Caulkins v Prizker Recusal Thread

mauserme

On 5/19/2023 at 6:45 PM, steveTA84 said:

GSL made it super easy to file complaints with the IL Judiciary Inquiry Board to get Rochford and O’Brien removed 

https://www.gunssavelife.com/take-bold-action-file-your-complaint-with-the-illinois-judicial-inquiry-board/

Is there a way to FOIA how many complaints have been filed to date (especially if they have been closed, dismissed, or "lost"? 

https://www.thecentersquare.com/illinois/article_244b63da-f68f-11ed-a8a0-d7ae25baa649.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

With the Illinois Supreme Court considering the constitutional challenge to the state’s gun and magazine ban, concerns around judicial integrity persist.

Last year, two sitting Illinois’ Supreme Court justices were candidates for the bench when they each received $1 million to their campaign committees from Gov. J.B. Pritzker. After the election and now on the bench, Justices Elizabeth Rochford and Mary O’Brien denied a motion for their recusal in the gun ban challenge brought against Pritzker by state Rep. Dan Caulkins, R-Decatur.

The court could rule on the gun ban challenge in the weeks ahead.

“If we see how the ruling is and the ruling is adverse, we just have to measure and evaluate at that time,” Stocks said.

He stood by his complaint in the recusal motion and suggested he could seek a challenge in the federal courts based on previous U.S. Supreme Court precedent.

“And [the 2009 Caperton v. Massey U.S. Supreme Court case] says that a court of review must accord due process in the context of freedom of bias and prejudice in an issue, or appearance of it,” Stocks said.

On 5/20/2023 at 11:58 AM, steveTA84 said:

Not finding a contact that deals with it, so unsure 

I happen to know that some complaint forms were mailed in several weeks ago, FWIW. It would be interesting if they claimed the complaints were "never received".

Edited by RECarry

On 5/22/2023 at 2:44 PM, Upholder said:

Anything that you want to ensure they cannot later claim was "never received" should be Certified mail, signature required.

Good point.  For privacy reasons, one might consider using the return address of a neighbor who had displayed Rochford/O'Brien/Pritzker yard signs. 🙂

Edited by RECarry

• 2 weeks later...

Rochford and O’Brien now under attack from U of I student watchdogs and the fact that lots of their campaign donations are not easily found (who gave money and such). Horrible transparency 

https://cu-citizenaccess.org/2023/06/pritzker-lawyers-and-insurers-helped-finance-illinois-supreme-court-elections-but-transparency-lacking-for-many-other-donors/

On 6/8/2023 at 5:45 PM, steveTA84 said:

Rochford and O’Brien now under attack from U of I student watchdogs and the fact that lots of their campaign donations are not easily found (who gave money and such). Horrible transparency 

https://cu-citizenaccess.org/2023/06/pritzker-lawyers-and-insurers-helped-finance-illinois-supreme-court-elections-but-transparency-lacking-for-many-other-donors/

It's (D)ifferent when they do it.

I sent my complaints about the 2 Illinois Supreme Court Justices to the Judicial Inquiry Board on May 24th.  I received a confirmation letter today.

When I looked at the Judicial Inquiry Board website, they did not show a single judicial complaint in 2023.  I think they showed a total of 101 complaints since 1976.  I have a suspicion there have been over 100 complaints filed about these 2 Illinois Supreme Court justices in just the last few weeks.

On 6/9/2023 at 7:27 PM, Steve51 said:

I sent my complaints about the 2 Illinois Supreme Court Justices to the Judicial Inquiry Board on May 24th.  I received a confirmation letter today.

When I looked at the Judicial Inquiry Board website, they did not show a single judicial complaint in 2023.  I think they showed a total of 101 complaints since 1976.  I have a suspicion there have been over 100 complaints filed about these 2 Illinois Supreme Court justices in just the last few weeks.

Time will tell,  but lots of people submitted complaints. If they don’t publish the complaint summary(ies), it’s gonna cause problems 

on another note, the governor’s office missed their deadline today and failed to provide requested emails 

72E5D9BE-99BD-4671-99C8-F2945719EE07.thumb.jpeg.65c97a82307dc8068f2d66821c1dd25f.jpeg

On 6/9/2023 at 7:27 PM, Steve51 said:

I did TWO registered letters I only got one response back, maybe that's normal?

On 6/12/2023 at 6:04 PM, Steve51 said:

I also just got one response letter but I sent two certified letters.

I did call them and the lady I talked with put me on hold for about 5 minutes but confirmed they received both letters I sent them.

You should be able to confirm this online as well, if you did not get the tracking numbers, they were on your USPS receipt, if you have that you can visually see the signature. Yes I work for USPS. 

IIRC they are confidential unless and until the JIB acts on them, which almost never happens.  There is roughly a 100% chance the JIB will not act on these.

Its also meaningless.  To OVERTURN the SC of IL needs 4 judges votes.  That true whether its a panel of 7 or a panel of 3.  Knocking off 1 or 2 unfriendly judges tecnically does not increase your chances of winning, if you actually think about it

On 6/13/2023 at 5:31 AM, DaveIL said:

You should be able to confirm this online as well, if you did not get the tracking numbers, they were on your USPS receipt, if you have that you can visually see the signature. Yes I work for USPS. 

You are correct but in my case the tracking was showing both letters were "in the system to destination" but it went days and never changed.  I thought they were lost but my rural carrier said I should call them because she had delivered a certified letter and her posted transaction was never posted in the postal system.

I checked the postal tracking a couple of times after the inquiry board confirmed the receipt of my letters but still the tracking was showing the letters were in the system.  Tracking showed the letters in Chicago for 6 days before I called the Judicial Inquiry Board.  So, in my case, the tracking was useless.