credit card code that says you bought something at a gun store?

But looking further, I couldn't find any firearms to buy.

Goodnight.

On 2/7/2023 at 11:07 AM, mikew said:

https://www.campingworld.com/terms-and-condition.html#:~:text=All firearms MUST be picked,and local laws may vary

Including this gem:

You understand that the firearm(s) you have purchased will be shipped to your local Gander Outdoors store or to an FFL dealer in the area. The firearm(s) must be paid for using a Credit Card under your name and must be picked up by (you) the purchaser with valid photo identification.

ie, no cash sales, so you must use a credit card code that says you bought something at a gun store?

Goodnight.

It used to be illegal for a business to not accept cash.

On 2/7/2023 at 11:07 AM, mikew said:

Including this gem:

Goodnight.

I wouldn't expect Gander to be using the gun store CC code since (I assume) most of their business is non-gun.

On 2/7/2023 at 7:06 PM, mikew said:

"This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private." Does it still say that? Yup.

Is it legal for businesses to deny the opportunity to be indebted to them?

It's legal for businesses to refuse cash. The phrase on the money just means that, if it accepts cash, it has to accept federal cash. It stems from a time when not all cash was federal cash. I suppose today it means that, if a US business accepts BitCoin, then it also has to accept Federal Reserve notes. I'm not sure if that's ever been tested.

On 2/7/2023 at 7:06 PM, mikew said:

"This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private." Does it still say that? Yup.

Is it legal for businesses to deny the opportunity to be indebted to them?

It has been quite a few years ago but the drivers license facility in Tilton would not accept cash for plates and registration.  IIRC it was to prevent theft, but they did change back to accepting cash.  Don't care what they take now that I live in Indiana.   Jim.

On 2/7/2023 at 3:50 PM, defaultdotxbe said:

I wouldn't expect Gander to be using the gun store CC code since (I assume) most of their business is non-gun.

We were told the big boxes would need two separate codes. Gun area would have their own credit card code, the balance of the store would use sporting goods or whatever the primary sales item was. 

On 2/7/2023 at 11:22 AM, Jeffrey said:

I do miss the Gander Mountain that used to be in Geneva.

I miss Galyan's.  I bought my first gun there.  Unfortunately they got bought out by Dick's Sporting Goods many years ago, and Dick's is now rabidly anti-gun.  (I even bought a gun at Dick's years ago when they were not anti-gun.)

There is a difference between Cabela's (which is lukewarm and over-conservative in their policies in an effort to not accidentally run afoul of Illinois laws) and Dick's (which actively donates to anti-gun groups and has embraced woke-ism).  Cabela's position is annoying, but I understand their reasoning.  They have stores in Illinois and cannot afford to piss off the Illinois government.  

I will shop at Cabela's, but will avoid Dick's. 

On 2/10/2023 at 7:32 AM, Xwing said:

I bought my first gun at Gander Mountain.  Unfortunately they got bought out by Dick's Sporting Goods many years ago, and Dick's is now rabidly anti-gun.  (I even bought a gun at Dick's years ago when they were not anti-gun.)

There is a difference between Cabela's (which is lukewarm and over-conservative in their policies in an effort to not accidentally run afoul of Illinois laws) and Dick's (which actively donates to anti-gun groups and has embraced woke-ism).  Cabela's position is annoying, but I understand their reasoning.  They have stores in Illinois and cannot afford to piss off the Illinois government.  

I will shop at Cabela's, but will avoid Dick's. 

Gander was bought by camping world. They aren't anti gun, they are pro growing a business and firearms weren't worth the hassle was the way I heard it. 

On 2/10/2023 at 11:14 AM, davel501 said:

Gander was bought by camping world. They aren't anti gun, they are pro growing a business and firearms weren't worth the hassle was the way I heard it. 

You're right.  I got the names confused, b/c I'd also bought firearm related things at Gander Mountain in the past as well.  So many places that I liked which are gone...  😥

Updated my post. :)

On 2/10/2023 at 10:35 AM, Xwing said:

You're right.  I got the names confused, b/c I'd also bought firearm related things at Gander Mountain in the past as well.  So many places that I liked which are gone...  😥

Updated my post. :)

They grabbed up Overton's too. They can sell you a camper, a boat to drag behind it and outfit the whole thing for whatever you want to do then finance it all. 

On 2/10/2023 at 10:35 AM, Xwing said:

I spent so many weekends at the 'original' Gander Mountain in Wilmot, Wisconsin, can't say I ever bought a gun from them as I was too young for many of those visits and the transfer to an IL FFL wasn't appealing once I did come of age, but I did buy a ton of fishing and outdoor gear there and some ammo once I came of age.  My dad did make several firearm purchases from them though so I remember spending a lot of time at the gun counter.  I do remember gazing in wonder at the Desert Eagle .50 Action Express when it first came out 🤣 I can still picture the exact display case and shelf and where it was located in the store!

On 2/10/2023 at 10:50 AM, davel501 said:

They grabbed up Overton's too. They can sell you a camper, a boat to drag behind it and outfit the whole thing for whatever you want to do then finance it all. 

Part of the reason for that was so they could reenter the online sales market.

Gander had made a hot mess of their online presence and had sold their online business to Cabela's.
The terms of the agreement prohibited their rentry , but they skated back in with Overton's.

I would hope IL gun owners would try to support local FFL Dealers right now but I am not sure if that is happening. Most, if not all FFL Dealers have joined or contributed to organizations in this lawsuit. I am betting only about 15% of the gun owning population wants to contribute in some way, while the others are waiting back in the coattails. Who are these coattails, pretty much most of Chicago/Cook County. I say that and I live & conduct business in Cook County. 🤦‍♂️

Archived