Check this video of sheriffs today.

DaveIL

The pols who passed this law are not interested if it’s constitutional. Get it on the books and let us spin like tops for years figuring it out. they are playing the long game and spending taxpayer money to implement it, with voter support. When the ISP/ATF come crashing through the frt door try calling your sheriff for help. They will not aid in the enforcement, but I’m confident they’re not riding to our rescue.  So I’m sending checks, hoping for the best but preparing for what I fear is inevitable. Until the last highest court rules strict controls on MSAs unconstitutional, we are nowhere.

On 1/29/2023 at 4:40 AM, lilguy said:

The pols who passed this law are not interested if it’s constitutional. Get it on the books and let us spin like tops for years figuring it out. they are playing the long game and spending taxpayer money to implement it, with voter support. When the ISP/ATF come crashing through the frt door try calling your sheriff for help. They will not aid in the enforcement, but I’m confident they’re not riding to our rescue.  So I’m sending checks, hoping for the best but preparing for what I fear is inevitable. Until the last highest court rules strict controls on MSAs unconstitutional, we are nowhere.

ATF isn't going to enforce state law, and no one is going to be kicking doors for non-violent infractions. 

In committee, concern was expressed that this law would be used primarily to target people of color.   Imagine ISP working with Sheriff Dart to prove that prediction correct, because without most of the other sheriffs' cooperation, it will be unenforceable almost everywhere except Cook County.

On 1/29/2023 at 2:06 PM, Dumak_from_arfcom said:

Idleburg stated not only will he enforce the ban, he stated that he wants a complete ban. The moms also get him elected over Curran with a ballot harvesting operation.  He has to pay them back.

He did say he wanted to do a town hall on the subject. I'm keeping an eye out for that. My first question will be why does he have so many if they are only for killing people. 

On 1/29/2023 at 2:42 PM, davel501 said:

He did say he wanted to do a town hall on the subject. I'm keeping an eye out for that. My first question will be why does he have so many if they are only for killing people. 

How many Lake County constituents have forgotten their ancestors (or neighbors' ancestors) who were disarmed, held prisoner in terrible conditions, starved to death, or murdered? AND if they called the former POTUS "literally Hitler", why would they deny others the tools needed to oppose a similar oppressor? 

How many immigrants from oppressive regimes do Lake County Karens know who fled murderous regimes and want their 2nd Amendment rights intact?

I'm guessing the answer is zero.

On 1/29/2023 at 2:42 PM, davel501 said:

More pointedly, ask why does his department ISSUE them to the officers in his employ if they are weapons of war, useful only for killing many people very quickly.  Who is he at war with?

On 1/29/2023 at 7:25 PM, Upholder said:

More pointedly, ask why does his department ISSUE them to the officers in his employ if they are weapons of war, useful only for killing many people very quickly.  Who is he at war with?

I was thinking something along that line with a finish move of "I mean, you're the sheriff. You could have updated the policy with a simple email at any time and they'd be gone already."

On 1/29/2023 at 6:15 PM, mikew said:

Do you have a cite?

Chicago affiliates ABC, NBC, CBS and I believe WGN reported it on their nightly news.  There was a long statement that was released but I don't see it on the LCSO website.  I also believe there was a short statement on twitter?  Or maybe facebook. 

https://www.1023xlc.com/lake-county-sheriff-says-he-supports-will-support-new-assault-weapons-ban-in-illinois/

There is a DailyKaren article on it behind a paywall..

https://www.dailyherald.com/news/20230111/northern-illinois-sheriffs-announce-they-wont-enforce-firearms-ban

Archived