update on new FOID Card Review Board

My office had a long talk with the Interim Executive Director of the new FOID Card Review Board (FOIDRB) and the Deputy Chief Legal Counsel yesterday to discuss plans in place and lots of possible loose ends. As I know a lot of you are anxious about next steps for pending FOID 'informal' appeals (which are now officially called requests for relief), here are some of my notes:

• they will enforce the 60 day deadline to submit a request for relief from when you receive notice of the FOID revocation or denial
  • if you blow the 60 day deadline, they can reset the portal and you can reapply, get a new denial, and THEN file a request for relief. In other words, blowing the deadline isn't fatal, just a small inconvenience
  • if you submit the request for relief after the 60 day deadline (but before you reset the portal and reapply), they will hold your documents for up to 180 days so you don't have to resubmit
  • check out the new portion of ISP's website specific to the FOIDRB. New forms there, and updated checklists
  • personal statements no longer need to be notarized, but letters of recommendation will continue to require it
  • if the FOIDRB believes they don't have enough information, they will notify an applicant that they can request a hearing. There are no longer any administrative hearings before an Administrative Law Judge - you will be presenting to the FOIDRB
  • the FOIDRB finally has a quorum, and ISP is busy working to get equipment out to everyone. There is a meeting coming up. Required to have them quarterly, but assumption is the FOIDRB will want to have them much more frequently (similar to CCLRB)
  • revocations / denials for mental health admissions over 5 years are much easier. Although the statute/rules already tell us this, it really helps to hear it from Department personnel: just apply again with a new mental health certification. Should not be any analysis, just a rubber stamp ASSUMING your MH certification is good and god like. If they have questions, they will reach out to the signer to confirm. It is not unknown to see someone signing a MH certification answer all questions "Yes this person is good" and then handwrite something in about how they're not sure a gun is a good idea. Weird, but I've personally seen that. ISP will confirm which opinion the signer meant to convey. If unsure or not crystal clear, they'll deny.
  • may have a new firearm disposition record form coming (and new or eliminated affidavit of surrender) after we pointed out at least one issue with that
  • FOIDRB likely won't require a form currently called 'CCL Request for Administrative Review' when you're appealing a FOID revocation and you also lost your CCL at the same time. Should be more automatic; once FOID (re)issues, CCL would too
  • (quite a few other details that I need to keep confidential as they specifically impact our dozens of pending informal appeals)

Hope this helps, as it truly seems that ISP is working hard to make this transition quickly. They know that the statute/rules now have specific timelines on how long the FOIDRB can take to review an application/request for relief. I'm putting this out there as an FYI - I cannot comment on anything specific, but if you have a GENERAL question, I can try to answer it.

Edited by FredNickl

Thank you!

Do you know if anything changes to revocations due to the C&PD from over 5 years ago? 

I sent in my paperwork and doctor sent in 5 or more years mental health certification  to ISP in October, should I just apply for FOID again? Or continue to wait? I received this email from ISP yesterday, in response to my email asking for any updates that I sent in December.  

Thank you!

13DC1C59-A73F-4182-A96B-47DC7373B833.jpeg

On 1/25/2023 at 9:36 AM, AlexK said:

Thank you!

Do you know if anything changes to revocations due to the C&PD from over 5 years ago? 

I sent in my paperwork and doctor sent in 5 or more years mental health certification  to ISP in October, should I just apply for FOID again? Or continue to wait? I received this email from ISP yesterday, in response to my email asking for any updates that I sent in December.  

Thank you!

Depends. If the revocation notice issued within the past 5 years, it should not matter whether the C&PD report was generated by a law enforcement officer more than 5 years ago - you still need a forensic evaluation. If the revocation notice itself issued to you MORE than 5 years ago, then that is a unique situation and the rule does not specify. I would say that you only need to reapply and include a mental health certification, but you'd want to get an opinion from ISP Legal first.

On 1/25/2023 at 9:42 AM, FredNickl said:

Depends. If the revocation notice issued within the past 5 years, it should not matter whether the C&PD report was generated by a law enforcement officer more than 5 years ago - you still need a forensic evaluation. If the revocation notice itself issued to you MORE than 5 years ago, then that is a unique situation and the rule does not specify. I would say that you only need to reapply and include a mental health certification, but you'd want to get an opinion from ISP Legal first.

Thank you.

Revocation was issued in August after the Highland Park shooting. 
C&PD was report was generated more than 5 years ago. 

On 1/25/2023 at 9:45 AM, AlexK said:

Thank you.

Revocation was issued in August after the Highland Park shooting. 
C&PD was report was generated more than 5 years ago. 

CORRECTION - I was wrong! I just talked to ISP, and the advice is this: If the C&PD report is from more than 5 years ago, you do NOT need a forensic eval even if they only notified you recently of the revocation. All you need is the 1 page mental health certification. I've got that in writing from ISP now (they had interpreted that different ways over the years but this is official). Therefore, in your particular case it sounds like you submitted the right thing and just need to be patient while the transition your appeal over to the FOIDRB, which should grant the appeal. Only unknown is timing.

On 1/25/2023 at 12:28 PM, FredNickl said:

CORRECTION - I was wrong! I just talked to ISP, and the advice is this: If the C&PD report is from more than 5 years ago, you do NOT need a forensic eval even if they only notified you recently of the revocation. All you need is the 1 page mental health certification. I've got that in writing from ISP now (they had interpreted that different ways over the years but this is official). Therefore, in your particular case it sounds like you submitted the right thing and just need to be patient while the transition your appeal over to the FOIDRB, which should grant the appeal. Only unknown is timing.

I appreciate your response! 

On 1/25/2023 at 3:44 PM, John Q Public said:

None of this was done for us, it was done to try and help them when it comes time to go to court.

Maybe. But in the meantime, it certainly helps my clients. The strict deadlines under which the FOIDRB is to issue decisions is a game changer for anyone that's been waiting a long time to learn if their appeal is granted or not.

No counselor, you should/must use any and all weapons available to further your clients agenda; As is your duty....

I was speaking to the context and timing of these changes which should have been made years ago. It's a ploy to make it look, less burdensome, to the courts, and remove some of the, more obvious, infringements and legal arguments, for constitutionality. 

You be you Fred, this was in no way directed at your advocacy,  for your client.  ;)

JQ

Edited by John Q Public

The problem with the written word is everyone reads in their personal perceptions/feelings, and why the law needs to be so detailed.

What I meant to say, in layman terms, was you do what you need to do, and no reason need be given... the only reason I said that was because you said it was good for your client, but that should go without saying, but for us non lawyers. :P

I understand and thank you for the info, but there was no intention of slight, or defamation. 

JQ

PS There is no such thing as being. "to aggressive, with regards to your avocation for your client.None of this was done for us, it was done to try and help them when we take them to court over constitutionality.

I hope we can rest here.....

J

Edited by John Q Public

On 1/25/2023 at 8:44 AM, FredNickl said:

My office had a long talk with the Interim Executive Director of the new FOID Card Review Board (FOIDRB) and the Deputy Chief Legal Counsel yesterday to discuss plans in place and lots of possible loose ends. As I know a lot of you are anxious about next steps for pending FOID 'informal' appeals (which are now officially called requests for relief), here are some of my notes:

• they will enforce the 60 day deadline to submit a request for relief from when you receive notice of the FOID revocation or denial
  • if you blow the 60 day deadline, they can reset the portal and you can reapply, get a new denial, and THEN file a request for relief. In other words, blowing the deadline isn't fatal, just a small inconvenience
  • if you submit the request for relief after the 60 day deadline (but before you reset the portal and reapply), they will hold your documents for up to 180 days so you don't have to resubmit
  • check out the new portion of ISP's website specific to the FOIDRB. New forms there, and updated checklists
  • personal statements no longer need to be notarized, but letters of recommendation will continue to require it
  • if the FOIDRB believes they don't have enough information, they will notify an applicant that they can request a hearing. There are no longer any administrative hearings before an Administrative Law Judge - you will be presenting to the FOIDRB
  • the FOIDRB finally has a quorum, and ISP is busy working to get equipment out to everyone. There is a meeting coming up. Required to have them quarterly, but assumption is the FOIDRB will want to have them much more frequently (similar to CCLRB)
  • revocations / denials for mental health admissions over 5 years are much easier. Although the statute/rules already tell us this, it really helps to hear it from Department personnel: just apply again with a new mental health certification. Should not be any analysis, just a rubber stamp ASSUMING your MH certification is good and god like. If they have questions, they will reach out to the signer to confirm. It is not unknown to see someone signing a MH certification answer all questions "Yes this person is good" and then handwrite something in about how they're not sure a gun is a good idea. Weird, but I've personally seen that. ISP will confirm which opinion the signer meant to convey. If unsure or not crystal clear, they'll deny.
  • may have a new firearm disposition record form coming (and new or eliminated affidavit of surrender) after we pointed out at least one issue with that
  • FOIDRB likely won't require a form currently called 'CCL Request for Administrative Review' when you're appealing a FOID revocation and you also lost your CCL at the same time. Should be more automatic; once FOID (re)issues, CCL would too
  • (quite a few other details that I need to keep confidential as they specifically impact our dozens of pending informal appeals)

Hope this helps, as it truly seems that ISP is working hard to make this transition quickly. They know that the statute/rules now have specific timelines on how long the FOIDRB can take to review an application/request for relief. I'm putting this out there as an FYI - I cannot comment on anything specific, but if you have a GENERAL question, I can try to answer it.

I had a voluntary hospitalization well over 5 yrs ago.  Before my 5 yrs was up I applied for a FOID and was of course denied so it was well over 60 days. September 8, 2022 I saw a Dr. Brenzinger who evaluated me and the ISP received all documents and forms via USPS on September 14th, 2022. Will I have to resubmit. I kind of get what you’re saying, but could you be a bit specific regarding my case? I know your time is valuable, and I am willing to pay for said time in answering my questions. Thank you -Cory F

Edited by CFREUND01

On 1/25/2023 at 6:23 PM, CFREUND01 said:

I had a voluntary hospitalization well over 5 yrs ago.  Before my 5 yrs was up I applied for a FOID and was of course denied so it was well over 60 days. September 8, 2022 I saw a Dr. Brenzinger who evaluated me and the ISP received all documents and forms via USPS on September 14th, 2022. Will I have to resubmit. I kind of get what you’re saying, but could you be a bit specific regarding my case? I know your time is valuable, and I am willing to pay for said time in answering my questions. Thank you -Cory F

I responded privately.

On 1/27/2023 at 7:58 PM, chicity said:

Hi,

I submitted an appeal back in September for a 15 year old Class 4 Possession of a Controlled substance. Will a decision possibly be made when the new board is formed? 

Thank you! 

I am told enough foid review board members have been appointed for a quorum. This is all new so we don't know how long it will take for them to start reviewing appeals or how long it will take then to issue decisions. 

Providing updates hasn't been their custom prior to the review board but maybe that's something they'll consider. 

On 2/1/2023 at 5:31 PM, Needanswertoquestionmoving said:

I am in the same boat, I actually just texted Dr. Brenzinger today to ask him what is going on, can you let me know as well whether I have to resubmit? (almost exactly the same, had my form sent in august)

Call and leave him a message. He’ll explain. He’s a good guy and will spend time with you on phone. Our appeals don’t go to the new board etc etc etc. If yours is also for Hospital Stay more than 5 yrs. We have to wait for ISP. Shouldn’t have to resubmit or get retested- they have the necessary paperwork. If he tells you differently than what he told me please let me know.  You can message and get my cell # if you want to share updates. 
cheers

-Cory

Edited by CFREUND01

On 2/1/2023 at 6:05 PM, CFREUND01 said:

Call and leave him a message. He’ll explain. He’s a good guy and will spend time with you on phone. Our appeals don’t go to the new board etc etc etc. If yours is also for Hospital Stay more than 5 yrs. We have to wait for ISP. Shouldn’t have to resubmit or get retested- they have the necessary paperwork. If he tells you differently than what he told me please let me know.  You can message and get my cell # if you want to share updates. 
cheers

-Cory

Ok, awesome yeah he said they're just being slow. Just misunderstood the OP I guess. Kinda strangely ironic it sounds like the reviews for our appeals may take longer than other appeals that might be more serious in gravity with more factors to consider. I guess that's Illinois though lol.

On 2/1/2023 at 6:15 PM, Needanswertoquestionmoving said:

Ok, awesome yeah he said they're just being slow. Just misunderstood the OP I guess. Kinda strangely ironic it sounds like the reviews for our appeals may take longer than other appeals that might be more serious in gravity with more factors to consider. I guess that's Illinois though lol.

You’re about at that 6 month mark. Let me know when your appeal goes through; mine should be right behind yours hopefully. 
Cheers

-Cory

A tweak from ISP to my original post above:

for mental health or clear and present danger over five years, as long as you have an application on file, you can simply submit the mental health certification and you will be approved. If you have no application on file or an expired card, then you do need to reset the portal and reapply. This should make it easier for anyone with over 5 years prohibitors.

Good info thanks.

On 2/9/2023 at 9:09 AM, FredNickl said:

A tweak from ISP to my original post above:

for mental health or clear and present danger over five years, as long as you have an application on file, you can simply submit the mental health certification and you will be approved. If you have no application on file or an expired card, then you do need to reset the portal and reapply. This should make it easier for anyone with over 5 years prohibitors.

What is the best way to submit the certification?