Florida Could Make the US a Constitutional Carry-Majority

mauserme

https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-bill-could-gun-owners-huge-win-us-constitutional-carry-majority-country

Florida bill could hand gun owners huge win, make the US a constitutional carry-majority country

By Emma Colton | Fox News

Florida lawmakers introduced legislation on Monday to allow people to carry a concealed firearm without having to get a government-issued permit – a move that could make the majority of U.S. states permitless-carry territory.

"Our right to bear arms, of course, is enshrined in the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution," Republican state Rep. Chuck Brannan said during a press conference in Tallahassee. "The bill that I will file later today continues to advance Second Amendment freedoms through legislation known as ‘constitutional carry.’"

The bill would allow lawful gun owners in the state to carry without asking the government for a permit and without paying a fee. Those who wish to still obtain a permit can do so if the bill becomes law. The bill would also not change who can and cannot carry a firearm.

There are currently 25 states that have constitutional carry or permitless carry laws on the books, meaning Florida could tip the U.S. into becoming a constitutional carry-majority nation.

The bill would also not change who can and cannot carry a firearm.

This bill appears to allow Illinoisans without a Florida Non-Resident CCP to carry in Florida.

HB 543: Concealed Carry of Weapons and Firearms Without a License

Concealed Carry of Weapons and Firearms Without a License; Authorizes person to carry concealed weapon or concealed firearm if he or she is licensed to do so or meets specified requirements; requires person who is carrying concealed weapon or concealed firearm without license to carry identification & display upon demand by law enforcement; prohibits person who is carrying concealed weapon or concealed firearm without license from carrying such weapon or firearm in specified locations; authorizes nonresident to carry concealed weapon or concealed firearm in this state if he or she meets same requirements as resident; provides person authorized to carry concealed weapon or concealed firearm without license is subject to specified penalties for possessing such weapon or firearm at school-sponsored event or on school property.

Cheers,

Tim

On 1/31/2023 at 7:06 AM, Caveman2021 said:

i think all states outside of north Dakota allow this

Florida has always had Reciprocity, but only with states which honor the Florida Resident Permit. Illinois does not, so Illinois CCL holders may not carry in Florida without the additional Florida Non-Resident Permit. It appears the new Florida law will change that...

Cheers,

Tim

On 1/31/2023 at 12:45 PM, yurimodin said:

My driver's license works in every state why doesn't my CCW?????? Especially now that Bruen nuked the 2-step nonsense.

Driver's licenses are example of voluntary reciprocity working the way it should, but CCW never did work that way. Whether Bruen will change that is too early to tell, we are still waiting on the cases that got GVR'd to be decided again, let alone any new cases.

On 1/31/2023 at 1:23 PM, defaultdotxbe said:

Driver's licenses are example of voluntary reciprocity working the way it should, but CCW never did work that way. Whether Bruen will change that is too early to tell, we are still waiting on the cases that got GVR'd to be decided again, let alone any new cases.

Full faith and credit clause 

On 1/31/2023 at 1:55 PM, yurimodin said:

Full faith and credit clause 

There are multiple interstate compacts regulating driver's license reciprocity.

The full faith and credit clause is in respect to records, not licenses. It would apply to using a DL as identification in another state, but not as a license to operate a motor vehicle. 

On 1/31/2023 at 6:00 PM, mauserme said:

Rather than drawing analogies to licensing schemes that didn't exist at the time of the founding, I like to put a majority of states with unregulated carry together with equal protection, and let my mind wander a bit.

On this, the 2nd and carry is a civil right, a civil right like all others that absolutely should not end at that state line, we need to skip past permission slip reciprocity (history and tradition does not support this kind of permission slip legislation) and attack it under the 2nd and 14th combined with Bruen's test for any state that denies the right to be exercised equally by resident and non-resident alike.

As I keep saying post Bruen we need to adjust our mindset, we are so conditioned that we need permission slips and that we have to compromise with the state, that we don't even fully consider the 2nd a full fledged civil right yet that should be treated at minimum like other civil rights like those found in the 1st.

• 2 months later...
On 1/31/2023 at 6:00 PM, mauserme said:

Rather than drawing analogies to licensing schemes that didn't exist at the time of the founding, I like to put a majority of states with unregulated carry together with equal protection, and let my mind wander a bit.

Looks like Florida passed it, now what? 
Illinois doesn’t care what the rest of the country is doing, we still have FOID requirements, and it doesn’t look like it’s a priority in this state to get rid of an incumbrance to 1 of your rights. 🤷‍♂️
https://www.zerohedge.com/political/florida-gov-ron-desantis-makes-florida-permitless-carry-state

A bill allowing individuals to carry concealed firearms without a permit was signed into law by Florida Governor Ron DeSantis on Monday.

The governor's office confirmed DeSantis' signing in this press release:

Today, Governor Ron DeSantis signed House Bill (HB) 543 which strengthens Floridians' Second Amendment rights by allowing Floridians to carry concealed weapons without a government-issued permit. HB 543 goes into effect on July 1, 2023, making Florida the 26th state to enact Constitutional Carry legislation.

On 4/4/2023 at 11:06 AM, dukemason said:

Does anyone know if Florida will be recognizing Illinois permits now?

My understanding is that the requirement limiting recognition of carry licenses to states that honor Florida's license has been removed.  But it's kind of moot because, as of 7/1/2023,  non-residents can carry in Florida without a permit if they meet the same requirements as residents.

On 4/4/2023 at 11:06 AM, dukemason said:

Does anyone know if Florida will be recognizing Illinois permits now?

The short answer is NO, Florida will not recognize an Illinois License To Carry.

Reciprocity is an "I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine"  agreement between two states to recognize each others permit. Some states recognize valid permits from any states. Illinois does not recognize the permits of any other state nor enter into reciprocity agreements. Illinois will allow residents of certain states to obtain an Illinois Non-Resident License. These states must be substantially similar to Illinois in the way they report certain things that may affect eligibility for possessing a firearm... mental health, criminal activity, orders of protection etc... you could look that part up for better accuracy.

Constitutional Carry states allow anyone who is eligible to legally possess a firearm to carry a concealed firearm. Reciprocity and recognition no longer come into play.

Florida will soon become Constitutional Carry State #26.

Cheers,

Tim

Edited by soundguy

On 4/9/2023 at 8:55 AM, soundguy said:

The short answer is NO, Florida will not recognize an Illinois License To Carry.

Reciprocity is an "I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine"  agreement between two states to recognize each others permit. Some states recognize valid permits from any states. Illinois does not recognize the permits of any other state nor enter into reciprocity agreements. Illinois will allow residents of certain states to obtain an Illinois Non-Resident License. These states must be substantially similar to Illinois in the way they report certain things that may affect eligibility for possessing a firearm... mental health, criminal activity, orders of protection etc... you could look that part up for better accuracy.

Constitutional Carry states allow anyone who is eligible to legally possess a firearm to carry a concealed firearm. Reciprocity and recognition no longer come into play.

Florida will soon become Constitutional Carry State #26.

Cheers,

Tim

The synopsis includes one of the changes to existing Florida law as:

31  ... removing a
32 requirement that limits recognition of concealed
33 firearm licenses to those states that honor Florida
34 concealed weapon or concealed firearm licenses ...

That change is made on page 24 of the enrolled bill.

So, today, it's correct to say that they do not but that will change as of 7/1/2023, both because the mutual recognition requirement has been removed and because a carry permit won't be necessary in Florida.

On 4/9/2023 at 10:24 AM, mauserme said:

So, today, it's correct to say that they do not but that will change as of 7/1/2023, both because the mutual recognition requirement has been removed and because a carry permit won't be necessary in Florida.

IMO, this is the way it should be for all states.

Cheers,

Tim