Cabela’s in Indiana not selling standard mags to IL residents

steveTA84

Cabela's has stores in Illinois. As a multi-state corporation, the corporation is the entity actually selling the magazine. That could cause difficulties for corporate with Illinois. 

I believe that would be what their lawyers are telling them. I could be wrong. Buying in person from a Cabelas much farther away probably would not a problem. 

It will be a real shame if people stop shopping at Cabelas over this kind of crap.

They need to be careful that they also don’t piss off people in other states with that as well. 

Hmmmm,  now you have a situation where you, an Indiana resident, and others, are now required to present ID to make a purchase for something that is a constitutional right. Because they, a corporation, are trying to enforce an Illinois law, or at least not get sucked into it?

On 2/5/2023 at 8:52 PM, mab22 said:

Hmmmm,  now you have a situation where you, an Indiana resident, and others, are now required to present ID to make a purchase for something that is a constitutional right. Because they, a corporation, are trying to enforce an Illinois law, or at least not get sucked into it?

When being an IL resident becomes the crime ....

On 2/5/2023 at 3:52 PM, mab22 said:

It will be a real shame if people stop shopping at Cabelas over this kind of crap.

They need to be careful that they also don’t piss off people in other states with that as well. 

Maybe just give your business to a LGS instead.  

My guess is they will be more likely to want the sale. 

On 2/5/2023 at 8:18 PM, Lou said:

Maybe just give your business to a LGS instead.  

My guess is they will be more likely to want the sale. 

Seeing as how we all have dual citizenship, State Citizen and Federal Citizen, I should be allowed to buy what ever I want in another state. 
From the encyclopedia Britannica. 
https://www.britannica.com/topic/commerce-clause/Interpretation-of-the-commerce-clause-in-United-States-Supreme-Court-cases
Not allowing us to purchase stuff out of state effects the firearms and firearm accessory market in multiple states.

In 2005, however, the Court held in Gonzales v. Raich that enforcement of the federal Controlled Substances Act (1970) against the intrastate noncommercial possession, production, and use of medical cannabis (medical marijuana) in compliance with a California state law was consistent with the commerce clause because such activities could substantially affect the supply of and demand for marijuana in the illicit interstate market

On 2/5/2023 at 7:52 PM, mab22 said:

I think the ID is for making sure you are not an Illinois resident.  Not to be able to purchase.  

I suspect a lot of border stores are going to be scared and compelled into enforcing IL law, especially those like Cabela's that have Illinois stores.

I also suspect just like buying ammo out of state, the further away from the border you get the less they care to the point they don't care one hoot and say they feel sorry for you.  I bought some ammo at a farm supply store North of Milwaukee during the Obama shortage, they didn't even ask for ID, not even to prove my age.

This really is a one-sided proposition. Cabela's doesn't care if you shop there or not. They don't need or want your money. There's literally no way for you to do anything that would get them to care about how unhappy you are. I live relatively close to the one in Hammond and I don't see a benefit in shopping there. 

So long as people keep shopping for crappy flannels and fishing rods, corporate probably doesn't give two poops about us.  I'd imagine a few Indianians might get annoyed they have to prove they aren't from Illinois to the point they shop elsewhere.  IMO, F every big box store.  None of them have ever properly stated support for us that I'm aware of.  Stick with the LGS and support your neighbors.

I was waiting in line to buy ammo there when bam-ba-lam whoa half black barry got elected the first time. Cashier was asking for phone numbers of everyone buying ammo. Every person with an illinois area code then got asked for their foid followed by if this was ammo for a rifle or a pistol. THe line was very long and I spotted the pattern. People were saying they didn't have an account there or whatever trying to get around the foid check so the cashier asks for their home or cell # and they'd out themselves. Soooo....figure it out yourselves.

Would seem to me that IF you are going across the border instead of purchasing what you can locally to help fight against the new laws, maybe you just don't care enough.  Paying an extra buck or 10 to try to get our god given rights back would seem reasonable to me.  circumventing the laws isn't what we need, we need to keep businesses open until we get our rights back not help them close!

On 2/6/2023 at 2:47 PM, jim123 said:

So if they gave an Indiana area code, nothing happened. Sale went on like normal. Guess that's how they got away with asking where Indiana residents lived without asking for ID...because of illinois people.

They must changed that policy at some point and would just ask me for ID right away when I bought ammo, then when I show an IL ID ask for the FOID. As such it should come as no surprise they won't sell mags to IL residents.

I honestly don't think I've bought ammo there since moving to IN 3 years ago so I don't know if they still did ammo that way too.

I was very excited when our Hoffman Estates store opened, stopped in often. They started having some trouble.shut down their second story floor. Then the gun department shrank and Bass pro bought them. Gun library went to heck and I stopped going. Went back a year ago to buy a boat and that was a train wreck, purchased else where. They can close rfor all I care.

LGSs have opened everything now with great indoor ranges and training. 

This is common from any big box store from our bordering states for firearms and mags, ammo.

In fact it has been that way for years.  Trying to skirt the law, is still trying to skirt the law, like it or not. While you might be willing to, most businesses that deal with or are in IL as well are not going to do something dumb. 

On 2/7/2023 at 7:25 AM, steveTA84 said:

Bass Pro completely killed the gun dept.

Bass Pro killed Cabela's.

I've been shopping Cabela's since 1997 when I found them to have the very best winter and wet weather outerwear available. REI and Eddie Bauer had already turned into stores focused on fashion rather than function. Though they are now the same company, Cabela's was always superior. Bass Pro was at it's very best as the coolest little fishing tackle shack in Springfield, MO.

Cheers,

Tim

Archived